Volkswagen Golf TDI - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Maxim Litvinov
So my brother's ancient 20-year-old Ford Loser was involved in an accident and will be written off...

A Ford Laser.

He's now wanting a replacement small car, knows nothing about cars, but wants something that is smallish, a hatchback, fuel efficient, automatic transmission, cheapish and potentially flexible - he's thinking diesel might be good considering anticipated future problems with the petrol market.

Although they're a bit ugly, I initially recommended the Mazda2, simply because we've had good experiences with Mazda. But then we discovered that one of the cheapest and nicest diesel hatchbacks around was the Volkswagen Golf TDI. He's basically sold on it at the moment, despite having only done about an hour or so of internet browsing with me.

Anyway, another excuse for people who care way too much about cars to talk about cheap hatchbacks and shit. If you have a good suggestion for something on the Aussie market for around $15-$25000 US, that is a decent hatchback, automatic, smallish and hopefully fuel efficient then post your alternative.

By Boondock Saint
I own a VW Jetta, I can only say that I am happy with teh quality that VW puts out ...

I know it doesnt help much but ... I ... well ... I wanted attention.
By Maxim Litvinov
Helpful enough - as I said, I'd recommend Mazda simply because I like the car I use and it's a Mazda. So having a fairly new Volkswagen and liking it is fair enough reason to consider the Golf mightn't be bad.
By Notorious B.i.G.
I see that your location says Sydney. The Australia Diesel market is a bit of a joke. Diesel cars cost more to buy by upwards of $2500 and Diesel petrol is more expensive then ULP. Unless your brother is going to have the car for over 10 years or drive more then 100,000 km a year the investment isn't worth it.
By ness
oh, oh....I have a Mazda too and its great. it has cup holders and everything Image
By Maxim Litvinov
I see that your location says Sydney. The Australia Diesel market is a bit of a joke. Diesel cars cost more to buy by upwards of $2500 and Diesel petrol is more expensive then ULP. Unless your brother is going to have the car for over 10 years or drive more then 100,000 km a year the investment isn't worth it.

Well, you are right about the cost - the diesel VW is exactly $2500 more than the ULP one. But -
[1] Diesel is more expensive now (in Oz, not Europe), but its price is likely to be more stable as it isn't as linked to the oil markets and their shocks.
[2] Diesel cars are more fuel efficient, so although the fuel costs more, the ongoing costs are actually less.

So, assume my brother drives 10000km a year corresponding to the 'city' fuel efficiences of the two comparable cars --

ULP = 132.9 cents a litre
Diesel= 142.5 cents a litre
2.0 Automatic Golf FSI (ULP) = 8.6L/100km
2.0 Automatic Golf TDI (Diesel) = 6.1L/100km

So, each year the ULP model costs $1142.94 in fuel. It also needs at least 16 trips to the petrol station to fill up and emits 2.06 tonnes of CO2. By comparison, the Diesel model costs $869.25 in fuel. It also needs only 12 trips to the petrol station to fill up and emits 410kg less C02.

So, as we know the diesel model is $2500 more, we can in fact see that it would take less than a decade to pay for itself, and be a bit better in other areas - insured more against a volatile oil market, refilled less often and better for the environment. Considering they've had their present car for over 20 years now, it sounds like a good deal.
By Adrien
Volkswagen are great choices, even more so if you can pay them for a reasonnable price, although I don't know how they are financially positioned compared to the other brands in Australia.

They're great because they are well built, have very modern engines (the two combined meaning that they will grow old without the shadow of a problem), and can very well resist to the loss of value due to the passing years. If you want to sell back your VW on the second hand market years from now, you won't have a problem.

Oh and the dealers are usually serious too.
By Notorious B.i.G.
True. As more car manufactures produce diesel cars and diesel technology becomes more popular the price of diesel fuel will drop. However I wouldn’t expect to see a significant drop until the Australian manufactures get onboard the diesel train.

Time and distance are the big factor in the equation. If you are someone who buys a car every 3-4 years then it doesn’t make much sense (also diesel cars to not retain the same re-sale value) but yeah if your brother holds onto it for 20 years again!! well it’s a top choice. Will it be a Mk IV of Mk V Golf?
By Maxim Litvinov
No idea. It will probably be a 1.9L Comfortline Golf TDI as a new car. If they are up to Mk V, then it will be Mk V.
By Notorious B.i.G.
Yeah the latest one is a MK V

I've had both a Mk IV and Mk V

I was going to say if the can get a low KM late model Mk IV they should get it. I beleive they drive much smoother, less noisey (though diesle engines are noisey anyway) and less things fall of it!
By scooby
Don't know which versions are on the Australian market, but try the Golf 6 Speed PD6 version, quick but the 6th gear gives up to 55mpg, like Ford Focus 2litre diesel up to 60 mpg
By Klontius Pilatus
I bought a 1.4 Turbo Diesel VW Polo about six months ago. I'm the happiest man alive. It's got a stupid little three cylinder engine, but it's real nippy. Fuel Economy is good. I get about 19 km on a litre diesel. Runs 209 km an hour with four people in it. Sweet little thing.

In the West we're all fighting the Nazis Well […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

There is a guest lecture about this in that Ukrai[…]

@FiveofSwords A person's academic work should[…]

I find it bizarre that people like @Unthinking M[…]