A must read book for Technocrats - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The solving of mankind’s problems and abolition of government via technological solutions alone.

Moderator: Kolzene

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Childhoods End by Sir Arthur C. Clarke, a must read for all technocrats. I just wanted to read (id like to just write "hear") you thoughts on the book, its one of my personal favorites. I'm speaking specifically of the technocratic society which is created latter on in the book. I apologize if a similar post has been made already. I did a search and didn't find anything matching it and felt I had to make it.
By Onion Poptarts
In the book these alien crafts appear over earths major city's. They remain there for several years just hovering. Then one day they announce the following decrees. There will be no more war, no more cruelty to animals, and a few other things which I don't fully remember. Because the aliens have disabled all nuclear weapons and declared that there is to be no more war. Society's begin to look inward and fix social issues, and more research is put forth into new peaceful technology. Eventually society reaches a point where everyone lives in these strange city's. Where if you desire a corn muffin you just press a button and the corn muffin machine makes you a a corn muffin. People still have jobs but they may only go to work for a few hours a week, to tighten bolts on say the corn muffin machine. People no longer elect presidents based on who they think will help handle the USSR best (remember the book was written a while ago) but elect presidents who are scientist who they think can further their society's. Countries them selves start to break down, latter on in the book as people are able to fly from the USA to Russia in a few hours in there rocket cars the need for a government disappears(theres more to it then that but that's one of the things that leads to it). Instead people form community's that specialize in a certain things. The whole world divides up into such society's until the climatic end of the book. Its a short read I want to say 200 pages? However I'm not sure and my memory of the book isn't the greatest as I read it about 6 years ago. I know theres allot more to the book the aliens play a much larger roll (they don't give us technology). The book like so many of Clarke's books focuses on the final evolution of man that i do know.

What's your point? It proves they're not being […]

Today's Palestinian organizations did not exist d[…]

World War II Day by Day

Hitler didn't have a blitzkrieg strategy. Why do […]

As Democritus said, “All that exists is the atom […]