2018 FIFA World Cup - Page 10 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By noemon
Croatia was dominating the game in the second half completely and should have scored more goals. England was lucky.
It's not over yet. lol

Gareth Southgate’s England squad may not be bringing it home, but their tournament isn’t over just yet. The Three Lions have one more game to play: The World Cup 2018 third place play-off.

It’s a match nobody wants to be a part of – but given that it’s the second to last fixture of the tournament – and England’s last.

Plus, the match will not only be England’s chance to grab a consolation prize, but an opportunity to get a win over Belgium (who lost to France in their semi-final) after they beat the home nation 1-0 in the group stages.
Red_Army wrote:Haha, silly limeys and their silly hope.

:lol: it's definitely the hope that kills you.

The last two years have done so much to make me like football again. Leicester winning the premier league, Wales' run at the euros and now the most likeable England team of my lifetime going deep into a world cup. I just hope it continues. :)
By Albert
Nonsense wrote:They 'collapsed' after the goal just 6 minutes into the game, you have to kick them when they are down, NOT let them get up & bury you.
When they scored the goal, was when they should have played hard for another one, the next 40 minutes was painful to watch, it's why I would never, ever put money on England to win.

IMHO, there is too much 'playing the man & not enough playing the ball'.

Another thing that gets my goat, is when they are slightly 'fouled', they whinge like a baby , fall down, looking for their 'dummy' (the Referee), to pick them up & cuddle them.

Every player should be made to view the video of the game, over & over again until each of them can produce a comprehensive, convincing brief to where they went wrong.

Then each of them should write a report how they will change, 'IF' they want to p-lay for the country again.

There are players, like WALKER, whom I would drop straight away.

You don't win games by panicking, ever, or by praying for 'luck'.
Indeed, England butchered some great opportunities in the first half. Instead it seemed to me they retreated into defense hoping to wind down the Croats. They were not playing like a winning team. They did play great defense though. Until that broke down in extra time.
By ness31
What a heinous outcome. Probs won’t even watch the GF now :|
ha ha short legged little angular saxons fall to superior slavic genes.

Everybody in eastern europe is now rooting for Hrvatsku. Fuck France, the fake team scum. It's not even a french team.
By Rancid
skinster wrote:THEY'RE COMING HOME :D

Not yet, they have to play against Belgium for 3rd place.
England looked a bit tired in the second half and extra time. They had a great tournament overall though. Nothing to be ashamed off.

Croatia played a better game, especially in the second half, and it's nice to see a small country get so far.

They also beat Argentina 3:0 so they have my support now. :D
By ness31
Beren wrote:It's still better to lose a semi-final than a final.

See, this is logic I can work with :D
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:They also beat Argentina 3:0 so they have my support now.

This needs to be stated over and over again: anyone who thrashes Argentina can't be all bad. :D

I must admit I'm getting a little annoyed with people criticising England for only beating second-tier teams though. Other than that (historically bad) Argentina side, Croatia hasn't exactly had any defining performances against the titans of international football either. I really don't see how a shootout win over Denmark is better than a solid 2-0 over Sweden, for example. And Germany, Spain etc couldn't beat those teams either. So what's the problem? :?:

To be clear, I don't intend this as a criticism of Croatia either. You can only beat the teams in front of you, after all. And they have been very professional throughout the tournament.
By Ter
I seldom place bets but when I do, I bet on the outcome I do not prefer.
If I lose, the outcome was good, I did not want England to win.
So yesterday my youngest son was saying Croatia might win, which led to a discussion, which led to a bet. He bet on Croatia, I gave him two to one odds. He bet 12 dollars...
And today he bet again on Croatia to win the championship on four to one odds lol. He bet 8 dollar.
I think the weasel is going to lose this time lol.
skinster wrote:THEY'RE COMING HOME :D

MINUS the bacon, :)
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Godstud did you ever have to go through any of […]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]

Let's set the philosophical questions to the side[…]

It's the Elite of the USA that is "jealous&q[…]