Poetry and Propaganda - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Author Yiyun Li recounted how, at age 18, she wrote propaganda during her stint in the Chinese army. It was either that or clean toilets or the pigsty. “It was not difficult to write propaganda as long as you knew the key words and how to weave them together.”

After coming to America, she thought “It’s a good thing I don’t have to write propaganda anymore.” But a couple of years ago, she was driving children in a car when one asked a girl why she didn’t enter a poetry contest. The girl said, “Have you seen the winners lately? You really have to have the key words in your poetry to win those awards.” She gave a few key words. One was “injustice,” one was “police brutality.” She said, “You really have to have those words.” And then she asked, “I wonder why we cannot write about flowers anymore?”

— from remarks at a writers' conference at the UN, as reported in the August 2022 issue of Harper’s Magazine
By ness31
I recently accompanied a contestant to an art competition; that was a real eye opener. At the end of the night I made a rather vocal comment to him and anyone else who was within ear shot, I said “next time wear a dress, put on some make up and you’ll have half a chance of winning anything”.

Key words and all that..
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]