Facebook's Metaverse - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By ness31
I think it’s where everyone’s going to live in the future :hmm:
By Rancid
I do not believe it will end if failure. There is lots of money to be made, both legally and illegally.

To be clear, I'm against the metaverse. I believe it will be more destructive than social media is currently.

- Technology has advanced to a point where both VR and AR are crazy good and rock solid. Low lag, high res, immersive haptic feedback, etc. etc. The technology is mature enough to actually achieve the lofty goals of the metaverse. Especially when this tech is coupled with AI.

- Corporations are getting behind the concept. Many companies are putting together strategies on how to monetize the metaverse. They are figuring out how to setup services in the metaverse. Basically, they are figuring out how to use it for more than just entertainment. Things like work, or customer service, etc. Unprecedented amounts of investment are going into this already.

- The metaverse is a data mining gold mine. Lots of money to be made just from the data. From social media data mining, to corporate data mining, to data brokers, to data mining for nefarious purposes.

- Great spy tool for governments and corporations.

- A great tool for misinformation.

It will be successful for all the wrong reasons. It will be successful to the detriment of society.
Sandzak wrote:I think it will end in a failure like "Second Life."

Who wants to wear a VR-Headset except for gaming?

What is your opinion?

Second Life is not dead yet.

Plenty of people want to wear VR Headsets. In the future, it could be a tool used in the classroom. I wouldn't mind seeing the galaxy from a VR headset.

More can be done with VR. We'll have to see what happens next.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

[quote='ate"]Whatever you're using, I want a […]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]

When the guy is selling old, debunked, Russian pro[…]

There is, or at least used to be, a Royalist Part[…]