Gore Vidal dies at 86 - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Notices of a deaths of public figures or other significant or interesting people.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

User avatar
By Someneck
#14023012
His outstanding talent was carefree honesty in saying things we all know about ourselves but dare not say

I have an ex girlfriend who is like that

She is quite prepared to say she has shoplifting bouts - even to people she would like to impress

...and she does impress - because she is fearless
By Ignite
#14023013
Paradigm wrote:I'll always remember him as the guy who called William F. Buckley a crypto-nazi:

[youtube]nYymnxoQnf8[/youtube]

R.I.P.


Wow :eek: Buckley should have beat the fuck out of him for that. What a horrible person. I hope Gore Vidal learns his lesson in hell.
User avatar
By Someneck
#14023033
In Vietnam 50,000 Americans died and 500,000 were wounded either physically or mentally or both - and the USA got nothing out of that war and spent enormous amounts of money.

Anyone who proposed it and supported the idea of that war and continued it, was an enemy of the Americans who suffered

Anyone American who opposed it was a true hero and patriot
By Ignite
#14023261
Someneck wrote:In Vietnam 50,000 Americans died and 500,000 were wounded either physically or mentally or both - and the USA got nothing out of that war and spent enormous amounts of money.

Anyone who proposed it and supported the idea of that war and continued it, was an enemy of the Americans who suffered

Anyone American who opposed it was a true hero and patriot


You talk as if your opinion is fact. It's not. Not everyone saw it the way you interpret it now. Thanks for your opinion though just quit acting like your opinion is fact. ;)
User avatar
By Someneck
#14023605
Ignite wrote:
You talk as if your opinion is fact. It's not. Not everyone saw it the way you interpret it now. Thanks for your opinion though just quit acting like your opinion is fact. ;)



Like the opinion that Gore Vidal is now in hell is fact ? ..there is a "fact" you put forward

A debating forum is here for people to voice their opinions, although some people never do that and simply roam around the threads taking pot shots at other posters without posting a coherent counter argument or opinion of their own apart from some religious belief that they try and impose as fact

.. and I don't need be thanked in a sarcastic manner...sincerity is so important
By Ignite
#14023611
Someneck wrote:

Like the opinion that Gore Vidal is now in hell is fact ? ..there is a "fact" you put forward

A debating forum is here for people to voice their opinions, although some people never do that and simply roam around the threads taking pot shots at other posters without posting a coherent counter argument or opinion of their own apart from some religious belief that they try and impose as fact

.. and I don't need be thanked in a sarcastic manner...sincerity is so important


Naw it's not fact. That's only my opinion! Who knows what has become of him. No one knows for certain. Was just stating my opinion.

Huh? Seriously thanks for your opinion. I'm not being sarcastic.

P.S. I swear that the PM I just sent you is out of good faith. I really think you can contribute positively to the thread I sent you in the PM. We may disagree on a lot....well close to everything but I haven't dismissed you as a poster. Compared to others you gold.
User avatar
By Someneck
#14023626
Ignite wrote:
Naw it's not fact. That's only my opinion! Who knows what has become of him. No one knows for certain. Was just stating my opinion.

Huh? Seriously thanks for your opinion. I'm not being sarcastic.

P.S. I swear that the PM I just sent you is out of good faith. I really think you can contribute positively to the thread I sent you in the PM. We may disagree on a lot....well close to everything but I haven't dismissed you as a poster. Compared to others you gold.



I bask in the warm glow of your approval and that I haven't been dismissed as a poster



.
By Ignite
#14023631
Someneck wrote:

I bask in the warm glow of your approval and that I haven't been dismissed as a poster





:| What's your problem? I'm trying to make amends and you're being a total.....well you're just being really way too acute.
#14024008
Ignite wrote: :| What's your problem? I'm trying to make amends and you're being a total.....well you're just being really way too acute.


I dismissed him as a [poor] poster. Even if you can get past his horrible prose, the content of his posts doesn't go past reflexive and superficial anti-American socialist ramblings.
Last edited by Thunderhawk on 06 Aug 2012 03:24, edited 1 time in total. Reason: #2
User avatar
By Someneck
#14024185
Oleh Hadash wrote:....



The right wing always claim America and the flag and anyone who is against them is Communist/Socialist/Kenyan etc

It is the people who see the problems every day and refuse to change anything about America who are un-patriotic and anti-American

namely - your side

Reactionaries /Conservatives who want to keep the best and the worst about America

Progressives want to keep the best and discard the worst.

Vidal had a similar outlook but wasn't as plain speaking as me - he was more prissy in that pseudo intellectual colonial style that we can sample ever day. He did have a boyfriend for 50 years and didn't know how to roger him - so that demonstrates the point

ps I am not a socialist.
User avatar
By QatzelOk
#14024651
William Buckley is a pretentious douche and a charlatan. In a taped interview, he used the expression "a priori" without any sense of what it means, apparently trotting it out to impress the TV audience.

And his "argument" against Gore Vidal in really just snarky posturing and ad hom.

If only media didn't feed Americans so many William Buckleys, perhaps the nation would be closer in wisdom to Gore Vidal.
User avatar
By Someneck
#14024665
I once dated the daughter of a type 21 U-boat commander

She told me her dad used to say to her brother "other mothers have pretty daughters"

I can't argue with that piece of wisdom uttered from the lips of a committed nazi
User avatar
By Donna
#14030329
Wolfman wrote:So, you consider random accusations of being a crypto-nazi wisdom?


Those kind of accusations had merit in the 60's. Post-war anti-communism, which of course culminated in South-East Asian aggression and of which Buckley was closely associated with, inherited plenty of fascist tendencies. The fascist movement, after all, had monopolized militant anti-communism until 1945. This is the generation of conservatism that shaped our very own Far-Right Sage, you know.
By Wolfman
#14030345
So, because he was an anti-Communist, and anti-Communism once meant "fascism" it is acceptable to accuse him of being a Nazi? I'm going to let you know this right now: that behavior is never acceptable. If you said that to me at any point in history, you would very quickly find yourself being beaten to death. Buckley demonstrated stunning self control in not killing Gore Vidal in that interview.
#14030348
Buckley was somewhere between a neo-conservative and a paelo conservative not a fascist or "crypto-nazi"...
User avatar
By Donna
#14030366
Wolfman wrote:So, because he was an anti-Communist, and anti-Communism once meant "fascism" it is acceptable to accuse him of being a Nazi?


In the context of the aggression against South-East Asia, it is and was acceptable. What was happening in Vietnam and Cambodia and other places was a continuation of the militant anti-communism of the Third Position. Liberals are of course in denial of the fact that fascism incrementally emerged from liberal societies and institutions. This was, after all, what had ignited the initial ferocity of the New Left; when your government enables the continued legitimacy of surviving fascist projects (Franco, Salazar, et al.) because of their anti-communism, when anti-communism in your society is saturated with racism, when anti-communism is used to justify aggressive military campaigns and resist de-colonialism (and the list goes on), it is legitimately difficult to distinguish between the liberal society that had permitted fascism's rise and fascism itself, despite ideological disparities. The post-war left was especially pivotal in Italy, Germany, and Japan, for example.

Wolfman wrote: I'm going to let you know this right now: that behavior is never acceptable. If you said that to me at any point in history, you would very quickly find yourself being beaten to death. Buckley demonstrated stunning self control in not killing Gore Vidal in that interview.


Please provide an actual argument instead of making infantile threats of violence toward my person.
By Wolfman
#14030367
Please provide an actual argument instead of making infantile threats of violence toward my person.


I would have something to say, but I'm trying very hard to be a good boy.

Great find @ingliz .

Antifa are anarchist loosers they can not start a […]

Donald in the Bunker

Looks like donald is reaping the hatred, anger an[…]

Democrats praise and fund the biggest killer of bl[…]