Home remedies that really work... - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For more mature forum members to ramble about things of no interest to students (DIY etc.).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

You're bound to get that with an issue like this. Say you take a mineral tab before bed: calcium, magnesium and zinc. If you get through the winter without a cold was it because you were not exposed to one, or did the zinc spare you the illness. It's hard to prove a negative. My husband is more prone to catching colds because he's exposed to them daily, and I don't know if he takes the lozenges as early as I do. That's a subjective issue.

While I'm here, I'll mention that St John's Wort is good for depression/stress. In Germany, its the most recommended treatment for mild to moderate depression
Garlic for colds, best fresh, I like it diced up and mixed with butter on toast.

Eucalyptus for the same, put on a tissue and carry in shirt pocket, clears the nose. Eucalyptus lollies are good for the throat also

Gargling salt water also good for sore throats

Honey & lemon tea for the same

Aloe Vera (as mentioned above) is excellent for burns, sunburn especially, and makes a tasty cool summer drink too.

Melaleuca (tea tree oil) as antiseptic, boils, cuts, insect stings & bites

Curry & Mustard mix on a t-shirt for croup

Milkweed for warts and sunspots

Olive leaf extract for general well being and immune booster

Clove oil for tooth aches
Ginger is very good a few things like upset stomach and it has strong anti-inflammatory properties..

A bit of nutmeg helps stop diarrhea. Not too much, mind you.
The only one I've got is that mustard applied (like a salve and left on) immediately to a fresh burn, even severe second degree burns, completely numbs the pain of the burn. I poured a few cups of boiling bacon grease on my arm a few years ago and using mustard on it worked so well that I didn't even realize how severe it was until hours later.
Aloe leaves(like a gel inside them) for burns and cuts. Works like a damn, and is very soothing. My wife used to have a Aloe Vera plant.
Aloe helps the healing process regardless of the injury, but no it shouldn't be applied to an open wound(i.e. 3rd degree burns), from what I've read.

Aloe, a therapeutic healing plant, works both externally and internally. When used externally Aloe vera contains properties such as: astringent (causing a contraction of the skin, blood vessels, and other tissues stopping the fluid discharge), emollient (helps to soften and smooth the skin), antifungal (destroys fungi), and cell proliferant (quickly regrows new cells) used to heal wounds and burns.
http://www.herballegacy.com/Baldwin_Medicinal.html
pouring milk in your eye is good if you have something in it or your eye is irritated. Learned that one from my dad. didn't believe it until I tried it. messy as hell but it works.

Also if you chew on a piece of mint, it will make whatever you drink taste cold to you. Particularly good if you have warm water to drink. gives you the same sensation as if you were drinking cold water.
mikema63 wrote:We have some Alovera plants that work for burns.

There are a few plants you can grow that you can make a bitter tea out of that contains the active ingredient in aspirin.

For burns I use two or three eggs' yolks. This substance is very rich in collagen which helps to repair the damaged skin.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]