NHL 2011-2012 season - Page 10 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Demosthenes wrote:As time goes on you continually throw it up in our faces with Guido this, colored that, and all your other racial bullshit. If you don't want to be called out on it, STFU about all of it. They're hockey players, that's it. You wanna insult cities, they are all fair game, but don't be an asshole about race in here. It takes the fun out of it. :hmm:

Please, I brought up Ward where in this thread? You continually bring this up, and everytime you do the story changes more and more, and while I'd love to quote the original post I can't, because someone deleted it. I wish I could remember who did, 'because they, evidently, were ignorant of the United Negro College Fund....

Not everyone shares your bizarre religious morality, Demosthenes, and it is quite unsettling you are so unable to accept this fact that you are trying to spoil an otherwise lighthearted conversation about hockey.
By Brio
hip hop bunny hop wrote: and while I'd love to quote the original post I can't, because someone deleted it.

Someone edited your post, not deleted it. If you want to see what was edited out look down at the quote I replied to.

BTW, as a person that has some Italian ancestry, this guido can probably skate better and sure as hell can play hockey better than you. ;)
hip hop bunny hop wrote:Please, I brought up Ward where in this thread?

All you've done is brought up the players' races in this thread.

hip hop bunny hop wrote: You continually bring this up,

You mean continually, like... what? Twice? Poor you, oh boo hoo, the wittle racist is so mistreated... :roll: You wanna talk the talk, then take the crap in return. I told you that once already. Get tired of it being thrown in your face STFU about it already! Pretty simple.

hip hop bunny hop wrote:the story changes more and more,

:roll: Would you like a towel bunny?

hip hop bunny hop wrote:because someone deleted it.

Talk about stories changing every time... I believe Brio addressed this.

hip hop bunny hop wrote:Not everyone shares your bizarre religious morality,

I'm not religious, looking at people outside your completely archaic ideas of race isn't "morality" and fortunately outside you and some hicks, not everyone wants to hear how guidos did this, negros did that, and chinks did the other Bunny. You don't like being called on it, and most of us don't like to hear you talkin it. Or maybe you haven't noticed that you are THE ONLY ONE in all the sports section that acts like that? :roll: ....And I've got the "bizarre" morality... :eh:

hip hop bunny hop wrote:Demosthenes, and it is quite unsettling you are so unable to accept this fact that you are trying to spoil an otherwise lighthearted conversation about hockey.

Actually you are the one ruining it for everyone else. Its just that they don't want to bother with your bullshit. Me? I don't mind being the asshole that confronts the other asshole, so they don't have too.

It's quite unsettling that even in sports you bring your bullshit in the fucking door. Leave it for on-topic if you have too, check it here or I promise to continue calling you on it until everyone who posts here is so bored with it all that they'll just post where you aren't.
By R_G
R_G wrote:Kings vs. Yotes Conference Final....it's coming.

BOOYAH!

Also, can we not discuss race in a hockey thread?

There's been at least one black player in the NHL for 60+ years. Not new.
R_G wrote:Also, can we not discuss race in a hockey thread?

There's been at least one black player in the NHL for 60+ years. Not new.

and alot more Italians too.

I don't have a problem with that if someone else doesn't.
Man you're ridiculous! I can't believe Nashville is choking like that, the Blues I can believe... typical Missouri team, but Nashville?

Anyway, let's just hope the Devils do the same! :D
I don't know for sure about that. I know the old saying, half the people on the Philly websites are freaking out too, and any other year I probably would be too, but he really only gave up one bad softie, that second goal he should have had, but it would have been a good save to have done so.

The issue seems to be whether or not the Flyer's four full lines can be stopped. When they start buzzing they are so relentless that I'm not sure anyone left has the defense to deal with them. I'm certainly not concerned with anyone left in the East even if Bryz ends up with a 3.00 GAA.

I was looking at stats for Stanley Cup champs, in terms of where they were offensively and defensively... and it seems conventional wisdom may not be exactly right. Only about 50% of the cup winners were actually top 5 defensively.

Don't get me wrong, in a sense everyone knows your goaltender must play well. But there is a difference in giving up a few when your team is averaging 5 goals a game, and when it's only managing two.

Now those two west west teams seem pretty hot, if it indeed does end up being an LA-Phoenix Western Final (and if we actually do win as well, of course), but I'm not even sure if either of them can handle the offense the Flyers have generated so far.

Naturally normal disclaimers about injury, about their level of play continuing, and about Bryz playing no worse than he has so far (which admittedly has been woefully mediocre here and there) apply.

Let's look at something else from a purely arbitrary perspective; For my purposes we'll define "buzzing" as the Flyers playing at a high tempo that the other team can't seem to match. When they are buzzing, they forecheck ferociously, play decent-good defense over all, but most importantly they swarm to the puck, obtain the offensive zone and shoot continuously.

Game 1:

Period 1: No buzzing, Pit: 3, Phi:0
Period 2: Buzzing, Phi: 1, Pit: 0
Period 3: Buzzing, Phi: 2, Pit: 0
OT: Buzzing, Phi win at 2:23 OT

Game 2

Period 1: No buzzing, Pit: 3, Phi: 1
Period 2: Buzzing, Pit: 1, Phi: 3
Period 3: Buzzing, Pit: 1, Phi: 4

Game 3:

Period 1: buzzing, Pit: 2, Phi: 4
Period 2: buzzing, Pit 2, Phi: 2
Period 3: buzzing, Pit: 0, Phi: 3

Game 4:

Period 1: buzzing, Pit: 4, Phi: 3
Period 2: no buzzing: Pit: 5, Phi: 0
Period 3: no buzzing (lifeless): Pit: 1, Phi:0

Game 5:

Period 1: buzzing: Pit: 1, Phi: 2
Period 2: no buzzing: Pit 2, Phi: 0
Period 3: buzzing, Pit: 0, Phi: 0 (this period was complete domination by the Flyers just like they did to Jersey in the 3rd period of game 1 of series 2, Fluery-- a tip of the hat to him, stole this one big time)

Game 6:

Period 1: buzzing, Pit: 0, Phi: 2
Period 2: buzzing, Pit: 1, Phi: 2
Period 3: buzzing, pit: 0, Phi:1

---Series over 4-2---

Vs. Debils:

Game 1:

Period 1: no buzzing: NJ: 1, Phi: 0
Period 2: buzzing: NJ: 1, Phi: 2
Period 3: buzzing: NJ: 1, Phi: 1
OT: Buzzing, Flyers win in 4:36 of OT.

So by my count, and it is arbitrary, When they are not buzzing (by period), they are 0-6
When they are buzzing, they are 13-0-3.

Keep in mind, as all the hype has played up, Pittsburgh was supposed to be the favorite for the cup from the East. That wasn't just seem easy series, it was rough as hell, and other than that game 4 debacle we handled them. I'm sorry but none of the teams left in the east are as good as Pittsburgh. A couple of them have better defenses and goaltenders, to be sure, but not good enough to roll with four lines very well for an extended series.

Of course, I'm a homer, I won't lie, I just think people are misreading the momentum the Flyer's have when they focus on Bryz.

We could run into a steam roller at any time, but I think the other teams need to worry that these Flyers ARE the steam roller they need to avoid! :lol: ;)
By Brio
Demosthenes wrote:but he really only gave up one bad softie, that second goal he should have had

The third goal was as soft as butter. He didn't even move and the puck went right through the wickets.

Demosthenes wrote:Of course, I'm a homer, I won't lie, I just think people are misreading the momentum the Flyer's have when they focus on Bryz.

The Pittsburgh series was won because Fleury shit the bed worse than Bryzgalov and the Philly D didn't shit the bed as badly as the Pittsburgh D. Perhaps Philly can win a cup playing 1980s style run-and-gun hockey, but I have my doubts.
Brio wrote:The Pittsburgh series was won because Fleury shit the bed worse than Bryzgalov and the Philly D didn't shit the bed as badly as the Pittsburgh D. Perhaps Philly can win a cup playing 1980s style run-and-gun hockey, but I have my doubts.

Actually the Pittsburgh Defense was not effective in any way in games 2, 3, and 6. Nor big parts of game 5. It's really not altogether fair to just blame Fluery.

It's alright though, if it was any other team I would probably be as skeptical as you, the thing is, I've seen them play about 70 games this season (no, couldn't catch them all), I've watched how they fall apart and lose, and it's always been that they stop buzzing, or wear out or whatever. Bryz has played this way most of the season, and yet we still managed 103 points.

Also, it's not quite an '80s style. If you recall our coach won a cup with Carolina playing the same style in the '90s (Their "D" ranked 18th in the league that year, but were around 4th offensively). So, it's a bit of a hybrid, as I understand the '80s game being played anyway, I didn't actually see it, I've only read about it.

The thing is, when Philly had to play well defensively they did. When Bryz had to shut them down, he did. It may be sloppy, but its worked all year.

Bah, If they win you have to play me three tunes on your Accordion, if they lose I play you three tunes on my God forsaken banjo! There! :lol:
By Brio
Demosthenes wrote:Actually the Pittsburgh Defense was not effective in any way in games 2, 3, and 6. Nor big parts of game 5. It's really not altogether fair to just blame Fluery.

Hence why I didn't and also gave crap for how stinky the Pittsburgh D was. However, it seemed in my eyes that almost every time it looked like the Pens were making a surge, Fleury would let in a soft one to change the momentum. A five million dollar goaltender isn't supposed to do that in the playoffs.

Demosthenes wrote:If you recall our coach won a cup with Carolina playing the same style in the '90s

:eh:

Carolina won a cup in 2006, hardly the 90s.

Demosthenes wrote:The thing is, when Philly had to play well defensively they did. When Bryz had to shut them down, he did. It may be sloppy, but its worked all year.

I can't argue with the final result (winning a series), I just don't know how long it can last.
Brio wrote:However, it seemed in my eyes that almost every time it looked like the Pens were making a surge, Fleury would let in a soft one to change the momentum. A five million dollar goaltender isn't supposed to do that in the playoffs.

He did give up some softies, that's true enough. I would argue many of those were generated by our offense, rather than simply being a product of bad goaltending. I suppose its a chicken and egg argument only a home-team fan would bother with..*sigh*

What can I say? The Eagles were 8-8, and the Phillies are going to have their worst year in about five years. The Fly-boys are all I've got and if they continue to play like this, at worst, they have as good a chance as anyone.

Brio wrote:Carolina won a cup in 2006, hardly the 90s.

Sorry, meant '06. The stats I was looking at went back the 90s and I superimposed...blah, blah, blah...

Brio wrote:I can't argue with the final result (winning a series), I just don't know how long it can last.

Naturally, you are right, high octane isn't traditionally a cup winner in Hockey. I'm just saying, I don't think there is a defense out there good enough to stop high octane, IF it can indeed be maintained.
By Brio
Demosthenes wrote:What can I say? The Eagles were 8-8, and the Phillies are going to have their worst year in about five years.

The 76ers are in the playoffs, or does basketball even count in your eyes?

Demosthenes wrote:The Fly-boys are all I've got and if they continue to play like this, at worst, they have as good a chance as anyone.

Agreed. As much as I give shit for their D and Bryzgalov, that offense is very scary.
Brio wrote:The 76ers are in the playoffs, or does basketball even count in your eyes?

Not unless they make the finals. Its really difficult for me to watch much basketball. To the point that I would watch them if they were in the finals, but if they won I wouldn't take much pride in it, nor would I refer to them as "we". :(

Brio wrote:Agreed. As much as I give shit for their D and Bryzgalov, that offense is very scary.

Yeah well, like I said, I probably would too were I not a homer.
By Nets
Go Devils.
Ugh. Yeah. As if I don't know better to reserve talk until after the series.

I'm going tight lipped again. If you were correct, I'll own it. But not until the series is over.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The Pentagon is notoriously famous for not findin[…]

I am not the one who never shows his credentials […]

As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossi[…]

Here are some of the the latest reports of student[…]