Enough Variety in Fields? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The solving of mankind’s problems and abolition of government via technological solutions alone.

Moderator: Kolzene

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I have read up on technocracy and it is rather interesting. I was curious about motivation in a technocracy, and so I read an article which really cleared that up for me.

Now I have a new question I wish to ask. If people can work in any field they wish, what will happen to all of the unpopular fields of work which cannot be replaced by machines?
By Mr. Anderson
Surgeons. The main motivation to become a surgeon today is because of external pressures. There is money and prestige. The task itself can be very unpleasant. Would you want a job to cut people open in an attempt to heal them?

I understand there are some people who would want to be surgeons, but it does not strike me as a field which would be very pleasant for many and could easily have fewer people coming.

I could see how it could be automated, but I do not think many people could trust machines enough to cut them open.
By Mr. Anderson
I was recently also thinking about soldiers. What if a technocratic society was forced to go to war? You can automate the technology of war, but you will still need people to control it. How would that be handled?
By The Nathan
I've read about technocracy before, it operates like a centrist communist state with the technological provisions to assure it's continued existence.

Nice stuff, if a little utopian at tines.

I can certainly state that I would be 100% happy in such a system, and being a tech guy (I'm going to school to specialize in information security)... I would have no qualms about workng for free as long as my needs are met, and I get sufficient entertainment (video games and such).

I'd love to read more about technocracy though, it sounds extremely interesting, especially with the prospects of grafting communist thought to it here and there to make it a truely egalitarian system.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/5/6/text-of-t[…]

Or maybe it's an inanity because commercial media […]

I have been stopped trying to cross parade routes[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Rancid There are numerous ways this is being[…]