What Do You Collect? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

User avatar
By Potemkin
#15037016
BigSteve wrote:That's a beautiful piece.

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the fit and finish, for a Sheffield-made knife. Sheffield knives have always been, and still are, working knives for farmers and the like. They therefore tend to be sturdy and workman-like, rather than being finished to collector standard. This one is actually flawless. I guess the Little Mester pulled out all the stops for this particular knife, since they were using historic wood for the handle.

I'm also a big fan of Case knives, especially the peanut and the mini trapper patterns. Their CV blades take on an awesome patina! :up:

Here in Florida, switchblades are legal to own, but you can't carry one unless it's clearly visible. However, because I have my CWP, I can actually carry a switchblade concealed.

Never do, though...

Glad to hear it. Lol. ;)
User avatar
By Potemkin
#15037019
Sivad wrote::lol:

Reason #6834 why we need a revolution in Britain, Sivad. :)
By Presvias
#15037024
Potemkin wrote:It's illegal to carry a locking knife of any sort in the UK. Besides, I feel that locking knives tend to give people a false sense of security. Locks can always fail. With a slipjoint, you know that it might fold up on you if you abuse the knife. This leads to a certain... mindfulness while using it. I regard this as a good thing. Lol.


It sounds like you've been in a few scrapes...

That's an unfortunate reality for a lot of folks in this country. I've got a few different kinds of knives (all legal), kali sticks and the old hammer. The hammer is the thing I'm best with, luckily I've never 'really' had to use it..

(I deplore violence but sometimes, where I live, you get trouble from nasty types who need to be warned off. It's useful to have things around just in case it comes on top....)

When out & about you have to get creative in this country if you want to be 'armed'. I guess your best bet is probably to carry the usual bottles. I knew a woman in Holloway who whacked some guy who tried to assault her, with a half brick concealed in her handbag, very clever. :lol:
User avatar
By Drlee
#15037030
African Masks. African fabrics.

Other than those (and we have a shit ton of them) I collect things that make me smile. No particular thing. I believe we should surround ourselves with things that make us feel good.
#15037032
Presvias wrote:It sounds like you've been in a few scrapes...

Nah, not really. I just don't fancy the idea of having my fingers chopped off by a knife whose lock failed....



:excited:

That's an unfortunate reality for a lot of folks in this country. I've got a few different kinds of knives (all legal), kali sticks and the old hammer. The hammer is the thing I'm best with, luckily I've never 'really' had to use it..

(I deplore violence but sometimes, where I live, you get trouble from nasty types who need to be warned off. It's useful to have things around just in case it comes on top....)

When out & about you have to get creative in this country if you want to be 'armed'. I guess your best bet is probably to carry the usual bottles. I knew a woman in Holloway who whacked some guy who tried to assault her, with a half brick concealed in her handbag, very clever. :lol:

The best thing is probably a heavy walking stick, something like a South African knobkerrie. You can really fuck somebody up with one of those things, and they've got the reach to beat a knife. Plus, you have a legitimate reason to carry one - to help you walk. Lol. The 'Crips' don't carry heavy walking sticks everywhere they go because they can't walk very well, now do they...? ;)
By Sivad
#15037040
Potemkin wrote:Reason #6834 why we need a revolution in Britain, Sivad. :)


Getting punked by the state like that should be numero uno.
By Kon
#15037298
Hunting rifles. I like to buy them in suites of similar calibers or actions. I don't really own any "vanilla" calibers except for a sako 270 I use for mountain hunting.
By Presvias
#15037302
Potemkin wrote:Nah, not really. I just don't fancy the idea of having my fingers chopped off by a knife whose lock failed....



:excited:


The best thing is probably a heavy walking stick, something like a South African knobkerrie. You can really fuck somebody up with one of those things, and they've got the reach to beat a knife. Plus, you have a legitimate reason to carry one - to help you walk. Lol. The 'Crips' don't carry heavy walking sticks everywhere they go because they can't walk very well, now do they...? ;)


The celtic scabbard looks useful, as does the jeddburgh/jeddart axe. I'm not sure what reet crips carry in your neck of the woods but I'm sure you get a lot of reet weapons. ;)

It's good to surroynd oneself with weapons..

---
(PS: I'm part Scot too.)
#15037303
Drlee wrote:African Masks. African fabrics.

Other than those (and we have a shit ton of them) I collect things that make me smile. No particular thing. I believe we should surround ourselves with things that make us feel good.


Cool. Do you hang them in cases or on the wall?

My mom collects fabrics. She learned how to sew when she married my father and she will purchase new fabrics now and then. She has a tackle box and other crates with sewing accessories and threads. It is interesting to see and learn about different types of fabrics.
#15037380
Presvias wrote:The celtic scabbard looks useful, as does the jeddburgh/jeddart axe. I'm not sure what reet crips carry in your neck of the woods but I'm sure you get a lot of reet weapons. ;)

It's good to surroynd oneself with weapons..

---
(PS: I'm part Scot too.)

Absolutely dear boy, as you have so rightly perceived, I am indeed gangsta as fuck. I do not permit any recidivist homeboy to diss my credentials as a most indominable pugilist of enormous local renown. :excited:
By Presvias
#15037392
:lol: :lol:

Everyone around here is an 'indominable recidivist pugilist homeboy' (brilliant phrase by the way). I actually saw two old fellas fighting with their walking sticks this one time... it was like that slow motion fight from family guy.

The best thing ever though, was this guy shouting "you're running away bruv, your big man for nufink bruv" to some other. This town is a funny place. :D Maybe it was Solar..?
#15037399
Potemkin wrote:Absolutely dear boy, as you have so rightly perceived, I am indeed gangsta as fuck. I do not permit any recidivist homeboy to diss my credentials as a most indominable pugilist of enormous local renown. :excited:


I take issue with your self described 'gangsta as fuck' stuff. Lol. You are definitely NOT in any way, shape or form gangsta as fuck. Lol.

I have been around the gangstas and even taught them in a classroom and you are not one of them Potemkin.


Though you get gangsta in debates because you are good at debating. You should be learning some more Spanish....hee hee....Presvias likes Spanish it seems....shown up by a part Scottish Presvias....in the Spanish language fluency. The HORROR! :lol: :)

My little boy loves collecting Lego sets. Which are not inexpensive.

Lol.
By Presvias
#15037400
I'm fluent only in pish and pig-latin. :) Es no bueno, muy mal, muy mal (shakes head) (sp?)

I like liturgical greek best, and I can read a bit of cyrillic. So Koine Greek and Russian are the two languages I'm very slowly learning.

Español es no interesante por mi. ;)

I've got a nice collection of iconography in Georgian, Greek and Cyrillic.

Lego is just overpriced commercial cappie collectability.
User avatar
By BigSteve
#15037403
User avatar
By Drlee
#15037480
@MistyTiger Cool. Do you hang them in cases or on the wall?


I have a couple in individual cases but most are on stands on furniture. Some are hanging on the wall. We have a fairly large great room and there are probably 50 masks in it. Some are very collectable. Almost all of our masks are authentic and some are quite old. Many, if not most, have actually been used by the people who make them. One is over 120 years old (a rarity for African anythings) and was sold by the village to raise money for a well.

When my wife and I finally manage to reach room temperature they will go to the Smithsonian African Art Museum in DC. Perhaps sooner. One of their curators expressed considerable interest in several of them. One Chiwara mask from the Bamana people is the largest he has ever seen.
User avatar
By Tainari88
#15037533
Presvias wrote:I'm fluent only in pish and pig-latin. :) Es no bueno, muy mal, muy mal (shakes head) (sp?)

I like liturgical greek best, and I can read a bit of cyrillic. So Koine Greek and Russian are the two languages I'm very slowly learning.

Español es no interesante por mi. ;)

I've got a nice collection of iconography in Georgian, Greek and Cyrillic.

Lego is just overpriced commercial cappie collectability.


Aha, you have jogged Presvias the Spanish teacher in me. No es bueno is not correct. No ESTA bueno is correct. You need to get the basics down. Between estar/ser. Both are to be in Spanish. But estar is the temporary to be and ser is the permanent to be. Emotions are temporary things so you always have to use the temporary for them. Estar. Bueno means good or well. So---No esta bueno....means it is not good. You have to use estar malo o esta malo as well.

The other error is por/para. El espanol no es interesante para mi. Not por. Por is improperly used in that sentence. Por amor is correct. Para el amor is correct. Para amor? Incorrect. Both mean FOR. But you got to use the right one in the right context. All languages got their rules Senor Presvias.

Lol. Pig Latin. You little rascal!
User avatar
By Tainari88
#15037534
Drlee wrote:I have a couple in individual cases but most are on stands on furniture. Some are hanging on the wall. We have a fairly large great room and there are probably 50 masks in it. Some are very collectable. Almost all of our masks are authentic and some are quite old. Many, if not most, have actually been used by the people who make them. One is over 120 years old (a rarity for African anythings) and was sold by the village to raise money for a well.

When my wife and I finally manage to reach room temperature they will go to the Smithsonian African Art Museum in DC. Perhaps sooner. One of their curators expressed considerable interest in several of them. One Chiwara mask from the Bamana people is the largest he has ever seen.


Old African origin or style masks are a traditional handicraft sold regularly in Puerto Rico. Loiza Aldea is famous for those. They make them out of gourds made from huge calabashes or squash or coconuts or wood. They give them African god names like Obatala, Orisha, Yemeya, Ochun, etc.

I love African art in general. My oldest piece is 3000 BC it is Native American from Chaco Canyon Anazasi culture. They are gone. Extinct American Southwestern tribe from many thousands of years ago from New Mexico.
User avatar
By Drlee
#15037537
@Tainari88 I love African art in general. My oldest piece is 3000 BC it is Native American from Chaco Canyon Anazasi culture. They are gone. Extinct American Southwestern tribe from many thousands of years ago from New Mexico.


A real treasure. Anazasi. Not far from my home. I have visited many sites in my youth. The new research about them is interesting.
#15037548
I didn't think I collected anything, but yesterday I cleaned the kitchen, and realized I do. China some I bought, some is mom's, some belonged to my dad's mom. This is why I also collect antique carved sideboards. Oh, and apparently I also collect Cadbury biscuit tins and chocolate tins. Who knew?

Despite large financial investments, the United St[…]

Trump, Oh my god !

John Bel Edwards is a fascist if you are going by[…]

Fiction

I choose to have a Latino Catholic Socialist as m[…]