Waugh announces retirement - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Waugh announces retirement

Australia Test captain Steve Waugh has announced he will retire from international cricket at the end of the upcoming series with India.
In a news conference broadcast live throughout Australia, Waugh said he would quit after the fourth Test against India, which starts in Sydney on 2 January.

WAUGH'S TEST CAREER

Born: 2/6/1965
Debut: December 1985
Tests: 164
Runs: 10,660
Centuries: 32
Highest score: 200
Average: 51.25
Waugh's career in pictures
"The upcoming Sydney Test will be my last for Australia, should I be selected," the 38-year-old said.

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/3238652.stm

This was a bit of a shock. Does it mean that John Howard is likely to
announce his retirement as well ?
By Thin Spirits
I dont think Waughs retirement is that much of a shock... when did his brother retire?
And age doesn't matter as much with politics, as far as he's concerned Howards in his Prime :)
By GandalfTheGrey
There's no doubt in my mind Steve Waugh is still in his his prime as well. I just hope he's not succumbing to the constant interrogations he's had to endure in the last few years about when he's going to retire. The unfortunate thing about his announcement is that the rest of the games will be mere formalities and he will just be going through the motions. Players should announce their retirement the day they finished their last test as Mike Atherton did.
By unbalanced zealot
GandalfTheGrey wrote:There's no doubt in my mind Steve Waugh is still in his his prime as well. I just hope he's not succumbing to the constant interrogations he's had to endure in the last few years about when he's going to retire. The unfortunate thing about his announcement is that the rest of the games will be mere formalities and he will just be going through the motions. Players should announce their retirement the day they finished their last test as Mike Atherton did.

Good post. The reason I can think of most to announce it now is to
get Ricky Ponting in the right mind-set for India next year. But
then again - he could have conveyed this privately and as you said,
be like Atherton and announce on the last day. He probably is
succumbing to the media and public speculation, but I suppose
this is only taking place because of the depth in batting the aussies
have to replace him with. I liked Waugh alot because his best innings
were so often made (actually like Mark) in tight situations. In
some ways I'd regard his 200 against the Windies in the Windies
against Ambrose and co as a far more significant knock than
Haydens 380 in Perth.
Last edited by unbalanced zealot on 26 Nov 2003 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
By Proctor
*gets to work deleting*

Efrem, consider this a formal warning. Don't post shit like that again.

Cult of Wong Fei, I know you're only trying to help, but please don't bother to reply.

*/Moderator bitchiness*
By Vincered
Oh gods, :( why isn't this in the News forum? It is vital that everyone can know when to start mourning. :*(

LEST WE FORGET.

If people have that impression then they're just […]

^ this is the continuation of the pre-1948 confli[…]

A millennial who went to college in his 30s when […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting video on why Macron wants to deploy F[…]