Favourite car by category - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

layman wrote:I recently purchased a Jaguar ipace e400 which I would suggest could be the best family car/ all rounder in the world loads of space, cheap service and fuel, high driving position but very fast and good handling/comfort combination.
Best suv is full fat ranger Rover svr
Best gt luxury I think Mercedes s63 coupe
Best sports car would be alpine a110 for my tastes. Don’t like super cars.

The Jaguar iPace e400 is a great car indeed. It is probably the best all-rounder out there.

For me the best all-rounder and my dream car was the BMW M5, what you lose in fuel consumption you earn in happy grins and burned rubber, the most incredible comfort/dynamic mode combination ever and lots of female eyes on you. The only thing that had started putting me off a little bit was the weight of the car and the fact that the car at high speeds felt a little bit disconnected from the road as it hid the speed quite well and while that appeals to some people, when you are on attack mode you really want that connection, noise and feedback from the road. In Greece on my own in the car, I achieved speeds of 320km/h on the Garmin GPS rather than the tachometre which is total bonkers for a family sedan. It hauled the entire family luggage and all 3 kids from Britain to Greece in comfort and style and when you are reasonable the fuel consumption is at 35mpg which is incredible for a car that had 711 bhp measured on a dyno.

Anyway funny story coming up....

On the weekend of the 23-25th of March, I took my son to his first international fencing competition in Poland(incredible country btw) in Wraclow. On Sunday night the 25th we returned back home and picked up the car from Stansted, 500 yards away from home, the engine seized and even though I had warranty with the car I decided to put it on ebay and eventually sold it within hours cause a Russian guy from London made me an offer I could not resist.

From then it took me a long time to find a replacement for my car. I wanted something lighter, so I considered the C63 AMG and the M3. The AMG put me off and that goes for all AMG cars because the suspension is incredibly firm to the point that the car becomes unbearable after 20 mins of driving in comfort mode. AMG cars are unfortunately like that which is too bad because they have amazing interiors, very good engines and incredible exhaust notes. Very theatrical cars but totally uncomfortable and not as dynamic as the BMW's. The M3 put me off because it felt a bit lacking in power and oomph. However it is in fact the most incredible all-rounder car and a lot more dynamic and fun in the corners than an M5. It is after all 350kg(2000kg vs 1650kg) lighter but still a 5 door sedan. The S63 AMG is the only AMG that has a comfortable suspension but it is a boat car weighing way over 2.1 tonnes making the car not very dynamic and seriously putting into question its AMG credentials. After all if it handles like an S500 then what is the point of the AMG badge?

Anyhow, since I was disappointed with all these cars and the AUDI's(RS4, RS6) felt too heavy, overpriced, outdated and not very dynamic in sport mode, I considered the possibility that perhaps it is time for me to get a compact SUV(I need to tow stuff, plus our house is in a gravel road) as an all-rounder and so I narrowed my options down to 2 cars.

The Porsche Macan and the Range Rover Evoque Dynamic. The Porsche Macan is indeed the better car out of the 2 in almost all respects but I went for the Range because it is 10k cheaper and the differences between the 2 are so minuscule that are not 10k worth in my view. As I said I wanted something lighter and more compact than the M5, both of these cars are more narrow, smaller and much lighter 300kg less than an M5 so they feel more nimble and much less boaty. They also have great fuel consumption and they can be driven fast enough as well.

Last weekend I took my son to his second fencing competition in Paris and we drove there. It was me, my son, another dad and his son from our fencing club. I picked them up from London and we all drove together to Paris this past Friday. I parked the car outside our Hotel(Novotel), we went to have dinner and then came back to the hotel at around 12pm at night. Woke up in the morning, the car had disappeared. Called the police, they told me to go there Monday, I said we are leaving Sunday, they didn't care.

In France they have a website you can check if your car has been towed by putting your reg number but the system only works for French cars, my car showed that it had not been towed. I ignored the police guy and went to the police station regardless on Saturday morning. The police station was filthy and the officers there totally unhelpful. They checked their database and told me the car has not been towed, it's been stolen, so come back Monday to make a statement. I told them: "have you guys called the garage or did you just check the same website I did which is only for French reg numbers?" They were both like: "oh right, we better call them", they called them and 2 mins later they said: "Sorry your car has been stolen, not towed, wait here and we will take your statement in a few minutes". Literally 5 hours later, me and my son were still waiting to declare the crime in Paris in the heat with no air-con.

Eventually, we made the declaration, called my insurance, wrote off the car and went to have dinner with the rest of the team. I took it quite well, cause I thought this was fate telling me I should get the M3 or the Macan instead and was already planning to buy either 1 of the 2 with the insurance compensation. However, a Russian father of a fencer from our team, told me that the French police are stupid and that his brother-in-law who lives in Paris can definitely find the car in the towing department, after all he had seen my car outside the hotel at 7am when he woke up to go to the sports centre as his son was fencing saturday instead of sunday, so what kind of idiot would steal a car in broad daylight parked outside Novotel? I gave him my reg number and sure enough 5 mins later we had the location of the car. It had been towed indeed and was waiting in the parking area to be picked up, I went there Saturday night to pick the car up but they would not release the car unless I went back to the police station to cancel the previous declaration of theft. And so I did, but the police station would not open the door at 11pm because the officers in there were having beers and chatting. I kept ringing the bell and they kept telling me to wait, so I went around, and found an open window and the guys in there chatting drinking beer, so I called them and said "s'il vous plaît monsier" open the door please. Instead of acknowledging my presence they shut the window and then I started shouting at them that my son is all alone in the hotel and that I really need my car. The French police fucker came out to open the door, screaming at me: "what do you want?" while holding his gun. I calmly explained to him the situation, we went to his office, cancelled the declaration and off I went and picked my car up. Sunday my son was fencing and after he finished, we all came back to the UK.

2 international fencing competitions, almost 2 cars gone!!
jimjam wrote:I've got my eye on a 1985 Chevy Cavalier. While I am a highly successful and wealthy businessman I avoid pretentious shows of wealth and prefer to travel through this life in a humble fashion. :lol:

You and Howard Hughes. He had a fleet of plain Jane Chevrolet Belairs. 8)
@noemon i love the idea of super saloons but the problem for me isn’t petrol it’s depreciation. They are some of the worst cars for that. A 62k Range Rover sport keeps about 60 percent of its value after three years but a 62k rs4 holds only about 35 iirr. You can buy older ones of course but I worry about reliability on something that complex.

As you mentioned, m3 sized ones tend to have awful ride quality. Actually worse than a Porsche or a110 type sports car which to me defeats the point. It needs to be the intimate daily driver.

This is why ended up deciding on a big fast barge, preferably electric. I take my enjoyment from accelerating, luxury and gliding round corners gt style.

I do track days for more involving stuff when time allows.

Ps not sure many ladies appreciate the m5. It’s a very dude car. They tend to like suv’s statistically.
Suntzu wrote:You and Howard Hughes. He had a fleet of plain Jane Chevrolet Belairs. 8)

I'd love to have a fleet of "plain Jane" Chevy Bel Airs...

fuser wrote:Category : Poverty
Favourite car : None

:*(

Yes, but having no car is impossible for most poor North Americans, so they cut back on other things like food and family activities - things that aren't advertised on TV as much as cars are.

Perso, category: Poverty
Favorite Car: Bicycle (save enough money to not be poor anymore)

Or, you can sell one of each of your family member's kidneys and then do wheelies in an icy parking lot in a Lambourghini all your life (with only one kidney).

Lambourghini $199,000

Kidney $25,000
layman wrote:Ps not sure many ladies appreciate the m5. It’s a very dude car. They tend to like suv’s statistically.

The M5 is the only car I had that people(mostly ladies) asked to be photographed with and be taken for a ride. This never happened either with the Porsche Cayenne, or the Range Rover.

Yes these cars lose their value a lot which means you can get a really good bargain after 4-5 years which is when their value flatlines.
The M5 is awesome and ladies most certainly like it. I've never met a girl who preferred a SUV to a real performance saloon. :eh:

@noemon :up: :up:
Women are making the buying decisions on cars more and more which I suspect is what pushes the crossover suv explosion to an extent.

I don’t doubt anyone here’s experience but only car fans can spot an m5 over a 5 series and fewer of them are female on average.

Don’t get me wrong though. Any lady who does spot an m5 gets my appreciation.
It's the V8 sound factor that raises the eyebrows and distinguishes it from the 5-series while strolling along. Cold start shakes 2 or 3 houses along the street without exaggerating. I think you 're right in that lady motorists prefer to buy and drive SUV's(due to the convenience, raised driving position and presumed safety), but ladies in general prefer to be driven in performance cars(saloons, or supercars) rather than SUV's.

The M5 is the most refined car I have ever driven, being more comfortable and soft that a bog-standard mercedes car on comfort setting and extremely brutal once you push on the Sport+ buttons. It is the only brand that is truly Jekyll & Hyde. Mercedes AMG pretends to have both but its comfort setting is actually too firm to be called comfortable and Audi's setting is the same with sport mode being way too comfortable to be called sport.

I hear the new M5 is actually 200kg less than the old M5, which would make it extremely nice as it would no longer feel like a barge. Plus its 4 wheel drive, with the option to switch it off and send all in the r-w, quite unlike its competitors, making it probably the best car money can buy at this particular juncture in time.
God I want to test drive one now. Always looking for that perfect balance of performance and luxury....

It’s obviously way down the scale but the xf s does very good job of this btw. It’s a shame the v6 doesn’t sound the same as in the f type which is annoying because it’s the same engine You can pick them up for 20k now. The diesel is great but bored of fast diesels.
layman wrote:God I want to test drive one now. Always looking for that perfect balance of performance and luxury....

The only reason I am refusing to test drive the new M5 is because I do not want to spend all that money and because I know I will love it. In 2, 3 years its value will be less than half anyway.

It’s obviously way down the scale but the xf s does very good job of this btw. It’s a shame the v6 doesn’t sound the same as in the f type which is annoying because it’s the same engine You can pick them up for 20k now. The diesel is great but bored of fast diesels.

The XF s/r is a great car indeed and my mate kept on insisting that based on my requirements it would be the ideal car for me while I wait for the new M5 to drop in value. As my wife says..it just doesn't look rogue enough. :)

The diesels are nice for fuel consumption and for commuting, but in all honesty, I am not commuting and in the city I drive the Citroen C4. I want a car that can take us around Europe in comfort, that can take me around the track and be able to keep up with the rest of my mates as well as one that has a feel-good factor about it. And the M cars have learned to do all that. I really wanted to like the others because after 2 years in the BMW I was bored of the interior and wanted something different but despite all that money invested the other brands have not found their sweet spot like BMW. Last week I test drove the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and thought about you. It was extremely nice but it just did not do it for me like an M car.
I drove the vanilla gulia and had a 5 series for 48 hour test drive actually.

How was the ride in the quad? All those compac exec super saloons appear to be too firm for me based on reviews. I do fancy either that or an rs4 though...

Anyway, i think you should try an xf. It looks really nice in the right spec. You need black pack and the right alloys etc. 3 years of that and the new m5 would be ripe.
layman wrote:I drove the vanilla gulia and had a 5 series for 48 hour test drive.

How was the ride in the quad? All those compac exec super saloons appear to be too firm for me based on reviews. I do fancy either that or an rs4 though...

Anyway, i think you should try an xf. It looks really nice in the right spec. You need black pack and the right alloys etc.

The Alfa Romeo people have also found the sweet spot in comfort and aggressiveness. The car is surprisingly comfortable very close to the M5 comfort level. It can also become super-aggressive on demand as well. The issue is and this is an issue that also troubles mercedes and audi when compared to the BMW is that the Giulia has 3 settings, normal, dynamic, race. If you want to listen to the exhaust and have all the throttle available, it automatically switches off the anti-spin and firms up the suspension, which makes the car scary. While in the BMW you can individually set up any combination you like such as comfort suspension, sport plus throttle, anti spin on or semi-off(MDM), steering light and exhaust fully on. In the BMW you have more than 12 different combinations as every component can be adjusted individually, enabling you to set up the car exactly as you like depending on the mood and if you want to switch everything on except for the suspension you can. In the Giulia you only have 3 pre-selected modes which are not always relevant, so you end up driving the car in comfort all the time because the aggro mode requires anti-spin off and suspension ultra firm which does not allow you to enjoy the car the way you want and what about British b-roads? where you need a medium or soft suspension and full throtlle and exhaust? It's just not available. The same issue is what you get with the Audi and Mercedes all be it in a different way than the Giulia. The Mercedes and Audis also have the added problem that they are overweight cars compared to their competitors. The C63 AMG weighs 150kg more than the M3, the E63 AMG weights 150kg more than the M5, the RS4 and RS6 same compared to the M3 and M5. The C63 AMG with the S63 AMG suspension would be the ideal sweet spot car, lighter than an M5 but powerful, theatrical, beautiful and comfortable enough to be a daily driver as well as a track weapon, but no. :knife:
My god that is a terrible mistake to force (effectively) safety settings to be turned off in order to get the exhaust note. Sport plus modes never work in terms of suspension on British roads. Really silly mistake from alpha there.

I know the rs4 is not the hard core choice here but it is wonderfully safe and practical. I did hear is can be fairly comfortable if you pick the adaptive suspension. Something that should really be standard on all these cars but the Germans are awful for that.

I must resist another round of test drives as I am nearly 2 years off my deal end date....

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]