NFL playoffs: 2004 Season - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Any predictions?

AFC Champinship- New England vs Steelers. Steelers winning on Defense while the Bus drives to Jacksonville

NFC Championship- Eagles vs Packers, just becasue I like the Packers. Eagles win again by chewing up the Packers weak Secondary.

Superbowl - T.O doesn't make it, or is in a limited role. Bettis gets MVP and the Bill Cowher his well desreved, first super bowl ring in his 27-13 plucking of the Eagles
By Comrade Ogilvy
Easy. As much as I hate to say it, the Pats win it all easily. Just look to what Belichek did to Peyton Manning in last years AFC championship game to get a teaser for what he'll do to a rookie QB playing in a conference championship.
By Gnote
Wild Card Games:

Seattle over St. Louis
Green Bay over Minnesota
San Diego over New York
Indianapolis over Denver

Conference Semi-Finals:

I'm not sure how the matchups are determined for the second round, but assuming it is highest seat remaining vs lowest seat remaining:

Philadelphia over Seattle
Green Bay over Atlanta

Pittsburgh over San Diego
New England over Indianapolis

Conference Finals:

Green Bay over Philadelphia

Pittsburgh over New England

SuperBowl:

Pittsburgh over Green Bay
By Kylie
I'm not making a prediction so to speak, but I would like a cross-state battle between the Steelers and the Eagles (being that I'm from PA, and that would just be really cool IMO). Obviously, I would want the Steelers to win though :D!
By Demosthenes
Seattle over St. Louis

Eh...this one's 50/50 and St Louis beat Seattle handily both times it played them in the regualar season...

Green Bay over Minnesota
Agree, Minnesota's a pretender, and they always has been

San Diego over New York
This isn't as cut and dry as you might think. The J-E-T-S are better than most think, but the game is still San Diego's to lose.

Indianapolis over Denver
Agree. Denver will be slaughtered.

Conference Semi-Finals:

I'm not sure how the matchups are determined for the second round, but assuming it is highest seat remaining vs lowest seat remaining:
Just like in Hockey, with reseeding so best the plays the worst, and the two middle teams play each other.

Philadelphia over Seattle
...Or St. Louis, it doesn't matter neither team can beat Philly.

Green Bay over Atlanta
Atlanta is the only team to beat GB at home in the playoffs. They have won the last couple match-ups between the two teams. THough I have no faith in Atlanta for the long haul, this one's 50/50

Pittsburgh over San Diego
This one's 60/40. Pittsburgh went 15-1 and deserves a tremendous amount of respect, but they aren't invulverable like some want to believe. Plus San Diego is better than they get credit for. Still Pittsburgh should win this one.

New England over Indianapolis
Meh... as mush as I want to go with Indy, the Patriots ALWAY get it done, especially against Peyton Manning.

Conference Finals:

Green Bay over Philadelphia
You're drunk or smoking crack. Philly won't loose in this round this year. GB is simply not good enough to do it. They should have won the semis last year against Philly and found about ten ways to lose it. This year won't be different. Although, I wouldn't look past them either. 75/25 for Philly. (for Atlanta 80-20)

Pittsburgh over New England
Another 50/50. I wouldn't blow off New England for one second. If they were to win it all this year they'd cement their status as a new Dynasty. They won't go down easily. Both teams play well in bad weather (Pittsburgh in January? *shiivers*) Both teams run the ball well, and both have great Defenses. This will be the real Super Bowl match-up. I can't pick between them in any meaningful way.

SuperBowl:

Pittsburgh over Green Bay
I'm gonna go New England vs. Philly. The problem is Philly has an uphill climb even with TO in the line-up no matter which of the top 3 AFC teams they play. Although, their number 1 scoring Defense should help, it'll be uphill.

Pitt vs. Philly: 65/35 against.
New England vs Philly: 60/40 against.
Indy vs. Philly: 60/40 against.

I have to keep some optimism, If Philly chokes I've got no NHL to run to this year.

I also root for a Pittsburgh vs. Philly Super Bowl, though ideally I'd actually like to see Denver get hot for 3 games then choke. :lol:
By Gnote
Heh, yeah, I'm not SUPER confident in my picks, but they are the way I am leaning. I'm not confident in the GB over PHL either, I just want it to happen :) . I like Green Bay, and like I said before ABP (Anybody But Philly :) ).

I think I would actually like to see New England win it again, I just don't think they will beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh. The Eagles/Steelers matchup would be classic, but those types of matchups never seem to materialize.
By Attila The Nun
I would definitely like to see New England win, if not just for my location. Also, while I think it's very unlikely, Pittsburg losing soon would be rather nice.
By Goranhammer
Minnesota COULD run the table if Moss shows up to play. Of course, the chances of this happening are thin.

And Atlanta embarassed Favre and the Packers in Lambeau. What makes you think they'd win down in Turnerland?

Pitt vs. NE is the common consensus in the AFC. Personally, I think all bye teams come in the end.

NE beats Atlanta in the Super Bowl. Tom Brady hurts arm lifting Lombardi trophy too much and retires.
By Gnote
Well...my bracket is shot.
By Goranhammer
Broke even. Had a bet for all four games. Lost both yesterday, won both today. Seattle dropped the ball....literally.
By Jazmoz
I had the Patriots and the Bronco's, to play off for the AFC.
Last edited by Jazmoz on 10 Jan 2005 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
By Khenlein
Althought I am abit biased.

I feel the Pats will win the AFC championship (and therefore the Superbowl by default).

Though Indianpolis will be much more difficult, now that Harrison won't have to deal with Ty Law.

3 or bust :)

Isn't he just gorgeous when he accesorizes.
By Demosthenes
Looks like other than my utter miscalculation of Minnesota (brought about by Favre's purely horrible decesion making when tossing the pigskin) I wasn't so far off...

revised predictions:

Philly vs Minnesota;

Though they played above their heads last week, It's won't be enough this week, Everyone seems to have forgotten Philly's victory in week 5 over the Vikings where they won primarily by DEFENSE. Moss caught some late meaningless balls, and a touchdown, but these were after the game was already put awat. Two words: THE FREAK!

Philly 75/25

Atlanta vs. St Louis:

The Rams didn't so much win that game as slogged their way through it, and got breaks due to the Seachicken's suspect receiving corp. Still, Atlanta IS overrated...

Atlanta 65/35

Indy vs. New England.

Anyone that thinks that Indy isn't for real because they don't have a top ranked defense is insane. Still, the Pats are the Pats...and they are at home. Anyone who's watched this team for the last few years should know better than to pick against them no matter who they are playing...

New England 50.5/49.5

Pittsburgh vs. J-E-T-S

Ya gotta Luve Herm Edwards, probably the nicest tough coach out there. Then again ya gotta luv Bill "Jaws" Cowher as well...Jets have chance, albeit a small one...IF they can keep up defensively...eh, who am I kiddin...it's a Longshot.

Pittsburgh 80/20

Perhaps I'll win the title of PoFos Pigskin Prognosticator!!!
By Gnote
I like Demo's probability convention, so I will employ it while revising my horrible predictions.

PHL over MN - 65/35
Unfortunately, the Vikes are at the end of their road.

ATL over STL - 80/20
The Rams don't even deserve to be in this round. Too many dropped balls by Seattle.

NE over IND - 55/45
While I'd like to see the Colts come out on top in this one, I just don't think they have the defence.

PIT over NYJ - 65/35 <---Edited to change the percentages to reflect the fact that yes, Gnote can add.
I would have made the probability more in favour of Pittsburgh, but the Jets played too well against SD last week.

Relative to prior years, there are actually quite a few teams in here that I wouldn't mind as SB champs. I'm sticking to Anyone But Philly, but any of the AFC teams wouldn't kill me.
Last edited by Gnote on 11 Jan 2005 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
By Michele
ah now here is the one topic I have no opinion on....
By Flopflipper
Man, I am still slightly blinded by Randy moss Mooning, was that a tribute to warren moon? Farve has to realise that 7 years ago, he could win on raw talent. that isn't the case anymore when you have a scisophrenic Defensive coordinator.

PHL over MN - 85/15
Vikes are the great pretenders, pretending that they are a good team when thier Defense sucks and their RB is mediocre.

ATL over STL - 80/20
Falcons are too good to let a wild card team go any further. Enjoy the Vick experinace

NE over IND - 51/49
Indy has been able to win on offense alone, games are usually decided in thier favor in the first 2 or 3 drives. If NE can come out with long drives in the first 2-3 attempts the COlts will lose. still a toss up, but I favore Pats due to thier balance

PIT over NYJ - 75/25 - Jets, another pretender team. The hawks should have won it with thier kicker but didn't. Pits doesn't make those kind of mistakes. I expect Pennington to take a hard sack and never be the same, while the Bus' wheels keep going round and round
By briansmith
Stopping back in Gorkiy for this thread alone, aren't you all so proud?

Vikings over Eagles
Rams over Falcons

Colts over Patriots
Steelers over Jets
By Khenlein
Guess I'll have to do some picks.

NE over INDY,
Despite the Pats banged up defense. Caught up in the hoopla of Bellicheck's defensive genius, alot of people forget just how potent the N.E offense can be when it needs it. Add to that, this year we have dillon.

ATL over STL
The Rams eeked out a victory over a horrible, horrible Seattle team. The Falcons dynamic offense along with their capable defense make this an easy pick fo rme.

MIN over PHI
Terrel Owens isn't playing. Moss is. Does anything else really have to be said?

PITT over NYJ
The are simply inferior on both sides of the ball, and have been very inconsistent. As opposed to the PITT team that has been nothing but.

And for no particular reason other than visual enjoyment.
By strummerlives
Colts will beat the Patriots on account of the new rules and Ty Law's injury. Steelers always choke in the AFC Championship, (plus Rush Limbaugh cursed them by picking them to win it all. He is always proven wrong).
The NFC doesn't matter.
Colts beat Rams, 41-27 and win the Super Bowl.

^ this is the continuation of the pre-1948 confli[…]

Well if you arrest people for not approving of is[…]

A millennial who went to college in his 30s when […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting video on why Macron wants to deploy F[…]