Effectiveness of Aikido - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

I'm gonna throw a theory out there and you tell me if it makes sense:

Because Aikido is strictly defensive and an Aikido move cannot be initiated unless there's an incoming threat, it seems that the only way Aikido can work is if the Aikidoka works extensively on cutting response time from the moment that a jab (for example) is launched until the moment you respond by moving out of the way. I was wondering if Aikidokas train just specifically on that, just on moving out of the way from very quick attacks, regardless of joint locks and throws.

Because if you response time isn't short enough, a skilled Muay Thai fighter, for instance, will demolish you with knees and jabs before you get a single joint lock on him.

It's not that Aikido can't be effective. It's that it takes a shitload of reflex training before it is.

Any thoughts?
Well, Aikido has been the martial art of choice for the Tokyo metropolitan police department for a few decades now. They use it because it's an art that focuses on neutralizing the threat without hurting the assailant. Good way for them to avoid law suits for excessive force.

Since it's still their preferred art, I'm guessing it does work in real life situations, but would be more difficult to master than Krav Maga, for instance.
By Suska
It works in real life. Lol. It depends on what you mean by "work." Aikido is war training, not one on one fight training, you improve cardio and flexibility and train reflex actions, ability to fall, ability to utilize opponent error, but most of all it's a philosophy about energy that is a direct counter to the western thinking on the matter. In the west we thrill to dramatic spikes in energy use, the big hit, the Aikido format demands steady and efficient use of energy. Like I say, it's about war, in which it's not one opponent and one encounter, in fact Aikido trains people out of getting stuck in single combat. Also as has been often pointed out, Aikido is an outgrowth of weapons training. It also offers ways of dealing with opponents with pins as opposed to just trying to inflict damage.

We share DNA with primates. But also with dolphin[…]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]