Boxing - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By tomskunk
@Godstud

Yeah, I went up some steep bleachers at coliseum that hosts sport events and that WAS a good cardio work out. I enjoyed that workout. I mean, I wasn't working out when I did it per se, but I was constantly going up and down the bleachers and I could definitely feel the workout on my calves and legs and my cardio. I loved it. I am going to start doing that. Is it a good idea to use free weights when you just want to build muscle without bulking up? Or should you just stick to the machines if you are not interested in bulking up?
By Godstud
Weights are weights, whether you are using free weights or machines. I use both. Some exercises like the fly exercise for the chest, are safer with a machine. You aren't straining your tendons as much.

'Bulking up' and 'increasing muscle' are synonymous. Increase your protein intake, for sure, and cut back on carbs. This should help balance things out a bit. Your diet will determine how much you "bulk up". Muscles can't build if they don't have fuel.

If you are interested in burning fat, then the stair-climbing you are doing is very good. So is doing weights.
By tomskunk
@Godstud

Thanks Godstud. I need to do something to take care of my health. It's tough getting motivated sometimes to exercise, plus with a busy work schedule and life responsibilities and all, you have to do some time management and make some time for exercise. It's all about making exercise a priority in your life and taking action.

I am going to check with my local sports coliseum to see if people can come in and do exercises. If not, I am going to check into another location that is a big sports stadium where the local high schools play football games that would be good for me to do some exercising. I have to make sure I have permission first I am sure, so I want to do some calling around to find out who I need to talk to so that I can get some exercising in.
By Godstud
@tomskunk That's a good idea checking with schools or stadiums. Anything that can motivate you is a good thing. Later you'll self-motivate by the results.
By MistyTiger
I have wanted to get a punching bag at home for years.

As a teen, I remember following along with kickboxing videos. Kathy Smith had this great kickboxing video with Ken Cook. I really liked learning the kicks and the punches.

A colleague has a punching bag on his desk. He's never around since he works from home. But I just would feel weird being in his office to punch that bag. I know he would not mind though.

I do back kicks and front kicks as part of my pre-running workout. I can add in side kicks too.
By Crantag
Get to the gym @tomskunk, if you want. I've been mostly hiking and chopping wood. Noone would judge you at all. I want to recommend a book, Convict Conditioning. It's a book about bodyweight training, and it's a good book.
By Crantag
MistyTiger wrote:I have wanted to get a punching bag at home for years.

As a teen, I remember following along with kickboxing videos. Kathy Smith had this great kickboxing video with Ken Cook. I really liked learning the kicks and the punches.

A colleague has a punching bag on his desk. He's never around since he works from home. But I just would feel weird being in his office to punch that bag. I know he would not mind though.

I do back kicks and front kicks as part of my pre-running workout. I can add in side kicks too.

I used to keep a kettle bell under my desk when I was in academics. I'd go out and swing it, when I felt ansy. People looked at my like I was a weirdo. I didn't care.
By Heisenberg
I'd love to train for boxing, although I'm far too much of a wimp to actually fight. The problem is most boxing gyms near me are hideously expensive.

Godstud wrote:@tomskunk Never let that stop you. Most people respect anyone who has the guts to go in the gym and attempt to make themselves better. You might be surprised. I haven't met many people who sneer at out of shape people in the gym. I used to be one.

The whole "people will sneer at me" thing is probably the biggest and most unfair myth about gyms. Most of the gym rats are far too busy with their own workouts to pay any attention to others, and even if they do they're often happy to chat/give advice.

That said, this does kinda go out the window in January. The New Year's Resolutioners are a nightmare. :lol:
By Crantag
Heisenberg wrote:I'd love to train for boxing, although I'm far too much of a wimp to actually fight. The problem is most boxing gyms near me are hideously expensive.

The whole "people will sneer at me" thing is probably the biggest and most unfair myth about gyms. Most of the gym rats are far too busy with their own workouts to pay any attention to others, and even if they do they're often happy to chat/give advice.

That said, this does kinda go out the window in January. The New Year's Resolutioners are a nightmare. :lol:

You don't need to go to a boxing gym to train boxing (if it's too expensive). Get a heavybag and find a spot to hang it, and go at it.
By MistyTiger
Crantag wrote:I used to keep a kettle bell under my desk when I was in academics. I'd go out and swing it, when I felt ansy. People looked at my like I was a weirdo. I didn't care.

I have thought about getting a kettle bell too. It is good to train the arms and core.

As an undergrad, I would go to the gym around 6am and do some weightlifting. It was the quietest time at the gym and few guys would be around to gawk at me. Very few girls pumped iron. Most of them preferred treadmills, ellipticals, bikes or the leg lift machine. I did not care. I prefer pushups and planks these days because I am lifting my own weight, rather than light dumb bells. I never lifted those 100lb weights, but when I do pushups I am lifting over 100 pounds. :lol:
By Crantag
MistyTiger wrote:I have thought about getting a kettle bell too. It is good to train the arms and core.

As an undergrad, I would go to the gym around 6am and do some weightlifting. It was the quietest time at the gym and few guys would be around to gawk at me. Very few girls pumped iron. Most of them preferred treadmills, ellipticals, bikes or the leg lift machine. I did not care. I prefer pushups and planks these days because I am lifting my own weight, rather than light dumb bells. I never lifted those 100lb weights, but when I do pushups I am lifting over 100 pounds. :lol:

https://archive.org/details/ConvictCond ... 1/mode/2up

Apparently convict conditioning is on Archive.org.

I quite recommend this book, and I don't want to be a spoiler, so I will say no more.

I really like the system of progressive exercises. It uses 6 core exercises, pushups, pullups, ab work, squats, bridges, and handstand pushups. Every one of these is broken down in 10 steps, from the most basic to the most extreme. The book isn't a be all end all on these sorts of exercises, but it is a great primer. I once used this book to rehab my knee, after a skateboarding injury.
By Godstud
Planks are a waste of time @MistyTiger. Do a more dynamic exercise. Static ones are pretty singular and don't do much. I can do a plank for a good 10 minutes or more. Plank knee crosses are better.

@Crantag That's simple calisthenics. :D It's good, though!!
By MistyTiger
Crantag wrote:https://archive.org/details/ConvictConditioning-HowToBustFreeOfAllWeaknessUsingTheLostSecretsOfSupremeSurvival_201711/Convict%20Conditioning%201-%20How%20to%20Bust%20Free%20of%20All%20Weakness%20-%20Using%20the%20Lost%20Secrets%20of%20Supreme%20Survival%20Strength%20-%201st%20Edition%20%282012%29/page/n1/mode/2up

Apparently convict conditioning is on Archive.org.

I quite recommend this book, and I don't want to be a spoiler, so I will say no more.

I really like the system of progressive exercises. It uses 6 core exercises, pushups, pullups, ab work, squats, bridges, and handstand pushups. Every one of these is broken down in 10 steps, from the most basic to the most extreme. The book isn't a be all end all on these sorts of exercises, but it is a great primer. I once used this book to rehab my knee, after a skateboarding injury.

Thank you for the book recommendation! I will read it. I want a pullup bar but I will not put one up in the old house, in case my sister tries it and she hurts herself. She could be too heavy for it. I have always wanted a power tower. They had one in the university gym and I liked using it.

@Godstud I have resumed planks after a break and I felt myself shaking. I need to rebuild my endurance. I will see about other types of planks I can do.
By Crantag
It's probably written by multiple authors. Including a dood named Pavel. He's a good dude. Enough with the spoilers, though.
By Crantag
MistyTiger wrote:I don't deadlift. I have to be careful with my back. I do squats though.

This is a power tower:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Power-Tower- ... /399250790

Oooh, it even has a bench! The one at the old university gym did not have that feature.

Deadlift seems to scare people, but it's a good exercise. Look up one-leg deadlift bodyweight training (calisthenics). You can add weight, but it's good on its own.
By Heisenberg
My gym closed due to the pandemic so I've been getting back into running, basic calisthenics and jumping rope as my main exercise. I really miss deadlifting though.

Godstud wrote:That's simple calisthenics. :D It's good, though!!

Ha, Convict Conditioning is anything but simple, to be fair. It's written by Al Kavadlo, who is one of those lunatics who can do a human flag. The "prison" thing is a gimmick to sell books, but it's a pretty serious bodyweight training/gymnastics program.
By Godstud
By "simple" I meant to say it was easily explained as calisthenics. I never meant to imply that it wasn't many complex exercises. :D

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]