Collector Car Auctions? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By BigSteve
This may be a uniquely American thing, but does anyone here watch or attend collector car auctions, such as Mecum or Barrett-Jackson?

I attend the Mecum auction in Kissimmee, Florida every January. It's the single largest collector car auction in the world, and they always have some stunning vehicles going across the block.

This year, they're auctioning off the Mustang that Steve McQueen drove in the movie "Bullitt":

"Bullitt" Mustang

They're also auctioning off the first L88 Corvette, a 1967 Corvette convertible. It's expected to sell somewhere in the $2 million range:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-397340/1967-chevrolet-corvette-l88-convertible/?utm_source=AAInfoNet+Master&utm_campaign=0c3a5f5932-FL20_S177_L88&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa410e9114-0c3a5f5932-115903089&goal=0_fa410e9114-0c3a5f5932-115903089&mc_cid=0c3a5f5932&mc_eid=eff7e911ac

I've bought cars there over the years and, while I'm not looking for anything in particular this year, you never know what could happen. They always have "consumer grade" cars that sell for next to nothing. A few years back they had a 2004 Mini Cooper, with 4,600 miles on it, sell for $4,800.

This year they're going to have a 2015 Zagato Perana going across the block, but I'm pretty sure my accountant will have a stroke if I did that.

Zagato Perana

Anyone?
By Drlee
I attended Barrett-Jackson in Phoenix twice. It was great fun. Never bought anything there but you are right they had some affordable real cuties. I watch it on TV whenever it comes around.
I did Barrett Jackson down in Palm Beach two years ago. I actually had a media credential for that, so my meals were taken care of and they had a nice, air conditioned media center.

I was a bit surprised at how small it was in comparison to Mecum Kissimmee. But that's a double edged sword. As cool as it is to be able to see all of those cool vehicles, it's impossible to see them all. I think they've got over 3,500 vehicles slated for Kissimmee...
By Drlee
That is the thing. There are so many. The application process for bidding was really easy. I did not need to do it but who knows what might catch your eye. I did a letter of credit from my bank and that worked pretty well.
Last time I went with a friend and we did the bronze VIP package which was $700.00 each IIR but it included three nights in the hotel, view of the staging lane and decent food. Since the tickets for the Thurs, Friday and Saturday were about $50.00 a day or something like that this seemed like a good deal.

I had this off my radar for this year but you reminded me that Scottsdale is only a month off. I may have to think about it.
Drlee wrote:That is the thing. There are so many. The application process for bidding was really easy. I did not need to do it but who knows what might catch your eye. I did a letter of credit from my bank and that worked pretty well.

That's what I did, as well.

At Kissimmee last January, I had a letter of credit and $18K in cash, but didn't buy anything. I bid on a couple of Benz roadsters, but the prices were just going too high for them. A car that would get a top bid of $15K on a Tuesday will climb to over $22K on Saturday, just because it's the weekend and more bidders show up.

Funny aside: My buddy bought his 1966 Corvette at Mecum Kissimmee back when the auction was held in a tent at the fairgrounds. Last January he went for the first time since buying that car; not sure how long ago, but several years. When he got his bidder package in the mail, he was issued the same bidder number he had years ago. Apparently, once you're issued your number, that's your number for life...

Last time I went with a friend and we did the bronze VIP package which was $700.00 each IIR but it included three nights in the hotel, view of the staging lane and decent food. Since the tickets for the Thurs, Friday and Saturday were about $50.00 a day or something like that this seemed like a good deal.

I didn't get a bidder's badge at Barrett-Jackson, just the media credential. The Gold package at Mecum is $500. That gets you into all of their auctions for a full year, preferred seating, complimentary drinks and a guest pass (in addition to the bidder badge), but obviously not a hotel. Me and a buddy are splitting a three bedroom condo at Saratoga Resort Villas in Kissimmee. If you're ever down there, check it out. We're paying $129 a night for four nights (and that includes a Friday and Saturday). Pat and his girl will have one room, me and the hot Puerto Rican babe will have another, and then the third bedroom is just in case any friends want to come down for a night. It's got a living room, full kitchen, pool, restaurant and bar; the whole nine...

I had this off my radar for this year but you reminded me that Scottsdale is only a month off. I may have to think about it.

Barrett-Jackson happens in April here in Florida. As much as they take care of media in the media center, they don't take very good care of us on the auction floor.They corral media onto this little stand that sits off to the side and it gets really crowded. I was a bit put off by it, to be honest. And, if you happen to be walking from the entrance to the stand and see a cool car on the stage, you're not allowed to stop and take a shot. They're just really restrictive.

In contrast, At Mecum, about the only place I'm not allowed to go is the ladies room. if you watch Mecum Kissimmee on television, it wouldn't be surprising to see me at the end of the strip, photographing cars as they come across and get their yellow sticker. You can literally walk anywhere and, if you arrange it before the day starts, you can even get a half hour on the auctioneer's stand. I've yet to do that, but I'm definitely going to look into it this year.

Now, with all that said, I would love to attend Barrett-Jackson in Arizona, as well as visit their showroom...
By Drlee
If you come out to Arizona we will have to get a drink. I only live about 150 miles south and may be there anyway. I'm sure we could solve all of the problems of the world over a few Coronas.
Drlee wrote:If you come out to Arizona we will have to get a drink. I only live about 150 miles south and may be there anyway. I'm sure we could solve all of the problems of the world over a few Coronas.

Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale starts the day before Mecum Kissimmee ends. Ergo, Imma be a bit tied up!
By Drlee
True. Maybe another year.

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]