Atheism is wonderful - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By late
blackjack21 wrote:
Understanding the world you live in, perhaps? Why should you have to like a philosophy that has utility, but doesn't cater to your whims and fancies?

You've never studied philosophy.

When you construct a philosophy you are building something that reflects how you look at the world. There is an underlying element of mental masturbation...

Philosophy and utility are largely non-intersecting sets.

Your reply contained a number of other errors, but you don't learn, so I just reply to the bits that interest me that someone else might learn something from..
late wrote:You've never studied philosophy.

I didn't major in philosophy. However, most of us with college degrees are required to study topics which were considered part of philosophy before the 19th Century, such as economics, sociology, linguistics, psychology, logic and ethics. I studied business and I work with computers, so I'm pretty well versed in logic and linguistics among other things.

late wrote:Philosophy and utility are largely non-intersecting sets.

That makes your mental masturbation quip relevant to understanding your world view.

late wrote:Your reply contained a number of other errors, but you don't learn, so I just reply to the bits that interest me that someone else might learn something from..

:roll: You've certainly helped underscore my point about atheists being arrogant and condescending among other things.
By late
blackjack21 wrote:
1) I didn't major in philosophy. However, most of us with college degrees are required to study topics which were considered part of philosophy before the 19th Century

2) That makes your mental masturbation quip relevant to understanding your world view.

3) You've certainly helped underscore my point about atheists being arrogant and condescending among other things.

1) I actually laughed at that, and appreciated the confession. Sorry, kid, most of us got past the 1700s, and a few actually made it into the 20th Century...

2) Like I said, you didn't take any philosophy classes. You really don't need to keep bringing up your ignorance.

3) Perhaps you shouldn't keep reminding us of that ignorance.
late wrote:1) I actually laughed at that, and appreciated the confession. Sorry, kid, most of us got past the 1700s, and a few actually made it into the 20th Century...

:roll: If you have a degree, you have pretty much had to take a class about philosophy. Yes, I did have to go through Descartes, etc. Yes, I've read John Rawls, and Richard Rorty. I'm just not as impressed as you are.

late wrote:2) Like I said, you didn't take any philosophy classes. You really don't need to keep bringing up your ignorance.

That's what you said, but I actually did take a class on philosophy.

late wrote:3) Perhaps you shouldn't keep reminding us of that ignorance.

Atheists are arrogant. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
By Odiseizam
@Cartertonian thats the path till spiritual waking up, agnostic is even worst thing than atheist coz risks to become selfcentered idol one step closer to neopaganism waiting just someone to pull him in the maze of modern spiritualism, so I'll take the time to elaborate that first step forward is agnostic interest for all that is Beyond Our Sight after what have choice to stay lazy for further growing drop down in neopaganism or stand up in Monotheism ... above all why or not one Person will continue further on some path depends first of all from his Free Will to learn and taste what means Spiritual Life, I can freely say when I crossed all the path from atheist through neopagan to reborn Orthodox Christian I was luckily that this was occurrence till I was still young around 25 years old so it wasnt hard to push for greater feat in reading fasting and praying and year by year to sense the difference with Inchurched and without Inchurched Life, what eventually if was case later it would be hard to be quickly achieved as know-how of normal Spiritual Growth, and I dont blame anyone nowadays why they cant reach further in their quest or sheltering or rejoice, for the Youth problem is all the brainwashing barriers as media [1] while for the Older is condition for greater focus, on top we can all easily fall in temptation when and if some priest start behaving wordily forgetting he is per'se and gas station clerk who is just refueling Grace as servant while its our own Free Will whether we will drive in for extra refuel, actually even without Inchurched Life Our Almighty Lord poors to all world His Grace so People will endure the hardships and Have Hope till they strive for Repentance and Virtuous Life till Salvation ... and what is Salvation, to become compatible Soul for Higher Realms, to be unburdened from the lust greed and pride which are nowadays norm in these times in this world, what is problem tho think is that many Christians became extra loosen hoping on universal salvation but that in my opinion is not our to comprehend and we need to focus on Virtuous Life otherwise risk to be fooled by our recklessness [2]

~

@Pants-of-dog thats because exactly to them are revealed many things while still with open spiritual eyes, Our Lord Praise is good point for this [3]

~

blackjack21 wrote:I don't think you can interest atheists in concepts like spiritual growth. Even many theists--like the scientists I mentioned above--are much more interested in natural philosophy than anything supernatural.

as I've point I was atheist once, and actually we all are from time to time even as Faithful when we will forget on ourselves while trapped knowingly or unknowingly and indulge in the vices of this world, maybe not literal atheist but careless forgetful one Believers for the question at stake i.e. Our Salvation ... what I know now is that nowadays as Christians we are tempted extra by the tv and internet anger prejudice and stigma so lured to judge, what think in my case is only problematic in respect to lgbt trend and how the same is forced even mids traditional comunities coz why not rarely I am labeling the same as kgbt [4] eventually how much fear and violence is poured through the media even from fun as fightclub sports if one dont unhook from these vibes its very difficult to focus upwards and got calm mind so would open his nous for Graceful Life [5][5] must admit now I am till some extent deepen in this kind of e-media brainstorming and its simply waste of time altho its looking as if You are informed and know what happening around, no just submitted to extra amount of agitprop from all sides, when its really refreshing when You will stumble upon info like the next quoted one, or that even astronauts were witnesses of Angels [6]

... Still I as a teacher of cosmonauts continued to take them to monasteries ... [1][1][1]
By Godstud
:roll: @blackjack21 Your puerile trolling is pathetic. You used to make intelligent posts. What happened? Now you are just a reactionary who contradicts anything I say, because you have no thoughts of your own.

It's the Theists who are both ignorant AND arrogant, by making the assumption that lack of belief is something it is not. Atheists don't go around calling people "sinners", like Theists, do. They also don't push their lack of religion, on others, which is something that religious people tend to do, and what you and a few others are doing in this very thread.

Why don't you visit some countries where they are Atheist and try your stupid bullshit, @blackjack21. Buddhism is atheistic, but I guess over 500 million people are arrogant simply because they don't believe in what you do? :knife:
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Russia doesn't have endless supply of weapons and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]

Starlink satellites are designed to deorbit and bu[…]