Teh US vs Europe Flame thread (involves Football) - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By repr0bate
YOu know spider, maybe they wear pads because they are bigger and fast than some weakling rugby faggot.

That doesn't even make sense :knife:
By Prosthetic Conscience
Let's review the descriptions of the sports that various people are saying are worse than their own favourites:

suck ass
silly
girls' sport
olfs (?)
stupid
gayball
gay
nancy
scared to get hurt
ballet (could be meant as a compliment, but I suspect not)
bunch of horses' arses
pussies
inappropriate touching and fondling
ballerinas
weedy
watered-down
faggot

Can we conclude that some people here have a problem with their sex lives, and they're pouring their frustrations into watching men tumble around intimately? But note that it's always the other guy's sport that is homosexual. Your own sport is manly, character-building patriotic stuff, of course.

Haraldur, I think your Icelandic wrestling has a long way to go before it's as homoerotic as a lot of people find the different kinds of football.
By Comrade Ogilvy
Can we conclude that some people here have a problem with their sex lives, and they're pouring their frustrations into watching men tumble around intimately? But note that it's always the other guy's sport that is homosexual. Your own sport is manly, character-building patriotic stuff, of course.

Correct.

The description above mostly fit the Americans.
By wonder cow
A few points:

The "world series" got its name a long time ago. Long before any other nations were playing organized baseball.

The name today is more tradition than anything else.

I think the way most people in the US identify with professional teams differs from the rest of the world. The teams really don't represent the cities they play in (with a few exceptions).

American Football is played all the time without pads. Until I was about 22-23, we played every Sunday during the fall with no pads.

I'm not knocking Rugby, but between playing with pads and without, American Football is much safer without pads.

The shoulder pads in American football (and the helmet - although its illegal to do so) are weapons. I’ve been hit pretty hard in pick up games without pads and in organized games with pads. The hits are much harder in the organized games with pads.
By Clann
Gaelic Football>Soccer>Rugby>Yank sports
By Tex
Think of American football in this way:

It is not a game that can be played professionally by just anyone, however willing he might be... to work hard at improving his mental and physical skills. The greatest athelete in the world, of any sport, would not survive the NFL for six years (the approximate average career of an NFL player), even if he was a mental genius and perfectly conditioned physically, if he were five and a half feet tall and 170 pounds.

Think of the NFL as the "unlimited" class among sporting events, where no classes exist for different sizes or ages. The only thing that matters is whether the athlete can overcome the opponent that lines up opposite of him for 60 minutes...not 60 minutes on the clock, but 60 minutes that are selected from the clock in a way that makes each one critical to the outcome of the game (if the teams are evenly matched). The team that can keep the eleven athletes on the field that can defeat their individual opponents will usually win, unless that opponent has the intelligence to turn those strengths into weakness, at strategic moments. A team that consistently wins has equal components of brute strength and cleverness, and uses that cleverness to apply either brute strength or finesse at strategic moments...in other words...war.

All competitions have an element of "war," in which either team delights in dominating an opponent. No American really denies that other countries are more "civilized" in the way they pursue sport. Americans just don't feel the need to posture themselves as "intellectually superior," in the way they analyze the things they do for entertainment. We have a game we like, and anyone who can compete can play it for as long as they can survive it...very few can...of any nationality.

Watch the movie "Troy" to get an idea of the philosophy of American football...just my personal opinion.
By era o divertimento
The description above mostly fit the Americans.

See, that's a low blow. I blasted rugby because I thought it was the point of the thread. If you noticed, I don't even know the sport well enough to bust on it well. I'm willing to learn, however, just to be able to mock it correctly.

And Bradley, seriously, American football is pure teamwork. Like was pointed out, the ball itself is generally not where the play evolves. The ball moves due to everyone on the team working to make it move. Usually if one player screws up his assignment, everything dies. And the same goes for defense.

And, believe it or not, there is plenty of improvising going on during a game. While the quarterback's improvs are the most spectacular, lineman are improvising constantly, if subtly, on nearly every play.

So here's my point: Don't lump me in with Canes. People like that are lumpish enough on their own.
By uglygoat
Can we conclude that some people here have a problem with their sex lives, and they're pouring their frustrations into watching men tumble around intimately? But note that it's always the other guy's sport that is homosexual. Your own sport is manly, character-building patriotic stuff, of course

sounds like your projecting your own concerns about your sexuality on to us... this was a wind up thread from go, not a serious topic....
By Seán Himmelb(L)au
I put 'pussies' because I'm insecure about cats.
By Comrade Ogilvy
I suppose its only a matter of time before you fools say that your dont watch american movies or listen to american music either.
By Steven_K
The hits are much harder in the organized games with pads.

That's because people are willing to hit harder if they are wearing pads. They don't hold back at all.
By repr0bate
I don't listen to American music, for it is teh suck.

(apart from some early hardcore and a few modern 'metalcore' bands).
By Comrade Ogilvy
OF course you dont, and neither does any other non-american.
By repr0bate
No, I actually don't. There's very little (that I'm aware of) music that I like that comes out of America.
By Haraldur
Haraldur, I think your Icelandic wrestling has a long way to go before it's as homoerotic as a lot of people find the different kinds of football.

Hmmm... disappointing...

Well, I still hold it is more manly than all your nancy games. Nothing is more beautiful in this world than two grown men trying to throw eachother onto the floor while wearing leather...
By Seán Himmelb(L)au
I listen to The Bravery, The Killers, The Scissor Sisters, REM, Interpol, The Thrills and The Dandy Warhols. There is a few good American bands in indie music, but if you just look at the Grammy catergories there isn't going to be much I like.
By Comrade Ogilvy
I suppose its only a matter of time before you fools say that your dont watch american movies or listen to american music either.

I rarely listen to American music anymore because the US hurls out badly designed artists that are made only to sell. Britney Spears, Nelly etc etc. Its becoming a parody of itself. I also try to avoid Hollywood movies because
they usually suck. Dont get me wrong, there are some really really good Hollywood flicks out there, but thats only about 5% of all the movies made there. American pop culture appears to be fake and shallow.
By repr0bate
No, why would they wear pads if they were bigger and faster? Surely that's a reason not to wear pads? You know...because you're not a little nancy boy?

Zionism was never a religious movement basing i[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting video on why Macron wants to deploy F[…]

https://x.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1801949727069[…]

I submit this informed piece by the late John Pil[…]