Death - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Local Localist
Local Localist wrote:Is it truly possible to say, definitively, how long one has been alive or dead? It seems that all that defines life is a lack of death, and all that defines death is a lack of life. Is it right to position it as a binary? The subject of life, in a sense, is death, when life is viewed as a delaying of death. But what if life is actually a process, or, indeed, a stage of death?

I tend to think, indeed, that life is only a phase of death. Of course, I suppose this is inherently antithetical to religion, or, at least, Abrahamic religion. I think it fits with the philosophy of the Tao quite nicely, however. Perhaps not with reincarnation or something like that, because that would imply some kind of entropic disintegration over time.

I think the traditional Western position is supposedly that suicide is universally 'cowardly', for the Abrahamics tend to deal in absolutes. One only needs the rudimentary understanding of British history that I have, however, to conclude that this would not have been the case before European Christendom. Boudica poisoned herself. The Romans themselves were infamous for killing themselves and one another. The Japanese were the most extreme example I know of in the other direction, when it comes to suicide, and I'm sure everyone knows what I mean. Fundamentally, life is simply less valued in the East, owing to the more collectivist mode of operation. But should life be so valued, if only a stage of death? We give ourselves purpose to occupy time, but it should not be something regretful when the time ends.

I understand the position that one who kills themselves, generally, is taking the easy way out. But a mentally stable person telling a suicidal person that suicide is cowardly is a bit like a bourgeois capitalist telling a poor person to get a job, isn't it? To be clear, I think, certainly, killing oneself to avoid being taken by the enemy should be honourable, and virtuous at that. If you fight the enemy, you fight them until you die. On the question of suicide in other circumstances, I think giving people purpose is frankly more important than specifically making the act of suicide illegal. People have a natural will to live. If your society is causing them to fight against that en masse, the problem is not them.
By Drlee
@Local Localist I tend to think, indeed, that life is only a phase of death. Of course, I suppose this is inherently antithetical to religion, or, at least, Abrahamic religion.

Just the opposite actually. It is at the essense of the Abrahamic religions.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

“Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.”

Suicide is cowardly in this regard alone. If you have no further use for your life, rather than waste it, you can give it to others. You can feed hungry people, care for the poor, or clean up the environment. A life is the opportunity to do good. This is a virtually universal tenant of every religious belief.
By Local Localist
Drlee wrote:Just the opposite actually. It is at the essense of the Abrahamic religions.

Yes, but it is taken as a given that 'death' could not be absolute.

Drlee wrote:Suicide is cowardly in this regard alone. If you have no further use for your life, rather than waste it, you can give it to others. You can feed hungry people, care for the poor, or clean up the environment. A life is the opportunity to do good. This is a virtually universal tenant of every religious belief.

Indeed. My distinction is that the virtuous Buddhist would kill themselves before submitting to their enemy, where, I believe, the virtuous Christian would not.
By jimjam
Drlee wrote:Isn't it nice to know that some people, religious like myself, do not have an issue with this. We have faith that we will be back. We have this faith and math on our side.

Please inform me about the math.

as an aside, my grandfather was a Catholic priest ….. from Hungary where they could wed prior to ordination.
By Sivad
jimjam wrote:Please inform me about the math.

So you like fully intend to live out the rest of your life with a crazy ass mentality and never come off it, never open your mind to reason, evidence, or even the possibility, and to die in completely irrational and egregious epistemic error? okay then, good luck with that... :lol:
By jimjam
Sivad wrote:So you like fully intend to live out the rest of your life with a crazy ass mentality and never come off it, never open your mind to reason, evidence, or even the possibility, and to die in completely irrational and egregious epistemic error? okay then, good luck with that... :lol:

Using new technology, school buses travel from stop-to-stop using the latest devices to increase safety, improve student experiences and add efficiencies. :eek:
By Potemkin
jimjam wrote:Using new technology, school buses travel from stop-to-stop using the latest devices to increase safety, improve student experiences and add efficiencies. :eek:

"O brave new world, that has such people in ’t!" :eek:
By Rancid
I'm lost, what the hell are you people talking about?
By Potemkin
Rancid wrote:I'm lost, what the hell are you people talking about?

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
Of cabbages—and kings—
And why the sea is boiling hot—
And whether pigs have wings."
By Drlee
British pigs do not have wings. That is why they eat so many of them. Best British breakfast I ever had? The Ship Leopard Hotel in Porthmouth, UK. I have limited experience however.....
By jimjam
Rancid wrote:I'm lost, what the hell are you people talking about?

Death =
Door nails
By jimjam

A picture I took of my 94 year old friend Bill saying good by prior to my departure from Portland, Maine earlier this month . He died 3 days after this pic was taken ……. He had tears in his eyes. I wonder if he knew this would be the last good by. I have had this experience before. Will we know when the end is (very) near?
By Stormsmith
I wonder that, too.

Last autumn, hubby went up island to see his mom. This involves a terribly long drive, so he only goes up 3 or 4 times a year. They spent 3 days together., eating out, watching news etc. Just as hubby was prepping to leave, she said a few mushy things to him, definitely not her wont.

Two weeks later, she was rushed into the hospital. Two days later, she died.
By jimjam
Another:

I had a good friend in Gloucester, Mass. who, at 86, was a retired fishing dragger captain. He came down with cancer and I made numerous trips to visit at the hospital. As I was leaving his room on my last visit he called me back. His eyes were uncommonly not meeting mine when he said simply, "Take it easy." Shortly after I was a pall bearer at his funeral.
By ingliz
My sons are busy making inventories of everything saleable.

and

The dog keeps waking me to check if I'm still alive.

Do they know something I don't?
By Potemkin
ingliz wrote:My sons are busy making inventories of everything saleable.

and

The dog keeps waking me to check if I'm still alive.

Do they know something I don't?

By jimjam
Death is what happens when I can no longer take in a Red Sox game.

or, perhaps

We are a part of the whole (the cosmic whole). We have self-consciousness. A part cannot be greater than the whole. There must then be a cosmic consciousness.
We are in a realm bound by space and time. But in dreams, our minds transcend those bounds.
To me, then, death is a release of my consciousness from the bonds of space and time. Beyond that limited realm, my consciousness will be in union with all the consciousness of the infinity.
Heaven? Hell?
I’ll find out.
By ness31
Aww there’s a bit of sadness in this thread. I’m sorry to those of you who’ve lost friends and family recently :(

You are already in one. He says his race is being[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]

It is not an erosion of democracy to point out hi[…]