Started a garden - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For more mature forum members to ramble about things of no interest to students (DIY etc.).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Kon
Tobacco is not easy to grow, it requires specific soil moisture, light and pruning techniques to produce meaningful amounts of cured tobacco (which is another process*
By roxunreal
Grow wormwood, make Absinthe, you will hallucinate like crazy and cut off your ear.

No you won't.

Yeah I was guessing about tobacco, I know most solanaceae plants are relatively easy to grow so I assumed.
The strawberries I planted last year are spreading like wildfire...this year I'm going to plant asparagus...

Can anyone suggest some other perennials for my sandy soil-Virginia latitude garden?
Plant a herb garden.

Easy to grow and they come on quickly. Many have nice flowers.

Useful for all sorts of cooking, smell nice, you can use them for tisanes or to make presents with. Infinitely useful.
By mikema63
I've got a big pot of herbs that I set up in a virile with 4 types on the edge and lavender in the center, there's also a small herb box in the kitchen.

We've got basil, spearmint, chives, lavender, parsley, thyme, and rosemary.
By MEAGAIN
We grow mostly veggys, we do have flowers that basically take care of themsleves here. We have raised beds, a huglekulture pile we started a year ago haven't planted it yet but its full of weeds.

We did really well with hydroponics which we used artificial fertilizer 'Master Blend' so far works best and is not expensive.

Got about 75 lb.s of tomatoes from hydros and lots of peppers,squash and greens.

Greenhouse cost too much to heat so we stopped growing in winter. Will start back in Feb.

I live down south and love watermellons my favorite fruit but can't grow one yet can grow everything else .
By Renato
I grow mostly succulent plants, like this one:

It's scientific name is pleiospilos nellii.

I find them quite fascinating and many don't require much space so I can keep them in small pots inside my house. I would love to have a garden proper though. This family of plants are adapted to dry climates so they require little water because they store it in their meaty leafs. At first, this sounds like an advantage because you don't need to water them as frequently as normal plants, but on the other hand it's easy as well to overwater and kill the plant. For example the plant above is specially sensitive to this problem. Many succulent plants are prone to form beautiful geometrical forms. For example echeverias:

Also I have some nepenthes and venus flytraps which belong to the carnivorous family. Not the easiest ones to grow (specially the picky nepenthes) but also they are quite intriguing.
By MEAGAIN
Decky wrote:I've never done flowers (rather than growing veg) as it's a pointless wasteful middle class diversion.

Are they harder or easier to grow than veg? How well to they cope with unexpected extremes of weather?

Ornamentals are alot easier to grow than vegs.
By Frollein
I had a salvia divinalis that died when I relocated Now I can't get another one cause the fucking German gov has outlawed it
Kon wrote:Tobacco is not easy to grow, it requires specific soil moisture, light and pruning techniques to produce meaningful amounts of cured tobacco (which is another process*

It's actually very easy to grow. Tobacco basically grows where tomatoes grow, i.e. it's happy in full sun and with good drainage. No pruning required either.

Drying and curing can be a bit involved, depending on what result you want.
By Potemkin
I had a salvia divinalis that died when I relocated Now I can't get another one cause the fucking German gov has outlawed it

Why not just nip over to Holland to get another, Frollein? You could also stock up on 'shrooms and weed while you're there. Hey, at least the Dutch are good for something besides wooden clogs, windmills and cheese, amirite?
By Frollein
There's a thought, Potemkin. Unfortunately, my car broke down (never buy a French car! Or an Italian one! Or really, never buy a non-German car) so my money will not be funnelled into enhancing my consciousness and becoming one with spirit this month...
By Potemkin
There's a thought, Potemkin. Unfortunately, my car broke down (never buy a French car! Or an Italian one! Or really, never buy a non-German car) so my money will not be funnelled into enhancing my consciousness and becoming one with spirit this month...

Next time, you should consider taking cuttings of the plant, and planting them in a sheltered spot of your garden. At first glance, salvia divinorum looks indistinguishable from any other mint plant, so you could have the satisfaction of knowing that you're growing a banned substance in your back garden under the authorities' noses and getting away with it. That's gotta be worth it alone.
By Frollein
Salvia is pretty sensitive to too much rain, too much wind, too much sun... too much everything. I'll see if I have better luck next time.
By anasawad
If you want to successfully gro anything. Grow some corn first and let it die, when it dies barry it and then grow what ever you want.
Doesn't have to fully grow, just keep it for a month or so then it'll probably die on its own since its not in a field.
By Frollein
Corn as in zea mays, or just any grain?

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]