Club- Suggestions/Requests - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Private discussion areas.
I suppose what I had in mind was more a user group for academics to commiserate about students, department/university politics, research, etc, more than just a forum for intellectual discussion. Of course, my own idiosyncratic image of the group doesn't have to dictate what happens, so carry on.
Nets wrote:I suppose what I had in mind was more a user group for academics to commiserate about students, department/university politics, research, etc, more than just a forum for intellectual discussion. Of course, my own idiosyncratic image of the group doesn't have to dictate what happens, so carry on.

That's what I thought the original idea was about as well instead of a club with people interested in academia (perhaps something like PoFo Education may be more appropriate?).
I fully intend to have a focus on academia, have papers posted, discuss our work, educational programs, grants, etc.

I was also thinking that any in club arguments should have a higher standard of citing and general logical arguments, I get tired of seeing unsourced posts that make wild claims about how the world works.

But I also intend to have an somewhat open membership, as long as a poster is interested, not a total troll, and doesn't spam the club, I see no reason to exclude them. It is after all, not going to become an ideological club.

I will however ban a poster for egregious behavior or by a vote of the members.

Fair enough?
I like the idea Mike, and since I'm planning for going in to the academia, I would love to see what goodies the private club will supply with.
But what would you talk about if it's not about a certain ideology(obviously), certain field(I see a wide range of expertise from political to natural sciences), etc.?
A more hardcore debate club is it?
Discussions of ideology, where they happen, will be academic and historical discussions. There are clubs (or possible clubs) for biased discussions and activism.

All fields of research can be discussed and of course the day to day business of academia, paper writing, grants, connections, etc. are similar between fields.

Hardcore debate would be good as well.

I'm open for suggestions for other things.
I may be interested in the Academic club since I just completed my master's thesis. The only issue is that it is quite specific to developments in Marxist Theory/Philosophy so it may not be of interest to all folks involved to discuss the kind of work I did at least.
I don't think it will necessarily be an issue, if anyone doesn't want to discuss it academically they can not say anything at all.

I would, at least, be interested in seeing it.

I'll add you.
There, I thought everyone I PM'd fox with was added automatically but I had to go in and do it myself.

I was wondering why nobody was posting in there.

Well now everyone is added and we have 8 subscribers and 5 non subscribers so we have plenty of room to add more members.
I'd like to join, I'm about to finish my MA. I don't intend to center my professional career on research, though, but I would like to remain in contact with my thesis' advisor and research as a secondary activity. Honestly, I'm burnt out after doing this MA.

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over main[…]

The rapes by Hamas, real or imagained are irreleva[…]

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia coul[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]