Must Everyone Have Free Will? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By XDU
A much better question than whether free will exists or not is, "Why must everyone be treated the same about free will?"

It's very well plausible that some people have free will, but others don't. Some people could have incredible stressed attention spans such that they can't think clearly, and others could be more stress free. Some people could be spontaneously relaxed to come up with unpredictable ideas, and other people could be less spontaneous.

Rather than ask whether or not free will exists, why must everyone have the same amount of stress and spontaneity in their attention spans such that they must be treated the same way?

I ask this since as a driver, one thing I've often noticed is my passengers rarely seem to have free will as they like to be lead on in conversation just like they're lead on the road, or maybe that's just part of the job of customer service. Literally, customers relinquish their free will on purpose because they want to be served. They want the service provider to exercise free will for them...

...so maybe there's a second level to the question as well. Perhaps free will is something we can turn on and off. Perhaps the mind has multiple levels to itself such that it isn't simply that people have free will or not, but that people... choose whether or not to choose. Perhaps rejection of free will is a decision of choosing not to choose and not wanting to have to choose to choose.

Of course, there's another matter at hand as to whether some should have to choose to choose while others should be permitted to not have to choose so others can choose for them. Rejecting free will could suggest that people shouldn't have to choose.
XDU wrote:
A much better question than whether free will exists or not is, "Why must everyone be treated the same about free will?"

Context is everything here.

Free will in philosophy is complicated, confusing, and almost completely irrelevant to real world concerns, in my distinctly unhumble opinion. Don't expect me to walk you through it.

People have choices, as you observe, some have more choices than others, and varying ability to utilise the information they have on hand.

Not choosing is itself a choice..

I have never seen this on TV, so I can't imagine […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

If there is no evidence, then the argument that th[…]

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-pro[…]

Wishing to see the existence of a massively nucle[…]