Interesting how fast a small mistake can lead to collapse... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

I had no time for breakfast this morning and also forgot to put some drinking stuff in my bag when i went for classes. I´m very fit and i did not feel bad during the day. After that i went for my Kendo Training. Training went fine so far and i did not feel bad at all. That changed drastical from one second to the next. I only remember that i suddenly felt weird in my head. And felt dizzy. I started to stumble a few steps backwards and let my Shinai fall...Next thing i remember is that i woke up, people standing around me and someone slapping my cheek. Endresult was that:

Doctors made some tests and all is fine. It looks like i was dehydrated and because i had not eaten my sugar level in my blood also rushed down. It was a really bad experience. I had no idea how fast something like that can happen and that it happenes without warning. I always believed i would feel when something like that would happen. Lesson learned.
Yep, dehydration is a thing that can affect anyone who isn't careful. Not eating and not drinking(an hour or two) before rigorous exercise can cause problems.

I get angry easily when my blood sugar is low. It affects my mood. A good warning sign.

If you drink(alcohol), then dehydration is a real threat. I avoid hangovers by making sure I think a LOT of water all night, and make sure I never drink on an empty stomach.

I am glad you're OK, anyhow. We may spar, viciously, on the forums here, but I don't wish anyone actual ill health, or luck. May you have good merit.
Thank you very much.

Well what really surprised me was how fast that happned. I was never unconcious before. I believed you realize something is going wrong. But it just happened without warning. My friends were surprised to, because it started so suddenly. They said i did a normal strike forward. Then suddenly dropped the Shinai, walked a few steps backwards and then did fall.

I´m fine now. Only thing that hurts is my neck because it overstretched, because the shield on the helmet.

Scary thing if you imagine that happens to a pilot or while you drive car.
It is good that the issue was not more serious.

You mentioned Kendo. Remember that your Bogu may not seem all that heavy or hot, but your gear will raise your body temperature and make you work harder then is normal. Add to that, increased muscular tension and cardiovascular activity and you are working your body much harder than one might think.

Another thing to consider in regards to cardiovascular activity is your Aun, have you been instructed in how and when to breath while in your various stances/positions?
KFlint wrote:It is good that the issue was not more serious.

You mentioned Kendo. Remember that your Bogu may not seem all that heavy or hot, but your gear will raise your body temperature and make you work harder then is normal. Add to that, increased muscular tension and cardiovascular activity and you are working your body much harder than one might think.

Another thing to consider in regards to cardiovascular activity is your Aun, have you been instructed in how and when to breath while in your various stances/positions?

I do it since i´m 7 years old. So yes, i´m very good in that things and got teached alot of things (of course you never can learn enough) But you are right, i made a huge mistake in not drinking and eating at all. that was too much i guess
I have also practiced Kendo since I was very young. I also am an instructor of Kendo, Aikido, Shotokan and Aiki Jujitsu.

Over the last 20+ years of teaching I have found that simple things like breathing, stretching and the need for hydration are often overlooked by students. It also seems less and less common for instructors to educate aspects of conditioning, health and nutrition and especially breathing.

I did not mean to question your experience, nor your dedication.

Do you also practice other arts?
I had a similar thing (although not nearly as severe) happen to me recently... I was taking part in a research study that involved an hour's running on a treadmill. I wasn't allowed breakfast, which was bad enough, but I didn't realise I was dehydrated until about 45 minutes in, when time practically stopped and I was swaying violently from side to side, on the verge of collapse I managed to survive though (barely).

Remember, Akuma: whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger! (except polio)
KFlint wrote:I have also practiced Kendo since I was very young. I also am an instructor of Kendo, Aikido, Shotokan and Aiki Jujitsu.

Over the last 20+ years of teaching I have found that simple things like breathing, stretching and the need for hydration are often overlooked by students. It also seems less and less common for instructors to educate aspects of conditioning, health and nutrition and especially breathing.

I did not mean to question your experience, nor your dedication.

Do you also practice other arts?

I did not see it as questioning. I'm thankful for any advice. Yes i also do Kyūdō. You are right, i made a classic mistake. I'm very fit and believed too much in my strength. But thats stupid, i can't function in a normal way when i'm dehydrated and have to slow blood sugar levels. I'm lucky nothing worse happened. Falling uncontrolled is very dangerous.
You probably bounced the visor off your nose. I passed out from pain(shock) once and managed to bounce my nose off a scale in the bathroom. I was lucky I didn't need stitches, and didn't break it, but my face sure hurt!
I fainted in a bathroom once, on my way down I was still semi-conscious, and I was able to really feel hitting the side of my head against the sink, and then rapping the back of my head against the floor.

The only upside was that being semi-conscious allowed me to land in such a way that my upper back took the fall hardest, my head was elevated a bit, and so my head only rapped the floor because my head naturally tilted backwards from the impact.

And then I woke up later with a slight headache but no damage.
Rei Murasame wrote:I fainted in a bathroom once, on my way down I was still semi-conscious, and I was able to really feel hitting the side of my head against the sink, and then rapping the back of my head against the floor.

The only upside was that being semi-conscious allowed me to land in such a way that my upper back took the fall hardest, my head was elevated a bit, and so my head only rapped the floor because my head naturally tilted backwards from the impact.

And then I woke up later with a slight headache but no damage.

You were lucky! Glad you had no serious injuries
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Find Someone Who Loves You Like Israel Loves Att[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainl[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0pAf3aBt18 How […]