2014 Winter Olympics (Hockey) - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Brio wrote:I must say though that Team Canada beating Team USA never gets tiring no matter how much it happens.
QFT. Especially after all the big talk about how the Americans were going to kick Canada's ass.
Finland is a beast, 2-0 against the states second period. They prove that it was not a fluke that they beat Russia.

They are now playing similar defensive style like they did with the Russians when they were in the lead, frustrating the Americans.
At least the Russians scored a goal against Finland ... now they can't feel so bad about getting knocked out by Finns, dayemm!
Finns were missing several of their top players, yet it didn't matter ...
Once again, solid teamwork and choking defense proven to be more successful than putting a bunch of overpaid egoistic superstar hockey players on the same team.
Maybe for the next big international hockey event, Russian/American/Slovakian/Czech teams will clue in and follow the example.
You know, looking back at it, Bylsma's strategy for the Olympics was pretty similar to the way the Pens play: Big Offense, Defensive is secondary, and the edge in the shoot-outs with a couple gimmicky players. He chose mostly young, unproven D-men and potent young forwards. This worked great against the lesser competition but laying two goose eggs against the best teams is simply unacceptable. I can buy a giant deflation in losing 1-0 to the Canadians, but damn, that's where good coaching comes in and get those mutha fuckas ready play the Bronze game.

Anyway, It appears Bylsma's style worked just as well in the Olympics as it does for the Penguins in the NHL playoffs.

Its a well known axiom in most sports that defense wins championships, I should have paid more attention to that myself earlier on and been more suspicious of the high scoring output from the US team. When you meet a team that consistently clears creases and lets play flow from its defense, laying down the law like Canada's did, and then Finland's did, all that high octane nonsense suddenly evaporates.

We only won in 1980 because Herb Brooks understood the game. Since then we've had some decent organizational structure (particularly in 2010), but over all the lessons don't seem to stick.
Demosthenes wrote:You know, looking back at it, Bylsma's strategy for the Olympics was pretty similar to the way the Pens play: Big Offense, Defensive is secondary, and the edge in the shoot-outs with a couple gimmicky players. He chose mostly young, unproven D-men and potent young forwards. This worked great against the lesser competition but laying two goose eggs against the best teams is simply unacceptable. I can buy a giant deflation in losing 1-0 to the Canadians, but damn, that's where good coaching comes in and get those mutha fuckas ready play the Bronze game.

Anyway, It appears Bylsma's style worked just as well in the Olympics as it does for the Penguins in the NHL playoffs.

I don't really pay much attention to Bylsma (aside the one year he was on HBO's 24/7) as he coaches a team in the East, but I have heard a ton of Pens fans on an imaginitave forum bitch about him constantly. I usually put this up to the general "armchair coach will bitch about anything" complex but there might be something to what you are saying.

As much as it pains me to say this (less now that Detroit is in the East) having arguably best coach in the NHL lead team Canada has been a real strength in this Olympics. Especially when compared to how the Russian Olympic team was coached.
Russian team was not very well organized its true. Fins and Cunucks are much better team players. Russian defense was bad too.

Finland should have been playing for gold. The thing is Finish goaltender was out in semi finals do to illness. Looking at Swedish Canadian game right now. Fins should be here.
Red_Army wrote:The silver medal is kind of shit in hockey. Its weird to give a medal to a loser...

This is true of every Olympic sport....

All I can say is any haters can suck my salty balls at the moment. Don't worry, they are extra tasty.

CANADA! CANADA! CANADA!
Major congrats to Canada. Nice to see the men are as capable as the ladies, but I must say, the ladies' comeback in the third and the OT goal made for a far more exciting game.

To our American friends, I am surprised to not see your club somewhere on the podium.

And as far as I'm concerned, the Brits are welcome to share the glory. They haven't had much to cheer for since their glory days with Eddie the Eagle.
Winter Olympics 2014: Canada destroys Sweden 3-0 for men's hockey gold

Suck it, you Canada haters! I called it!
Good job to Canada, Sweden and Finland for their medals. I enjoyed most of the games I watched, besides our pathetic loss to Finland

The Russia US game was very fun to watch even though it wasn't for a medal.

Also congrats to Russia for winning the whole thing, even if 7 of their medalists were foreigners.
We also allowed Iraq to allow us to invade. We're just oozing nobility out our bungholes.

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O