Black people in Sports - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

#14933838
Rancid wrote:Well, let's do this. I will bet you $100 that the next world cup team fielded by the Chinese will not have an African in it.

That's exactly my point too. They are ethnicists rather than nationalists, or rather they are the same to them. Which is the opposite of the American concept.
User avatar
By Rancid
#14933839
Beren wrote:That's exactly my point too. They are ethnicists rather than nationalists, or rather they are the same to them. Which is the opposite of the American concept.


ok ok ok ok fine. I get it.
User avatar
By noemon
#14933843
Beren wrote:That's exactly my point too. They are ethnicists rather than nationalists, or rather they are the same to them. Which is the opposite of the American concept.


In Greek, the term for a nationalist is Ethnikistis, so that's identical there too.
User avatar
By Beren
#14933845
noemon wrote:In Greek, the term for a nationalist is Ethnikistis, so that's identical there too.

In my opinion the most important prerequisite for Hungarian nationality is to speak Hungarian. If you speak Hungarian you'll be considered Hungarian, especially if you're white.
User avatar
By noemon
#14933851
In my opinion, you should speak the language but not as a requisite cause lots of diaspora Greeks don't actually speak it but they still are, mainly you should identify with that nation, for example lots of Albanians speak Greek but they do not consider themselves Greeks and nor are they considered Greek by the large majority of the population.
User avatar
By Beren
#14933853
You just can't identify with the Hungarian nation if you don't speak the language, and they can't identify with you as well because Hungarians rarely speak other languages than their own. You also can't be aware of the culture and history you should identify with if you don't speak Hungarian. That's why there is no formidable Hungarian diaspora anywhere, because they lose their identity without the language. However, what I meant to say is that Hungarians will treat you as a fellow Hungarian if you speak their language, and you don't even need to speak it so well.
#14933967
noemon wrote:However he is doing that in the most obtuse way possible and PoD you have not provided evidence that they did not conduct such breeding, your quote only suggests that that they were bred in quantities to make more free slaves for the slavemaster, the article does not deal at all with whether the slave masters were choosing the finest specimen for their breeding programs which one can safely assume that they were indeed.


:lol:

Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would try to make this their hill to die on. It just sounds argumentative.
#14934170
The whole "slaves were bred for athleticism" myth is a common racist myth that has no evidence.

If @Missus V. Spolia. wishes to provide evidence for this claim, I will look at it.

A quick glance at the available evidence, however, seems to show the myth is incorrect.
#14934179
Pants-of-dog wrote:The whole "slaves were bred for athleticism" myth is a common racist myth that has no evidence.

If @Missus V. Spolia. wishes to provide evidence for this claim, I will look at it.

A quick glance at the available evidence, however, seems to show the myth is incorrect.

"Bred for" is objectionable in my view.
But one might make a reasonable case for them being good at it.
Usain Bolt , Florence Griffith Joyner come to mind.

Cassius Clay, Mike Tyson also.
#14934200
Let me interject into this blatantly racist thread that I was disappointed to learn the my fellow conservatives have lower IQs than liberls:

From Psychology Today: For example, among the American sample, those who identify themselves as “very liberal” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 106.4, whereas those who identify themselves as “very conservative” in early adulthood have a mean childhood IQ of 94.8.


Though it grieves me to admit it the fact does tend to explain a lot of stuff.
#14934205
I will. After all. Democrats in the US are conservatives, by and large.

If you wish to consider classic conservative views, Hillary was far more conservative than Trump or the corporate shills in congress calling themselves republicans.

How about clueless comments like this:

Look, I am not worried about Washington cutting too much spending too fast. I mean, the kinds of spending cuts we're talking about just right now are $100 billion out of a $3.7 trillion budget.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/budget


And you think I am not a conservative?
User avatar
By Ter
#14934213
Beren wrote:You just can't identify with the Hungarian nation if you don't speak the language, and they can't identify with you as well because Hungarians rarely speak other languages than their own. You also can't be aware of the culture and history you should identify with if you don't speak Hungarian. That's why there is no formidable Hungarian diaspora anywhere, because they lose their identity without the language. However, what I meant to say is that Hungarians will treat you as a fellow Hungarian if you speak their language, and you don't even need to speak it so well.


Very true.
It brings to mind an interesting, be it off-topic story:
Around 1930 or whereabouts, a Hungarian professor in East Asian languages was hired to come and work in Santiniketan, the campus of Rabinandrath Tagore outside of Calcutta.
The professor took his wife with him and she kept a d8iary that became a book "Fire in Bengal" about the Indians (and Brits) she experienced in India. Upon their return the book was published in Hungary in Hungarian and it became a best seller.
But outside of Hungary, nobody ever heard of it because of the language. Until a Hungarian woman who escaped in 1956 went to England and married an Englishman. She brought the book with her and her husband arranged for a translation. It's a long story with the woman dying before publication and also the next woman who got involved also died. But it got finally translated and printed and it was quite the best seller in South India. Especially because the author narrated not only about the Indians but considered the Brits as alien also. And she wrote about the lesser qualities of Rabindranath Tagore.
I cherish my copy.
#14934231
Missus V. Spolia wrote:Everyone knows what I mean by the "token black guy" in movies, and the same applies to sports but in a different way, its a stereotype.

Is that like "the painted man" in Kevin Kostner's Robin Hood?

Image
I always thought that was a little odd. :?:

Missus V. Spolia wrote:I think that groups that represent the country should look like the country, thats just my belief based on common-sense.

What about families? This was a popular television show in the 1980s in the United States. :hippy: :rainbow:

Image
Do you find anything peculiar about a white man with a very strange tie having a white daughter, two black sons and no mother? :borg:

Missus V. Spolia wrote:Its odd when the french team is not french at all and I doubt i'm the only one who ever thought that or that thinking that automatically means I'm racist.

It is strange from the standpoint that France has a number of minorities, but can't seem to put a winning team together with them. I wonder if the French welfare system makes them noncompetitive at sport?

Missus V. Spolia wrote:I would say the same thing about the Nigerian team. I'm sure if every player on the Nigerian team were white, people would find that odd too and you would probably call it racist.

Maybe we should have an international chess competition and see how that works out.

anasawad wrote:France didn't have chattel slavery.

Slavery began fading out of western Europe around the middle ages before the peak or even large scale expansion of colonial empires.

I'm sure the Haitians will feel relieved to know that the Code Noir was just fake news. CNN probably just made the whole thing up.

SolarCross wrote:You have heard of the French Foreign Legion? Well this is the sporting equivalent.

A good point, but the "Foreign" part of "Foreign Legion" kind of distinguishes them.

anasawad wrote:Colonial empires did use slavery, though not significantly on their own soil, unlike the US.

The US was part of a colonial empire, in case you've never heard of the British Empire.

Oxymandias wrote:Slavery was uncommon in France proper but was often used in its colonies.

You tell 'em! Serfdom and indentured servitude are totally different things. There's no similarity at all.

Missus V. Spolia wrote:I don't see whats so controversial about this, its literally right before our eyes on the television. Its unavoidable.

It could be that they are trying to sell an ideology that ignores history.

SolarCross wrote:The US was a colony itself though, one that went its own way but a colony none the less.

Actually, it was 13 different colonies.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Please provide evidence that black slaves of French people were selectively bred to be better athletes.

They were "seasoned" to endure hardship, among other things. Black History: Inside the Seasoning Camps Naturally, those that didn't survive the seasoning didn't continue to breed, because you can't breed when you are dead. At least I think that's right. It's been awhile since I took biology.

SolarCross wrote:I don't know about active selective breeding as farmers have been doing for livestock since the dawn of history but the life of a slave was apparently a particularly punishing one, especially on the ships during the crossing of the Atlantic. That would have been a selection pressure for general hardiness in itself.

That is true, but today's ideologue will deny that this is "selective."

Missus V. Spolia wrote:No it doesn't, because the slave owners purchased the strong males and the curvy females (showing higher estrogen levels) at the market, so letting them freely breed once on the farm was no different than selective breeding, as the selection was made at market for preferred traits. Likewise, slave merchants, knowing this demand for healthy slaves would have then pursued better quality stock in Africa knowing market demand.

I think the denial stems from the fact that they weren't sitting around in a drawing room in London smoking their pipes and stroking their beards and saying to themselves, "Well, if we breed the strong young bucks with the fecund young negros women, we'll get more strong young bucks." That is to say, it didn't approximate the scientific rigor of 20th Century scientists. So therefore, it could not have possibly happened.

Pants-of-dog wrote:You claimed that Fench slaves were bred and this makes them better athletes.

And you created a strawman claim that suggested that the slaves of the French were selectively bred so that in the 21st Century they would be better athletes. Generally, slave holders were concerned with productivity and the longevity of slaves in hardship conditions. That is why white slavery was a non-starter, because whites just died under the same conditions.

Pants-of-dog wrote:It is also common sense to think that the Earth is flat, but no one with any intelligence actually thinks so.

Intelligence? Or education?

noemon wrote:And he is correct to assert that or to try and push you towards a direction in which you will have to acknowledge that, your assumption that this level of natural selection process would not have occurred in Africa is misplaced and if you want to talk common sense then clearly you are wrong because if you did watch football you would notice that the majority of Black players playing in Europe have actually been born in Africa.

In spite of the run-on sentence, that's actually a good argument. Maybe you can help Pants-of-dog up his game a bit.

Rancid wrote:China is too nationalistic for this to ever happen. I wouldn't put it past China to selectively breed ethnic Chinese for sports though.

Remember the Soviet Union days when the Russian women had facial hair from so much testosterone? The big square jaws, etc. :lol: Communism. WTF?

Red_Army wrote:It is also interesting how super racist SEC football fans can put aside their racism to rabbidly support their 90% non-white teams playing for colleges they've never set foot in :lol:

That's America for you. They are student athletes, dontcha know?

Victoribus Spolia wrote:But that was part of my wife's point too, it sometimes feels like blacks are being used for our entertainment. Indeed, professional sports is the only opportunity some inner-city kids have right now to actually make it big. Something seems off about all that, like society is putting them into a cliche role just for our entertainment. That does seem kinda racist....

That's the way those big city Democratic Party machines roll.

Victoribus Spolia wrote:This is besides the whole head-injury bullshit, which to me just means we have become so weak that we can't even have full-contact sports anymore (I mean, if you don't want to get your head banged around, don't become an NFL player, its that simple).

Right, and it's not like the objective of a boxing match isn't to knock somebody unconscious... These aren't the people who are likely to come up with the cure for cancer or anything...
#14934273
Drlee wrote:Let me interject into this blatantly racist thread that I was disappointed to learn the my fellow conservatives have lower IQs than liberls:


https://www.amazon.com/Intelligence-Par ... ce+paradox

blackjack21 wrote:Is that like "the painted man" in Kevin Kostner's Robin Hood?


I like that movie, except it has a stupid view of the Crusades and is anti-aristocracy. So yeah, basically hollywood lefty brain-washing.

blackjack21 wrote:This was a popular television show in the 1980s in the United States


Never saw it or heard of it, looks dumb.

blackjack21 wrote:Do you find anything peculiar about a white man with a very strange tie having a white daughter, two black sons and no mother?


Sounds like he got cucked. Hard.

blackjack21 wrote:I wonder if the French welfare system makes them noncompetitive at sport?


Maybe?

blackjack21 wrote:Maybe we should have an international chess competition and see how that works out.


:lol:

Image

blackjack21 wrote:I'm sure the Haitians will feel relieved to know that the Code Noir was just fake news. CNN probably just made the whole thing up.


Thank you! I knew I was right about that, but everyone just ignored it. Oh well.

blackjack21 wrote:It could be that they are trying to sell an ideology that ignores history.


More like one that just ignores the obvious.

blackjack21 wrote:That is to say, it didn't approximate the scientific rigor of 20th Century scientists. So therefore, it could not have possibly happened.


:lol:

Its like saying farmers didn't do farming prior to the department of agriculture. Lefties would likely think that though. :|
#14934283
So no evidence for the racist myth about slaves being bred, or for the associated claim that this made them better at athletic endeavours.

The myth is unsupported speculation.
#14934284
If you believe all humans had a common ancestor, then all you need to do is look at the world and know selective breeding is the norm. Is the ‘speed gene’ real? Are people with it more desirable mates?

Quite a good thread to read. Thank you so much Ann[…]

Katie Pavlich Ties ABC’s Epstein Cover-up To C[…]

Why the national debt of the USA grew

@SueDeNîmes , Well, I'm pretty sure that everyone[…]

“Iceworm”

Never said they were, but you know that. Yeah, […]