RIP John McAfee.... - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Notices of a deaths of public figures or other significant or interesting people.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By B0ycey
Heisenberg wrote:I'd imagine he probably pissed off quite a few nasty bastards in his time, to be fair.

:lol:

Probably. My first instinct is colliric speak bollocks and I don't know whether he was talking about Al Capone or McAfee, but what I do know is neither wanted to go to jail to be safe.
By Potemkin
B0ycey wrote::lol:

Probably. My first instinct is colliric speak bollocks and I don't know whether he was talking about Al Capone or McAfee, but what I do know is neither wanted to go to jail to be safe.

Actually, Capone deliberately got arrested one time so he could be in jail at a time when Bugs Moran was gunning for him. He had a track record for this, so it's not impossible. Capone was always terrified of Bugs Moran, who was a crazier bastard than even Affable Al himself. On his deathbed, when he was delirious with tertiary syphilis, Capone died convinced that Bugs Moran was after him again and was about to kill him.
By B0ycey
Potemkin wrote:Actually, Capone deliberately got arrested one time so he could be in jail at a time when Bugs Moran was gunning for him. He had a track record for this, so it's not impossible. Capone was always terrified of Bugs Moran, who was a crazier bastard than even Affable Al himself. On his deathbed, when he was delirious with tertiary syphilis, Capone died convinced that Bugs Moran was after him again and was about to kill him.

I take your word for it Pote. But given he wasn't happy with his defence and went after the jury before the trial took place, my instinct is this time he wanted to stay out of prison. Just a hunch.
B0ycey wrote:I take your word for it Pote. But given he wasn't happy with his defence and went after the jury before the trial took place, my instinct is this time he wanted to stay out of prison. Just a hunch.

I actually agree with you about his trial for tax evasion - he clearly wanted to avoid jail time, because he wasn't just looking at a few days in the slammer where he could hide out from Bugs Moran. He could die in prison, and he did. I've even read rumours that his lawyer had been bribed to betray Capone and lodge a guilty plea at the last minute. The movie The Untouchables hints at this - they even show Capone punching out his lawyer when he realises he's been set up. Lol.
Crantag wrote:America is the only country in the world that has a global citizen's tax on all income earned anywhere in the world. The last country to have such a law was Nazi Germany. The US is a fascist shithole.

So uhh, not paying taxes is somehow okay now? :roll:
JohnRawls wrote:So uhh, not paying taxes is somehow okay now? :roll:

Colonial farmers revolted against Britain. They didn't want to pay taxes to Britain. America was founded and raised on "not paying taxes" principle.
By Potemkin
JohnRawls wrote:So uhh, not paying taxes is somehow okay now? :roll:

He's saying that paying taxes twice is not okay.
By Crantag
wat0n wrote:There are double taxation agreements to sort that out.

Not in the US.

Granted, foreign earned income for Americans is exempt up to some hundred and something grand (which I've never made, so never really affected me, although the requirement of reporting bank accounts over $10,000 is also bullshit).

Americans over the income threshold though are subject to double taxation.
By wat0n
Crantag wrote:Not in the US.

Granted, foreign earned income for Americans is exempt up to some hundred and something grand (which I've never made, so never really affected me, although the requirement of reporting bank accounts over $10,000 is also bullshit).

Americans over the income threshold though are subject to double taxation.

It seems it depends on the treaty, and it's a two-way street:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/internat ... ies-a-to-z
By colliric
B0ycey wrote:Funny. He was begging to be realised because he didn't want to spend the rest of his life in jail and you say he was safer in jail. Seems to me if you believe that he was most definitely on a suicide mission. :lol:

Nonetheless you imply he was murderer and then write RIP in the title? Seems to me this guy deserves a meh.

That post was about Al Capone. Not John McAfee.
By wat0n
Crantag wrote:That was about foreign tax liabilities for residents of foreign countries who earn income in the US.

The US has a global citizens' tax. And I characterized it pretty correctly.

It includes American citizens who earn income abroad ("Under these same treaties, residents or citizens of the United States are taxed at a reduced rate, or are exempt from foreign taxes, on certain items of income they receive from sources within foreign countries. Most income tax treaties contain what is known as a "saving clause" which prevents a citizen or resident of the United States from using the provisions of a tax treaty in order to avoid taxation of U.S. source income")

I agree though that this is a rather intrusive system, but it's entirely possible that as the economy globalizes this becomes used more widely.
By Crantag
wat0n wrote:It includes American citizens who earn income abroad ("Under these same treaties, residents or citizens of the United States are taxed at a reduced rate, or are exempt from foreign taxes, on certain items of income they receive from sources within foreign countries. Most income tax treaties contain what is known as a "saving clause" which prevents a citizen or resident of the United States from using the provisions of a tax treaty in order to avoid taxation of U.S. source income")

I agree though that this is a rather intrusive system, but it's entirely possible that as the economy globalizes this becomes used more widely.

It seemed to refer in passing to American citizens who are residents of foreign countries, with respect to their foreign tax liabilities for income earned in the US.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna ... -exclusion

In 2021, Americans who are bonafide residents of a foreign country, with their tax home in the foreign country, are exempt from US taxes up to $108,000.

I had to file my taxes (and was exempt, since I didn't make near that much) when I was living abroad for years, and had to pass that 'bonafide resident' test, so I sorta have a little experience with this topic.
By wat0n
Crantag wrote:It seemed to refer in passing to American citizens who are residents of foreign countries, with respect to their foreign tax liabilities for income earned in the US.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna ... -exclusion

In 2021, Americans who are bonafide residents of a foreign country, with their tax home in the foreign country, are exempt from US taxes up to $108,000.

I had to file my taxes (and was exempt, since I didn't make near that much) when I was living abroad for years, and had to pass that 'bonafide resident' test, so I sorta have a little experience with this topic.

Depending on the treaty, you could be exempt for more than $108k.
@Crantag

No matter where you go, you are going to find serious problems. It's one thing to visit a country, quite another to live in another country and the grass is always greener on the other side. It's all what you make of it Crantag. It's up to you and your responsibility to make your life better. Personally, I think the U.S. is an awesome and great country and feel privileged to be an American citizen. I am a lucky guy. But I also believe in helping others who less fortunate when I can too. I also recognize it's not perfect, but no place is. And no,I have zero sympathy for those who try to dodge paying taxes. I was actually very proud to pay taxes when I ran my own business. I felt I was contributing and I like to contribute.
By Crantag
Politics_Observer wrote:@Crantag

No matter where you go, you are going to find serious problems. It's one thing to visit a country, quite another to live in another country and the grass is always greener on the other side. It's all what you make of it Crantag. It's up to you and your responsibility to make your life better. Personally, I think the U.S. is an awesome and great country and feel privileged to be an American citizen. I am a lucky guy. But I also believe in helping others who less fortunate when I can too. I also recognize it's not perfect, but no place is. And no,I have zero sympathy for those who try to dodge paying taxes. I was actually very proud to pay taxes when I ran my own business. I felt I was contributing and I like to contribute.

You speak to me as though I am not someone who has been around the world, and spent about a decade living in multiple foreign countries. :|
@Crantag

I know you have been around the world and I have too. It's just that you and I have a difference of opinion. I am a proud American citizen. But not everybody is going to agree with each other.
By colliric
Crantag wrote:You speak to me as though I am not someone who has been around the world, and spent about a decade living in multiple foreign countries. :|

You ever lived in Australia or NZ?
Iran is going to attack Israel

Iran's attack on the Zionist entity, a justified a[…]

No seems to be able to confront what the consequen[…]

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781393888227311712

I like what Chomsky has stated about Manufacturin[…]