my car tax - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Thunderhawk
Canada is introducing an additional tax on cars based their emissions, around 1-4k depending on emissions levels.

Last night, for some reason, my dream included the concept of taxes on buying a car. The rest of the dream aside, the tax idea in that dream was interesting, and what I want to talk about.

What if the tax for buying a car was changed to that of its mileage?

If a car gets 15.5 L/100km, then the 'tax' would be 15.5%
If a car gets 7.0 L/100km, then the 'tax' would be 7.0%

The mileage would be left to the car/dealership company to determine.

If they state a mileage that is believed false, then its up to the individual to determine the truth. If that individual (law firm) does a recognized study and proves the stated value is falsely low, then the car company/dealership is open to lawsuits.. many many lawsuits :D

thoughts?
By satan
Is that tax per year or at time of purchase?

I like your idea about altering the tax rate for effeciency, it gives the market an incentive to improve the vehicles. I would also factor in actual usage. A person driving once a week should not pay the same rate as a person driving all day, every day.
By Thunderhawk
My mileage tax would be at time of purchase.

For usage.. we already have 20 cents (or more) per litre worth of tax on gas.
By satan
It seems the tax you are proposing would be seperate from the emissions tax. If the goal of the tax is to promote vehicles with lower emissions I don't see how your proposal would help unless their is a direct link between gas mileage and emission levels.
By Thunderhawk
I don't see how your proposal would help unless their is a direct link between gas mileage and emission levels.

:eh:
Emissions levels are, in part, based on mileage.

Taxing gas (which we already do) is the easiest way to tax emission production.

@Sherlock Holmes you really need to do some read[…]

No one claimed that humans are a social construct[…]

I don't find it surprising mainstream media will a[…]

You couldn't make this up

Pro-Israel Recipients Money from Pro-Israe[…]