- 10 C = bike to work. Halleluja - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

QatzelOk wrote:I don't think this is true. I'm not tougher than you.

I used to think it would be crazy, dangerous, and maybe impossible to ride a bike in the winter in Montreal. But because of our bike network, and because most of it is snow-cleared, it's not only possible, but very fun.

Thing is, you have to get acclimatized to something as outside your comfort zone as riding in snow.

No way, Qatz, I would die in those temperatures. I am weak AF when it comes to cold weather...but to avoid sounding like a baby I think it's easier if I just say I'm brown and that's why I can't handle cold temps. :D

Speaking of cyclists...
Pants-of-dog wrote:I stopped keeping track after fifteen years.

I didn't realize you were old enough to have accumulated more than a decade of winter cycling. All 15 years in Montreal, or elsewhere?

skinster wrote:...it's easier if I just say I'm brown and that's why I can't handle cold temps.

It might be easier, but it doesn't seem true.

The first person I ever knew who biked regularly was one of my exes.... from Colombia. Okay, he was "golden", and not "brown". But I really don't think pigment distribution hurts/helps with winter biking. It's all in the clothing and studded tires.
QatzelOk wrote:I didn't realize you were old enough to have accumulated more than a decade of winter cycling. All 15 years in Montreal, or elsewhere?

A few years were here in Edmonton.

It is a lot drier here. The sand, salt, and dry snow combine to make a dry powder that has the same consistency as brown sugar. I actually prefer Montreal slush.
QatzelOk wrote:It might be easier, but it doesn't seem true.

It is true, habibi! I don't do well in the cold but if I was forced into it, I suppose I might be able to. I think the weather is weirdly moving to 40s/50s for just next week so I plan to take my bike to and from work with me for some of the days. I wish this godamn city was cyclist friendly tho. It's not, at all. :*(
Pants-of-dog wrote:A few years were here in Edmonton.

It is a lot drier here. The sand, salt, and dry snow combine to make a dry powder that has the same consistency as brown sugar. I actually prefer Montreal slush.

Here in Montreal, the last few winters have had several slushy melts that have frozen into plywood-thick plaques of ice with ice pot-holes in them. Today, they are covered in brown sugar and we had freezing rain at -13 degrees. But it was really nice to cycle, though a work-out.

Over-heating was a problem today, and of course, freezing raindrops on ski goggles.

It's as fun as cross-country skiing if your city clears enough bike lanes and cyclists have dedicated spaces and huge amounts of attitude.

The most attitude-possessing winter cyclists in Montreal are called hurluberlus.

I guess I'm one of them. Three weeks ago, I biked from my house to Quebec City on mixed conditions. Three days of warm motels and sushi along le Chemin du roy (138). It was above freezing the entire time.

Deliberately ignoring evidence showing IDF air str[…]

Indeed. It is strange, but they're all over the in[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Again, there is a difference between in situ concr[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ay43E94W58 :D […]