Chilli recipe - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By ness31
Jethro Bodine wrote:I would recommend a dish called Frijoles Charros. The pinto beans are whole rather than mashed up - it's kind of soupy, usually with bacon and/or ham, onion, tomatoes, garlic and peppers. Sometimes chorizo too. It can make a great side dish (not sure about having it with chili though) or even an entire meal when served with tortillas. Definitely worth checking out!

I have seen that recipe on google. Pinto beans with a bacon hock - can’t go wrong really, with added chorizo, omg how decadent! I’m afraid tortillas wouldn’t cut it for me though, I’d need to mop it all up it with crusty bread *licks fingers with delight*
By 4cal
Now take a 99c (or $1.29 if you’re in California) bag of Fritos and cut it along the extreme left or right edge….top to bottom; not across the top.scoop in as much cheese as you feel comfortable with (grated)and 1 cup of your chili that is warm—NOT HOT) Boom Frito Pie!!!

Two other recipes just to file away for later if you have the stuff and don’t know what to make.

2X4 Chili

2 pounds of 93/7 OR 80/20 ground beef

1 can Rotel (Mild or Hot)
1 can tomato sauce
1 Can Pinto Beans (or Chili beans)
1 can Dark Red Kidney Beans

3 table spoons of chili powder—segregated.

Flavor the ground beef to taste (I prefer 1 TBS of Pepper, Cumin, and Montreal Steak Seasoning)—you’ll have plenty of salt from the cans but if you want salt, add it in of course—; it’s your chili!!!

Cook and then drain

Open the 4 cans.
Add 2 cans then stir in one table spoon of chili powder. mix well
Add 2 more cans and stir in the 2nd tablespoon of powder. Mix well
Add in cooked ground beef and stir in the 3rd table spoon. Mix well.

Cook on low for 8 hours.

Also…. 7 Can Chili:

1 pound of ground beef (flavored to taste)
1 can of Rotel
1 can of petite diced tomoatoes
1 can of tomato sauce

2 cans of pintos
2 cans of kidneys

Copy sequence from above excel add all tomato products first then the powder
By ness31
I had to google Rotel :D I like the idea of canned diced tomato with a touch of Mexican.

I stuffed mushrooms and peppers with my last left over chilli. It makes for a better pepper filling then mushroom. Mushys just don’t have enough oomph to carry off chilli..
I'm currently slow-cooking chili using the recipe I posted on the previous page that I use, but I added in 3 squares of bittersweet (70% cacao) Ghiradelli chocolate, plus 3 teaspoons of Medaglia D'oro instant espresso (it's the only "instant" coffee/espresso I've had that has a good flavor), and some freshly-ground white and black pepper. I'm not sure I used enough chocolate or espresso because the chili looks the same as it always does, but I'll leave it to a taste test tomorrow. I started slow-cooking around 5:30 PM and I don't plan to take it off until about 1:30 or 2 in the morning (I'm typically a night owl).

I do hope it adds something, although I'm wondering if I might need to add more of both next time I experiment.
By ness31
Best to under do it with the choc Bulaba. I put an entire block in and realised it may have been a bit too much lol. Just a bit :hmm:
By ness31
I will say this though, chocolate is a nice thing to experiment with ;)

Totally cbf making dinner today...bleh..
I had a bowl after it was done. It was around 3 AM (I let it cool down first before putting it in a couple big containers) and I realized I forgot to eat dinner. Normally I try to avoid trying it before it's sat in the fridge for at least half a day or so, but it was really delicious. I'm not entirely sure how much of a difference it made for me to add the espresso and the chocolate, but I'm going to make it a standard thing from now on, and perhaps add more next time.

@ness31 I don't know how I forgot to mention this, but do not forget about cornbread. I believe (I'm too lazy to look at the last page) you wondered aloud what to pair up chili with. The perfect food accompaniment is a warm slice of cornbread with a little bit of butter spread on the top. I'm not sure how common it is to find ready-mix boxes of cornbread in British grocery stores (I'm guessing it's called maize), but this recipe is easy and uncomplicated (as long as you have cornmeal):

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17891/gold ... tric=false
Golden Sweet Cornbread
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
By ness31
I went to an American style stake house a while back and of all the stuff on my plate, the corn bread was the best item lol. I’m going to give it a go, thanks a Bulaba :)
By Jethro Bodine
I doubled the amount of cocoa powder in my recipe and it seems to have cut the acidity of the tomato base. Still a pretty conservative amount compared to how much chocolate you guys are using but it definitely made a difference.

Good call on the cornbread. Always a good choice!
By 4cal
ness31 wrote:I went to an American style stake house a while back and of all the stuff on my plate, the corn bread was the best item lol. I’m going to give it a go, thanks a Bulaba :)

That’s sad.

Just an aside….I save the pepper packets from Pizza Hut and Dominos and when I make my cornbread, I toss 2 or 3 of them into the mix with a swirl or two of honey.
Victoribus Spolia's Chili Recipe:

4 pounds of 80/20 or 85/15 Ground Beef.
1 whole head of Garlic. Minced.
2 whole yellow cooking onion. Coarse chopped.
1 quart of homemade spaghetti sauce (sweet and basil-heavy in my family)
2 tablespoons of chili powder
1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning.
1 tablespoon of cumin.
1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
1 whole pack of bacon worth of bacon grease.
2 slightly burned strips of bacon, finely chopped.
1 cup Valentina's mexican hot sauce.
2 Large cans of coarse diced tomatoes
1 large can of red kidney beans.
1 small can of black beans.
1 whole stick of butter.

Directions.

1. fry whole pack of bacon at bottom of pot, remove bacon (except two slices) once cooked and set aside (for whatever purpose you want).
2. Cook remaining two strip until about half-blackened or VERY crispy, and remove, chop-fine, and set aside, leave grease in pot.
3. Add one stick of butter into hot grease and melt the butter into the grease.
4. add garlic, onion, spices, brown sugar, and chopped bacon pcs into the grease/butter mix. Stir together well.
5. Add hot sauce, and stir together.
6. Add beef and cook in slurry until done.
7. Add rest of ingredients and stir until hot.
8. Serve.
By ness31
4cal wrote:That’s sad.

Just so we’re clear, it was a reflection on the establishment and not the cuisine. It was quite obvious that everything was pressure cooked to buggery (blah, I hate that) and/or it came from a packet.

@Victoribus Spolia I’m curious about the bacon fat and the bacon. What does it bring to the party? Smokiness?
ness31 wrote:@Victoribus Spolia I’m curious about the bacon fat and the bacon. What does it bring to the party? Smokiness?

It is probably the most important part of the recipe to be honest. It brings a richness that fat tends to bring to soups and stews. The bacon-flavor is too subtle to be called essential, but the fat does make it rich, if you let it sit in a crock pot though, the fat will rise to the top, so it should be stirred periodically if you take such to a pot-luck.
That's good advice about the fat I forgot to mention as well. If you guys use 80/20-ish meat, you've got to keep stirring it, especially when you're all done and putting it away, otherwise you get a little layer at the top when it cools down. The alternative is lean meat, which will absolutely not result in a really tasty chili.
By ness31
I have never had a layer of fat congeal on my chilli. I suspect this is because I’m constantly stirring and tasting it. Mainly tasting ... :lol: I’m totes using bacon and it’s juice next time round...
Bulaba Jones wrote:The alternative is lean meat, which will absolutely not result in a really tasty chili.

Agreed.

Gotta have the fat.
By ness31
I’m taking the chilli making up a notch -

Making this as we speak. Not being in North America I had to go out of my way to source Ancho, Pasilla and Guajillo chillis, and I felt pretty badass asking for a guajillo chilli. I’ve just made the paste with these bad boys and what surprises me the most is how much they taste like chocolate. I’ve never tasted anything that isn’t chocolate that tastes like chocolate. I’m so excited :D
By late
Chili got big in the 80s, I bought a book that was just chili recipes back then.

My take on this is you need dark flavors. A little bit of chocolate, or molasses, I've even tried prunes. I usually add a tsp of cocoa, and a squirt of molasses.

I usually do both meat and beans, but that's a health thing, I have to limit saturated fats.

When I am feeling ambitious, I used dried Mexican peppers, like pasilla. Especially chipotles in adobo, but start by adding just one They can add a lot of flavor, but they can be seriously hot.
Last edited by late on 13 Aug 2022 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

Moving the goalposts won't change the facts on th[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Meanwhile, your opponents argue that everyone e[…]