Trump's Dumb Economics - Page 69 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Rugoz wrote:Also, why would anyone admit to having a business degree? :lol:

Whoops. I forgot to be ashamed. I guess that's why I never fall for left wing propaganda.

Rugoz wrote:China hasn't been seen as a currency manipulator for years now.

Second largest economy in the world with a weak currency and export dependent? Something's fishy about the whole Chinese experiment.

jimjam wrote:And his recent remarks suggest, if anything, that he’s preparing to open a new front in the trade war, this time against the European Union, which he says “treats us horribly: barriers, tariffs, taxes.”

Trump has been stirring that pot for a long time. The EU is in a real pickle now. By the way, someone needs to tell @noemon that the banner needs updating as BoJo has succeeded Teresa May. A no deal Brexit may be crushing to remainers, but the real problem lies between Germany and France. When Britain leaves, Germany will need a trade agreement with Britain, but France does not want one. The EU is getting shorn apart.

BigSteve wrote:See, that's the distinction that idiot libs can't make, because it destroys there stupid argument that Trump voters are racists.

I think they know perfectly well that they are lying. They just think it's still working. As I noted in another post with the post-Mississippi raids, Congress and business know exactly what they are doing.

BigSteve wrote:So, instead, they just keep parroting the lie that Trump voters are racists...

This pique of frustration on their part is something that is backfiring big time, and will have long-term consequences for the establishment.

Rugoz wrote:As for illegals, why doesn't Trump ban them from the labor market? Until somebody can answer me that question, I don't believe Trump is genuinely interested in keeping them out, after all he employs them in large numbers.

Lots of Republican-owned businesses rely on illegal immigrant labor. That's why I say that Republicans are the enemy too. His Mississippi raid was probably well researched for its political impact. I'm sure he'll do more of those too.

BigSteve wrote:It should be a felony to hire an illegal alien, and they should receive nothing from our government whatsoever...

That's a bit harsh, but the law should be enforced with increasing penalties for persistent non-compliance. Right now, politicians are basically taking bribes. So is the media.
blackjack21 wrote:That's a bit harsh, but the law should be enforced with increasing penalties for persistent non-compliance.

In my opinion, the penalties for hiring illegal aliens should be downright draconian...
BigSteve wrote:But it will. Jim Acosta showed us that...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cnns-jim-acosta-mocked-for-accidently-proving-that-border-walls-work

Yes it will, it will do very little, for reasons that have been discussed here a 1000x over. What's that content-free article supposed to prove?

Trump doesn't want to reduce the supply of illegal labor in the US, that should be clear from that interview. It would be too tough on the poor companies that rely on it. I actually forgot the last sentence:

Trump wrote:The one problem is, E-Verify is so tough that in some cases, like farmers, they’re not equipped for E-Verify. I mean, I say this against Republicans — a lot of the Republicans say you go through an E-Verify. I used it when I built the hotel down the road on Pennsylvania Avenue. I use a very strong E-Verify system. And we would go through 28 people, 29, 30 people before we found one that qualified. So it’s a very tough thing to ask a farmer to go through that. So in a certain way, I speak against myself but you also have to have a world of some practicality.

"A world of some practicality", I like that. So will he introduce it gradually? Nope. Wake me when he does. Until then, cheers to the conned.
Rugoz wrote:Yes it will, it will do very little, for reasons that have been discussed here a 1000x over. What's that content-free article supposed to prove?

What is it trying to prove?

How about the fact that, where there's a barrier, people aren't trying to cross the border?

And you know why?

BECAUSE THERE'S A FUCKING BARRIER THERE...
By jimjam
The federal budget deficit is growing faster than expected as President Trump’s spending and tax cut policies force the United States to borrow increasing sums of money.

The deficit — the gap between what the government takes in through taxes and other sources of revenue and what it spends — will reach $960 billion for the 2019 fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30. That gap will widen to $1 trillion for the 2020 fiscal year, the Congressional Budget Office said in updated forecasts released on Wednesday. And it could increase if the trade war further chills business investment and consumer spending, resulting in slower economic growth and fewer tax dollars flowing to the Treasury Department. Mr. Trump’s indifference to deficits has shattered his campaign promise not only to balance the budget, but also to pay off the entire national debt.

Massive tax cuts for super-wealthy billionaires and chaotic trade wars are Trump's classic display of ignorance and incompetence about economic matters. Short term gains followed by long term financial disaster is the pattern of Trump's lifelong history of business failure.

To be fair, Republicans also promised to increase air pollution, drill for more oil, cut taxes for the rich, end protections for endangered species, stack the courts, do nothing about Climate Change and deregulate wall street. That part of the agenda has been very effective.
jimjam wrote:The federal budget deficit is growing faster than expected as President Trump’s spending and tax cut policies force the United States to borrow increasing sums of money.

The deficit — the gap between what the government takes in through taxes and other sources of revenue and what it spends — will reach $960 billion for the 2019 fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30. That gap will widen to $1 trillion for the 2020 fiscal year, the Congressional Budget Office said in updated forecasts released on Wednesday. And it could increase if the trade war further chills business investment and consumer spending, resulting in slower economic growth and fewer tax dollars flowing to the Treasury Department. Mr. Trump’s indifference to deficits has shattered his campaign promise not only to balance the budget, but also to pay off the entire national debt.

Massive tax cuts for super-wealthy billionaires and chaotic trade wars are Trump's classic display of ignorance and incompetence about economic matters. Short term gains followed by long term financial disaster is the pattern of Trump's lifelong history of business failure.

To be fair, Republicans also promised to increase air pollution, drill for more oil, cut taxes for the rich, end protections for endangered species, stack the courts, do nothing about Climate Change and deregulate wall street. That part of the agenda has been very effective.

Just more left-wing lies and propaganda.
BigSteve wrote:What is it trying to prove?

How about the fact that, where there's a barrier, people aren't trying to cross the border?

And you know why?

BECAUSE THERE'S A FUCKING BARRIER THERE...

It will to little because

a) 62% of the newly undocumented simply overstayed their visas and did not cross the border illegally (2016-2017). Source:
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/68605666 ... 6433752783

b) Humans have invented the ladder millenia ago:

Walls have their uses of course, but by themselves they solve nothing.
Rugoz wrote:a) 62% of the newly undocumented simply overstayed their visas and did not cross the border illegally

That tells me that 38% of them did cross the border illegally, and that's a significant number which needs to be addressed...
jimjam wrote:To be fair, Republicans also promised to increase air pollution, drill for more oil, cut taxes for the rich, end protections for endangered species, stack the courts, do nothing about Climate Change and deregulate wall street. That part of the agenda has been very effective.

We need oil. To get it, we need to drill for it.

While I do agree that economics shouldn't necessarily play a role in whether or not something is protected, I do believe that there needs to be a clear distinction between "threatened" and "endangered".

I also dismiss the notion, which a lot of liberals would have us believe, that altering the Act will result in the wholesale hunting of anything that's currently on those lists. It won't. Nothing, as far as I've heard, is going to be removed from either the "threatened" or "endangered" lists.

"Stack the courts"? This one always makes me laugh. You wouldn't expect a Democrat to nominate a conservative judge to the bench. Why, then, do you act surprised that a Republican doesn't nominate a liberal?

I'm not "rich", but I'm pretty well off, and my taxes have gone down, so your assertion that the tax cut benefits only "the rich" is nonsense.

Climate change? You do realize, don't you, that "climate change" is not an American issue, don't you? It needs to be addressed worldwide, and that can't happen with idiot things like the Paris Accord which, aside from being non-binding, doesn't require all signatories to reduce their emissions.

Wall Street? There was no shortage of Democrats who thought that was a good idea:

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00054
By jimjam
Producing cars that use more gasoline could make it harder for American companies to compete in the US and abroad. And the recent deal with California is more favorable to the environment and consumer's pocket books. Under an agreement reached with California last month, four companies pledged to reach an average fuel economy for new cars and trucks of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2026. Trump’s proposal would freeze the standards at 37 miles per gallon. Despite Trump’s claims that the rollback would save people money, Consumer Reports has found that American consumers would lose $460bn in fuel savings with Trump’s plan. And the American Lung Association – a health advocacy group – promoted its poll showing 74% of Americans support the existing standards, including 82% of Democrats and 67% of Republicans.

Transportation is responsible for 29% of US climate pollution, followed by electricity and industry, according to the most recent figures from the EPA. Increasing fuel economy, as well as expanding mass transit and electric bikes and vehicles, would help reduce that footprint.

While some of the automakers are opposing the rollback, it would be a win for oil companies and refiners of gasoline who treat Obese Donald as a wholly owned subsidiary of the fossil fuel industry.
jimjam wrote:Producing cars that use more gasoline could make it harder for American companies to compete in the US and abroad. And the recent deal with California is more favorable to the environment and consumer's pocket books. Under an agreement reached with California last month, four companies pledged to reach an average fuel economy for new cars and trucks of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2026. Trump’s proposal would freeze the standards at 37 miles per gallon. Despite Trump’s claims that the rollback would save people money, Consumer Reports has found that American consumers would lose $460bn in fuel savings with Trump’s plan. And the American Lung Association – a health advocacy group – promoted its poll showing 74% of Americans support the existing standards, including 82% of Democrats and 67% of Republicans.

Transportation is responsible for 29% of US climate pollution, followed by electricity and industry, according to the most recent figures from the EPA. Increasing fuel economy, as well as expanding mass transit and electric bikes and vehicles, would help reduce that footprint.

While some of the automakers are opposing the rollback, it would be a win for oil companies and refiners of gasoline who treat Obese Donald as a wholly owned subsidiary of the fossil fuel industry.

It is good if the auto companies volunteer to make their cars get higher gas mileage. However, putting too high restrictions on all automakers would increase costs and hurt the consumers who are not rich. In my opinion, 37 miles per gallon is pretty good.
By jimjam
I can't understand how we can simultaneously have the greatest economy ever, the greatest growth ever and yet Trump claims it is necessary to use extreme methods of stimulation, like a payroll tax cut, and of course the always counted on capital gains tax cut to save us from imminent despair. So which is it? Are we having the greatest economy ever or are we about to fall off a cliff?

The real issue here is Trump getting reelected. He understands that the only way he can possibly win in 2020 is if there is a booming economy. So he will be as reckless as possible to the point of calling out evil spirits who he claims are out to get him. The real foe he is afraid of is the Southern District of New York who can prosecute him as soon as he is out of office. For Trump, wrecking the economy is a price worth paying to keep the prosecutors away.
jimjam wrote:I can't understand how we can simultaneously have the greatest economy ever, the greatest growth ever and yet Trump claims it is necessary to use extreme methods of stimulation, like a payroll tax cut, and of course the always counted on capital gains tax cut to save us from imminent despair. So which is it? Are we having the greatest economy ever or are we about to fall off a cliff?

The real issue here is Trump getting reelected. He understands that the only way he can possibly win in 2020 is if there is a booming economy. So he will be as reckless as possible to the point of calling out evil spirits who he claims are out to get him. The real foe he is afraid of is the Southern District of New York who can prosecute him as soon as he is out of office. For Trump, wrecking the economy is a price worth paying to keep the prosecutors away.

But if the only way he thinks he can get re-elected is to have a booming economy, it would make no sense for him to wreck it.

Your logic is, well, illogical...
By jimjam
I see where Obese Donald has declared the Chairman of the Federal Reserve an "enemy" of America. Chairman Powell seems to have the same problem that former Atty General Sessions had ….. these guys did not realize that they are working for Donald's desire to get re elected and stay out of jail not ….. for the American people.

Powell demonstrated that he is an "enemy" simply by stating that the chaotic mess Donald has made and continues to make of the world/US economy will be near impossible to clean up with the Fed's current arsenal of diminished economic tools.

Donald sees dark clouds on the economic horizon and has started doing one of the things he does best: blame anybody and everybody for his screw ups.
jimjam wrote:I see where Obese Donald has declared the Chairman of the Federal Reserve an "enemy" of America. Chairman Powell seems to have the same problem that former Atty General Sessions had ….. these guys did not realize that they are working for Donald's desire to get re elected and stay out of jail not ….. for the American people.

Powell demonstrated that he is an "enemy" simply by stating that the chaotic mess Donald has made and continues to make of the world/US economy will be near impossible to clean up with the Fed's current arsenal of diminished economic tools.

Donald sees dark clouds on the economic horizon and has started doing one of the things he does best: blame anybody and everybody for his screw ups.

Do you think Trump will be re-elected?
jimjam wrote:I can't understand how we can simultaneously have the greatest economy ever, the greatest growth ever and yet Trump claims it is necessary to use extreme methods of stimulation, like a payroll tax cut, and of course the always counted on capital gains tax cut to save us from imminent despair.

You are behind the curve. That was apparently fake news since President Trump told reporters that he was not looking to a payroll tax when asked that question. He said the economy was doing to good at this time to consider anything like that.

China announced tariffs on $75 billion in U.S. products. Donald Trump hits back at Beijing and hiked tariffs on $550 billion of products after he told US firms to immediately start looking for an alternative to China and to pull out of China. Starting October 1, $250 billion in Chinese products now with tariffs at 25 per cent would be hit with a 30 per cent tariff. And $300 billion in goods being hit with a 10 per cent tariff staring Sept. 1 will now be hit with a 15 per cent tariff, Trump Tweeted.
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:You are behind the curve.

first time for everything …….. :lol:

BigSteve wrote:Do you think Trump will be re-elected?

I wouldn't venture a guess at this point: it's too far out, we don't even know who the dems will put up and the atmosphere in the country is highly volatile. He holds some strong cards: lottsa $, a superb Republican organization behind him and he is a PR/media genius. There are also some strong cards against him. We know all about his fabled "base" but there is also a strong "base" that detests him. And …. he is no longer an unknown entity. I know his base thinks he is Superman and perfect in every way but …. he has weaknesses and i'm sure whoever his opponent will be, he or she will be quite familiar with these weaknesses and attack accordingly. In 2016 he was able to use his M.O. to greater effectiveness because his opponents were not familiar with it and underrated him. About the only thing we have resembling a concrete indicator is the 2018 election results.

I find it ironic that the pro Donald crowd sounds quite similar to how the pre election Hillary crowd sounded in '16.
jimjam wrote:first time for everything …….. :lol:

It looks like China's leader is playing Chinese checkers while President Trump is playing 3D chess in the trade war.
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:It looks like China's leader is playing Chinese checkers while President Trump is playing 3D chess in the trade war.

we will see …… 600 or 700 billion in trade doesn't disappear without some ill effects. Plus ……. Donald seems eager to expand his war too much of the rest of the world. His NYC real estate developer M.O. of creating chaos may well result in the biggest depression ever. Prosperity is sooooo boring :lol: . Don't get me wrong Melvin, I applaud Donald's calling China out but his bull in the china closet methods are more like polka than chess. I think I have enough tangible assets to last me to the grave so WTF do I care. He certainly is entertaining.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]