What Do You Collect? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Drlee wrote:I have a couple in individual cases but most are on stands on furniture. Some are hanging on the wall. We have a fairly large great room and there are probably 50 masks in it. Some are very collectable. Almost all of our masks are authentic and some are quite old. Many, if not most, have actually been used by the people who make them. One is over 120 years old (a rarity for African anythings) and was sold by the village to raise money for a well.

When my wife and I finally manage to reach room temperature they will go to the Smithsonian African Art Museum in DC. Perhaps sooner. One of their curators expressed considerable interest in several of them. One Chiwara mask from the Bamana people is the largest he has ever seen.

How amazing! You own pieces of history. Wow! I am sure that every mask has a story behind it. You could star in a documentary about African masks or write a book about it.
By Presvias
Lol, the whole point being 'no interesante'. Although 'niño riñendo' is applicable somewhat over there... ;)

I've little interest in travelling to 'España' anytime soon so it holds no interest. Spain is overrun by cheap boozed up Brit holidaymakers who have no business being there, idk what spaniards call them but puto/pendeja or mal(o?) blanco bastardos could be applicable.. I'm guessing I've got schtick coming for those 'prejudiced' comments. Whatever. One can criticise a race if thou art a honkin' jamrag oneself.

The same is true for Greece, except their culture is much more fascinating to me, Italy is better but is run by far right 'fascisti' types at the moment. Same for places in east asia.

In any case, this country is now a damp squib despite being very popular for migrants and others around the 00s when there was a boom of Polska; and many others emigrated here for a nicer life. Sadly, the languages of my family such as kiswahili, portuguese, konkan and perhaps scots gaelic and maybe a touch of patois has been lost to 'integration' and anglification if that's even a real word..
By BigSteve
Potemkin wrote:Image

While certainly not on par with your collector's piece, yesterday I won this knife, a Buck 119, in a raffle at a fund raiser held by one of our local motorcycle clubs. It's not terribly expensive (about $100), but it's very nice and, being a Buck, it's very well made...

By Potemkin
BigSteve wrote:While certainly not on par with your collector's piece, yesterday I won this knife, a Buck 119, in a raffle at a fund raiser held by one of our local motorcycle clubs. It's not terribly expensive (about $100), but it's very nice and, being a Buck, it's very well made...

That's a nice bowie, BigSteve. I'm more of a Case man myself, but Buck make some good knives. :up:

Truth be told, my "collector's piece" cost me a lot less than $100 too - I got it for just £68, including postage. Lol. In the UK, we can buy historic pieces for cheap. We actually have no shortage of 1000-year old oak; we have lots of mediaeval cathedrals in this country, and sometimes fires happen. I got it in a fire sale. Lol! :excited:

Anyhoo, I also recently bought a traditional Japanese friction folder, a Nagao Higonokami. Its blade was hand-forged from the legendary 'Blue Paper Steel', and the knife itself was hand-made by the only craftsman still alive in Japan who is permitted by law to make the genuine 'higonokami' knives and call them such:

Guess how much it cost me... :)
By BigSteve
Potemkin wrote:That's a nice bowie, BigSteve. I'm more of a Case man myself, but Buck make some good knives. :up:

Truth be told, my "collector's piece" cost me a lot less than $100 too - I got it for just £68, including postage. Lol. In the UK, we can buy historic pieces for cheap. We actually have no shortage of 1000-year old oak; we have lots of mediaeval cathedrals in this country, and sometimes fires happen. I got it in a fire sale. Lol! :excited:

Anyhoo, I also recently bought a traditional Japanese friction folder, a Nagao Higonokami. Its blade was hand-forged from the legendary 'Blue Paper Steel', and the knife itself was hand-made by the only craftsman still alive in Japan who is permitted by law to make the genuine 'higonokami' knives and call them such:

Guess how much it cost me... :)

Twenty bucks?
Political Interest wrote:@Potemkin

You Scots and your knives :lol:.

:excited:
By Potemkin
BigSteve wrote:Twenty bucks?

Lol. Close. It cost me £51, about $70. Not bad for a hand-made friction folder made by a legendary Japanese craftsman, eh? He's in his 70s now and has no apprentices or heirs, so I thought I'd better get a genuine higonokami knife while they can still be legally made. Lol.
By BigSteve
Potemkin wrote:Lol. Close. It cost me £51, about $70. Not bad for a hand-made friction folder made by a legendary Japanese craftsman, eh? He's in his 70s now and has no apprentices or heirs, so I thought I'd better get a genuine higonokami knife while they can still be legally made. Lol.

In the interest of full disclosure, I just googled it. There seem to be some of those knives down around the $20 price point I mentioned. Are these not authentic?
By Potemkin
BigSteve wrote:In the interest of full disclosure, I just googled it. There seem to be some of those knives down around the $20 price point I mentioned. Are these not authentic?

They are authentic. I even own one of them as well. But I wanted one with a fancy handle and the 'Blue Paper' steel. Those cost more. :D
By BigSteve
Potemkin wrote:They are authentic. I even own one of them as well. But I wanted one with a fancy handle and the 'Blue Paper' steel. Those cost more. :D

Ahhh, gotcha'.

What's the whole "Blue Paper" thing about?
BigSteve wrote:Ahhh, gotcha'.

What's the whole "Blue Paper" thing about?

Apparently, different grades of carbon steel used to be delivered to knife-makers wrapped in different coloured paper. There is therefore 'White Paper' steel and 'Blue Paper' steel. The higonokami made from 'White Paper' steel cost upwards of £100, or $130 or more. Too rich for my blood. Lol.
By BigSteve
Potemkin wrote:Apparently, different grades of carbon steel used to be delivered to knife-makers wrapped in different coloured paper. There is therefore 'White Paper' steel and 'Blue Paper' steel. The higonokami made from 'White Paper' steel cost upwards of £100, or $130 or more. Too rich for my blood. Lol.

Huh... Very cool...
BigSteve wrote:Huh... Very cool...

It's Japanese, BigSteve, of course it's cool.... ;)
By BigSteve
Potemkin wrote:Apparently, different grades of carbon steel used to be delivered to knife-makers wrapped in different coloured paper. There is therefore 'White Paper' steel and 'Blue Paper' steel. The higonokami made from 'White Paper' steel cost upwards of £100, or $130 or more. Too rich for my blood. Lol.

So, where would someone who lives in the States be able to get such a knife?

Also, I see you're in Edinburgh. My daughter and I were there in May and had an absolute blast...
BigSteve wrote:So, where would someone who lives in the States be able to get such a knife?

Walmart? Lol. Only kidding. ;)

Buying it online is probably the way to go. Here's a link I found with just a few mystical passes of my google-fu: Higonokami knives for sale in the US

By the way, the Magna Carta knife is still available from this online store in the UK, should you feel that way inclined: Magna Carta knife. I'm pretty sure they ship internationally.

Also, I see you're in Edinburgh. My daughter and I were there in May and had an absolute blast...

I think Edinburgh is the most beautiful city in the UK. But then again,. I'm obviously biased. :)
By BigSteve
Potemkin wrote:Walmart? Lol. Only kidding. ;)

Buying it online is probably the way to go. Here's a link I found with just a few mystical passes of my google-fu: Higonokami knives for sale in the US

By the way, the Magna Carta knife is still available from this online store in the UK, should you feel that way inclined: Magna Carta knife. I'm pretty sure they ship internationally.

I think Edinburgh is the most beautiful city in the UK. But then again,. I'm obviously biased. :)

Thanks!

My brother collects knives, so I can see buying a Magna Carta and at least one of the Higonokami knives for him. They're surprisingly affordable. And it looks like all of the engraved versions of the Magna Carta knife are sold out...
By Potemkin
BigSteve wrote:Thanks!

My brother collects knives, so I can see buying a Magna Carta and at least one of the Higonokami knives for him. They're surprisingly affordable. And it looks like all of the engraved versions of the Magna Carta knife are sold out...

Yeah, I noticed that too. To be honest, I don't think the engraving looked all that great. They might at least have tried to imitate the script of the Magna Carta instead of just using a boring modern font, but what do I know? Lol. I think I prefer the version without the engraving. I don't like writing on knife blades anyway, so I didn't mind one little bit.

And the oak handles on the Magna Carta knife are awesome. The more I handle that knife, the more I like it. The grain has an almost 3-dimensional depth to it as the light catches it. There's a lot to be said for thousand year old oak that was considered good enough by our ancestors for them to build a cathedral with it.... :)
By Tainari88
Presvias wrote:Lol, the whole point being 'no interesante'. Although 'niño riñendo' is applicable somewhat over there... ;)

I've little interest in travelling to 'España' anytime soon so it holds no interest. Spain is overrun by cheap boozed up Brit holidaymakers who have no business being there, idk what spaniards call them but puto/pendeja or mal(o?) blanco bastardos could be applicable.. I'm guessing I've got schtick coming for those 'prejudiced' comments. Whatever. One can criticise a race if thou art a honkin' jamrag oneself.

The same is true for Greece, except their culture is much more fascinating to me, Italy is better but is run by far right 'fascisti' types at the moment. Same for places in east asia.

In any case, this country is now a damp squib despite being very popular for migrants and others around the 00s when there was a boom of Polska; and many others emigrated here for a nicer life. Sadly, the languages of my family such as kiswahili, portuguese, konkan and perhaps scots gaelic and maybe a touch of patois has been lost to 'integration' and anglification if that's even a real word..

What is a 'damp squib''? I have no idea. Did they find a nicer life?

In my experience (and I have a lot of experience working with immigrants) the immigrants rarely find a nicer life. Just a life in which they get stuck with working for bad wages and hoping their kids make a better life and often the first generations do ok....but the second ones wind up not doing well if the income is not good and education is expensive.

One should have a very strong reason to immigrate. Like I had. Out of the USA. Permanently.

Many people have false ideas of what to expect in these supposedly 'looking for a nicer life' reasons.

Not anymore. If you don't have some massive education credentials or experience, and or speak English extremely well and have a very well laid out plan on how you are going to become a doctor, lawyer, engineer, dentist, etc profession? And you don't have wealthy parents sponsoring your career? Most likely you won't be having a much improved lifestyle.
By Drlee
@Potemkin

You have solved a problem for me. My nephew is getting married. He and his fiance are going to have a Scottish wedding at a Victorian Mansion. Their ancient wood sgian dubh is a perfect personal gift for him. Not a bad price at all either.

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Only Zionists believe that bollocks and you lot ar[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]