American sports - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By graffix_75
I'm quite curious on why sports comp series in the US are always labelled "World Series" when it's only played in the US?

Also, Im not sure whether it's a common thing but when I was living in LA, the radio station KROQ would be advertised as the "World famous KROQ" ? Im sure people in other states would'nt have heard of it let alone countries.

:D
By Clann
:eek:

I was wondering that aswell. World series baseball? Baseball is shit.
By Vivisekt
graffix_75 wrote:Also, Im not sure whether it's a common thing but when I was living in LA, the radio station KROQ would be advertised as the "World famous KROQ" ? Im sure people in other states would'nt have heard of it

Well, despite being "sure" you are completely wrong. KROQ is broadcast across the entire country. I can't speak for their international notoriety, though, but if it helps that was Howard Stern's old station and as such their claims are probably accurate.
By | I, CWAS |
Sport
2002 Estimates of Participants Worldwide
Number of Affiliated National Federations

Volleyball
998 Million

Basketball
400 Million

Table Tennis
300 Million

Soccer
242 Million

Badminton
200 Million

Tennis
60 Million

Baseball
60 Million

Dragon Boat Racing
50 Million

Team Handball
18 Million

Hockey
3 million

Judo
2.5 Million

Rugby
2 Million

Cycling
By graffix_75
KROQ is broadcast across the entire country.

Well why could'nt I tune in the station when I moved to San Francisco? Or on road trips? I've also asked people in the Bay area and Nevada and they've never heard of kroq, only those who are from and have lived in LA.

I left the US in 2000, so maybe it broadcasts across the country now but I've heard the "This is ... the World famous kroq " when I moved to the US in 1996.
By Vivisekt
graffix_75 wrote:Well why could'nt I tune in the station when I moved to San Francisco? Or on road trips?

The frequency is not universal nationwide. You would have to pick it up at a different wavelength, or as rebroadcast by another carrier in some areas. Regardless, it is available nationwide with few exceptions - and it has also been in the news quite a bit. It is well known here - a point that is pointless for you to attempt to counter.

graffix_75 wrote:I've also asked people in the Bay area and Nevada and they've never heard of kroq, only those who are from and have lived in LA.

So what? I live in Boston, which is on the other side of the country, and I've heard of them because I can get it here. KROQ also appeals to a certain demographic of people - if you inquire outside of that demographic, you are likely to draw blanks.

graffix_75 wrote:I left the US in 2000, so maybe it broadcasts across the country now but I've heard the "This is ... the World famous kroq " when I moved to the US in 1996.

See my comment on Howard Stern, in my last post.
By Comrade Ogilvy
The MLB consists of the best baseball players from around the world... so its fitting its called the 'world series'. NBA Basketball is the same, hence 'world championship'...
By repr0bate
Same for most British sports.

Only American teams can play, so it doesn't really earn the title of an international competition.
By Comrade Ogilvy
american teams stocked with the best international players in the world.... :roll:
By repr0bate
International Competition implies somewhat that the competition is...you know, international.

As I said most British football teams (for example) are packed with international players, however the teams are all British so they don't call it 'World Football'.
By Comrade Ogilvy
International Competition implies somewhat that the competition is...you know, international.

So you mean competetion between international athletes... like the world series...?? :roll: :roll: Try again.
By graffix_75
The MLB consists of the best baseball players from around the world... so its fitting its called the 'world series'. NBA Basketball is the same, hence 'world championship'...

I was under the impression that a World series means the participation of international teams such as the FIFA World Cup, Rugby World Cup, The UEFA Cup, etc[/quote]
By repr0bate
So you mean competetion between international athletes... like the world series...??

Surprisingly: no. Seeing as that's not what I said. For information: I was referring to the NBA in my previous posts.
By Boondock Saint
Ah yes ...

I love threads like this.

Why do Americans suck? Do they know they suck? I mean really, everything they do sucks! They suck at fighting wars, they suck at commerce, their movies suck their music sucks their beer sucks their people suck their women suck (and not even in a good way) and their sports suck.

America sucks, why are Americans so biased that they dont know they suck?

I mean really!?!??!
By Boondock Saint
:lol:

Yes. Thats right.

Very inferior. I am American, I thought we had established that?
By Comrade Ogilvy
The best baseball players in the world play in the Majors. Period.
Its the same reason why MLB doesnt invite college programs to play in the world series... :roll: :roll:

https://x.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1801949727069[…]

I submit this informed piece by the late John Pil[…]

Well, you should be aware that there are other arg[…]

^ this is the continuation of the pre-1948 conflic[…]