2014 MLB Season? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Kapanda
I thought we had fans here!

I'm going for a homer pick for World Series Champs and choose the Nats.

If Harper keeps hitting a home-run per game, we're in good grounds.
By Quantum
Why does a MLB season last only six months? Is it due to competition with other franchise sport leagues or due to nature of the sport itself?
By Joe Liberty
Kapanda wrote:I thought we had fans here!

I'm going for a homer pick for World Series Champs and choose the Nats.

If Harper keeps hitting a home-run per game, we're in good grounds.

I'm a fan of baseball, pretty much to the exclusion of everything else called a "sport".

The Nats have a pretty good short-series rotation, but so do the Dodgers (although without Ryu it's much less formidable). I think it will be LA versus LA (Angels) in the WS, although the playoffs are pretty much a complete crapshoot.

So long as the Cardinals don't win again, I'm happy.

Quantum wrote:Why does a MLB season last only six months? Is it due to competition with other franchise sport leagues or due to nature of the sport itself?

Due to the sport itself I think. Baseball requires nice weather.
By Kapanda
Do the Dodgers have the consistent bats the Nats have (as of late)?

That's as far as I can debate baseball, I just realised.

In other news, Jeter's last plate appearance at home? Unreal.
By Demosthenes
For no reason at all the Cardinals will win again. People will likely just say "They got hot at the right time"
By Kapanda
Is it me or has this been a particularly awesome season?

Nats enter October with a Zimmerman no-no. And what a no-no, Souza lays out for the last out. Man!
By Kapanda
Joe Liberty wrote:The Nats have a pretty good short-series rotation, but so do the Dodgers (although without Ryu it's much less formidable). I think it will be LA versus LA (Angels) in the WS, although the playoffs are pretty much a complete crapshoot.

Got this from someone on federalbaseball.com

Nats final turn through the rotation:

Roark – 6.1 IP, 5 H, 0 BB, 2 R, 1 K
Gio – 7.0 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 0 R, 12 K
Fister – 9.0 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 0 R, 9 K
Strasburg – 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 0 R, 7 K
Zimmermann – 9.0 IP, 0 H, 1 BB, 0 R, 10 K

Total – 37.2 IP, 11 H, 4 BB, 2 R, 39 K

That’s a 0.48 ERA and a 0.40 WHIP
By Demosthenes
Why are you not a Cardinals fan anyway? Don't you root for the Rams in football?
By Kapanda
Rams was before I lived in the states for my Master's. I still am a Rams fan.

But I did my Master's in DC, lived less than 2 mins walking from the ball park. Hooked.
By Demosthenes
Alright, you're excused
By Kapanda
Demosthenes wrote:Alright, you're excused

So you were trying to take a jab at me with your Cardinals comment? Is that because your team is already booking holiday tickets?

Sorry, wrong person, that was Joe Liberty.
By Kapanda
Royals v Nats.

Yep. Making the trip. Bleacher beer baby!

Wait.. uber fail. That was the AL Wildcard game...
By Demosthenes
I was taking a light hearted jab yes. The Phillies suck ass beyond all reason though, so... meh...

Hockey season starts next week! Yah!
By Kapanda
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Harper vs Trout will be a legitimate debate in a few years' time. Right now, Trout is way ahead, but Harp is on his way.
By Demosthenes
I-70 series, take 2, coming up.
By Joe Liberty
Demosthenes wrote:I-70 series, take 2, coming up.

Sure looks that way now. My prediction was woefully wrong, but that's one of the crazy things about the baseball post-season, anything can happen.

I'm usually a National League fan, but since I don't like the Cardinals nor the Giants I think I'll be pulling for Kansas City from this point on. Love those underdog stories.
By Eauz
Joe Liberty wrote:I'm usually a National League fan
Horrible. If you've ever watched NL players move to the AL, you realise that the AL is a much better league. I've seen the Blue Jays fill up on NL players only to see them turn to garbage by May.
By Joe Liberty
I'm not sure what numbers you're using, but I did find something that shows that NL pitching is better.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2060 ... -expanding

Part of that is that pitchers are batting, but that's only 4 or 5 ABs per game. So AL batters should be better than NL batters because the pitching isn't quite as good. Which means NL batters moving to the AL should get better, not worse.

In fact using your example of the Blue Jays, Jose Bautista bears that out. He never hit more than 15 HR in the NL. He goes to the AL and suddenly he's a beast.

I think the Blue Jays have other issues with their recent signings. Like the made-of-glass Jose Reyes. Can't put up numbers if you don't play.
By Kapanda
Rendon with the NL 3B Silver Slugger! Was not expecting that.

As a noeb baseball fan, did not realise how good Desmond really was. 3rd consecutive silver bat. Good shit.

And there is clear and objective differences bet[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Increasingly, they're admitting defeat. https://tw[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipment[…]