Trump's Dumb Economics - Page 74 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Godstud wrote:@blackjack21 I'm sorry, is compassion something you are incapable of understanding?

If a person is distracted, it doesn't mean the person lacks compassion. A few weeks ago, a high school friend of mine asked me how my dad was doing, I simply said, "he's still dead." No harm. No foul. You seem implausibly furious about Trump's response. Yet, your own prime minister is routinely insincere in his expressions, and it seems to leave you rather flaccid.

Only his son seems to understand the horror of the obviously counterfeit expression of reverence from the rest of his family. Poor kid. It's a month away from Canada's elections. We shall see how Trudeau fares.
By Godstud
Look @blackjack21 If I want to discuss anything with you, I'll be sure to quote you, otherwise I find you to be a rather annoying troll.

You, and other Trump ass-kissers always have an excuse for him doing a really stupid or thoughtless thing.

PM Trudeau's not perfect, but he never comes across as uncaring, like Trump. I'll take a little insincerity over thoughtlessness, any day.
Godstud wrote:You, and other Trump ass-kissers always have an excuse for him doing a really stupid or thoughtless thing.

I'm more concerned with policy than the sideshows; although, I find the Edvard Munch "The Scream" reactions to Trump hilarious.

People too enamored of expressions of empathy often overlook it when a politician adopts policies that harm them.

Godstud wrote:PM Trudeau's not perfect, but he never comes across as uncaring, like Trump. I'll take a little insincerity over thoughtlessness, any day.

A lot of people consider Trudeau and his counterparts in other countries as being thoughtless--such as Merkel--who want to allow countless Muslims into a country where they will be culturally, religiously and linguistically incompatible with the native population. It is now clear to many people that characterize those who disagree with Trudeau and his ilk as "racist" is backfiring in a significant way all over the West.
By Godstud
blackjack21 wrote:A lot of people consider Trudeau and his counterparts in other countries as being thoughtless--such as Merkel--who want to allow countless Muslims into a country where they will be culturally, religiously and linguistically incompatible with the native population. It is now clear to many people that characterize those who disagree with Trudeau and his ilk as "racist" is backfiring in a significant way all over the West.

[rule 2 violation deleted - Prosthetic Conscience]

I can't speak for Merkel, as I don't actually follow German politics, but Trudeau has never talking about letting countless anyone into Canada. Canada has no immigrant problem, and no Muslim problem, either. The "culturally, religiously and linguistically incompatible with the native population" claim isn't based in reality. Canada is a country of immigrants and multiculturalism is part of that culture.

The other claim you make about the "racist" crap, is simply asinine, and you're fishing.

:O

Really, blackjack21... you're being anti-intellectual and reactionary today, in your defense of Trumpenstien.
Last edited by Godstud on 17 Sep 2019 15:46, edited 2 times in total.
Godstud wrote:Look @blackjack21 If I want to discuss anything with you, I'll be sure to quote you, otherwise I find you to be a rather annoying troll.

You, and other Trump ass-kissers always have an excuse for him doing a really stupid or thoughtless thing.

PM Trudeau's not perfect, but he never comes across as uncaring, like Trump. I'll take a little insincerity over thoughtlessness, any day.

I still have not gone to CANADA. But a bunch of Mexicans here all want to make money and work up north in CANADA. Especially during the fishing season. They pay well and many a little business that is successful here in Mexico relied on Canadian jobs and visas given to Mexican workers. Great love of Canada the Mexicans have here. I was interested. They also lie on all the pancake syrup made from corn syrup and claim it is Canadian Maple Syrup. It is not. Lol. I tell them, "Real maple syrup is expensive. Not that cheap crap of corn syrup." I bought a big jug for my friend here. She loves it.
jimjam wrote:So how's Trump doing on the economy?

1. Budget deficit for 2018-2027 up nearly 50% vs. the Obama policy baseline, a.k.a. the January 2017 CBO forecast. We can thank Trump for around $4.3 trillion more national debt by 2027 ($34,000 per family) vs. continuation of Obama policies.

2. Job creation in Obama's last 31 months was 6.8 million, vs. 5.3 million for Trump's first 31, including the big BLS downward revision for 2018-2019.

3. Stock market up cumulatively 46% at this point in Obama's Presidency (best of the past 6 Presidents), versus 29% for Trump (tied for 3rd with Clinton). Recall that 2018 was actually a down year, and we've had only a 5% increase since the January 2018 peak, despite all the drama.

4. Goodness gracious, look at those uninsured, just reported by the Census Bureau. At the end of 2018, we had 27.5 million uninsured, vs. 25.6 million in 2017, up 1.9 million or 7%. CBO estimates we'll have 7 million more uninsured (35 million vs. 28 million) under Trump's policies vs. the Obama baseline by 2021.

5. Real GDP growth was a respectable 2.6% for Trump's first 10 quarters (arithmetic average)...the very same as Obama's last 10 quarters. Surprised? BEA has been busy revising Trump's 2018 and 2019 GDP growth results down about 0.5% per quarter on average.

6. Inflation is higher, trade deficit is higher, and real wage growth is lower in Trump's first two years vs. Obama's last two.

I just love all this winning!

Not one Trump supporter has attempted to counter or disprove this.

It's fair to say that Trump is still riding Obama's everything bubble, and he'll keep riding it until it bursts.

The real Trump supporters (as in properly supportive of him, not just those who reluctantly voted for him) apparently seem to be engaged in vague trolling, or just two line dismissive replies.

I'd like to see someone really have a crack at countering those facts. It might make for an interesting debate..
By jimjam
Presvias wrote:Not one Trump supporter has attempted to counter or disprove this.

they are entertaining and very consistent if nothing else. Over and over I have posted something on the equivalent of "2+2=4 not 63" and, at that point they will generally retreat to their favorite one size fits all: "fake news" or a grammar school level insult of some sort. What disturbs me most is not so much that Donald is in way over his head and thrashing about but that so many human minds can be so pathetically manipulated not unlike Pavlov's dog. Scary.

Godstud wrote: Trudeau has never talking about letting countless anyone into Canada. Canada has no immigrant problem, and no Muslim problem, either. The "culturally, religiously and linguistically incompatible with the native population" claim isn't based in reality. Canada is a country of immigrants and multiculturalism is part of that culture.

We usually screen all incomers, and chose those with the best credentials. The exemptions are the super refuges. The Muslims blend in, but when I see them in a cluster (eg, ladies wearing a scarf) it's at a university or college. As you know, we've always done this, eg the boat people from Vietnam,in our lifetime
jimjam wrote: He is in way over his head and clearly unsuited for the job. In a word …. incompetant.

LOLOLOL!!!

You just can't make this shit up...
By jimjam
BigSteve wrote:LOLOLOL!!!

You just can't make this shit up...

I did :lol: .
Hindsite wrote:More of your fake news.

ummmmm …. did you happen to notice that I spelled "incompetent" wrong :?: ?

try to do a bit of thinking before pushing your "fake news" button. Obese Donald cannot do all of your thinking for you. Or ……. maybe he can :eek: .
jimjam wrote:ummmmm …. did you happen to notice that I spelled "incompetent" wrong :?: ?

try to do a bit of thinking before pushing your "fake news" button. Obese Donald cannot do all of your thinking for you. Or ……. maybe he can :eek: .

I see that you are still suffering from Trump derangement syndrome.
As President Trump intensifies his trade war with China, and as factories slow in major industrial nations, world commerce has deteriorated rapidly in recent months, a perilous development that threatens the global economy with a pronounced downturn. The latest sign arrived Tuesday morning, as the World Trade Organization slashed its forecast for trade growth for this year and next.

World trade in merchandise is now expected to expand by only 1.2 percent during 2019, in what would be the weakest year since 2009, when it plunged by nearly 13 percent. Only six months ago, the organization was forecasting more than double that pace of growth, a 2.6 percent expansion in merchandise trade.

The W.T.O. warned that intensifying trade conflicts pose a direct threat to jobs and livelihoods, while discouraging companies from expanding and innovating. “The warning signs here are clear enough,” said Ian Shepherson, chief economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics. “The trade war is wreaking havoc.” “If consumers’ confidence seriously falters, the U.S. could tip into the first recession ever caused directly by the actions of the president, rather than the action of tight monetary policy on an overstretched private sector,” Mr. Shepherdson said.

Smoot Hawley redux. :hmm:
jimjam wrote:As President Trump intensifies his trade war with China, and as factories slow in major industrial nations, world commerce has deteriorated rapidly in recent months, a perilous development that threatens the global economy with a pronounced downturn. The latest sign arrived Tuesday morning, as the World Trade Organization slashed its forecast for trade growth for this year and next.

World trade in merchandise is now expected to expand by only 1.2 percent during 2019, in what would be the weakest year since 2009, when it plunged by nearly 13 percent. Only six months ago, the organization was forecasting more than double that pace of growth, a 2.6 percent expansion in merchandise trade.

The W.T.O. warned that intensifying trade conflicts pose a direct threat to jobs and livelihoods, while discouraging companies from expanding and innovating. “The warning signs here are clear enough,” said Ian Shepherson, chief economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics. “The trade war is wreaking havoc.” “If consumers’ confidence seriously falters, the U.S. could tip into the first recession ever caused directly by the actions of the president, rather than the action of tight monetary policy on an overstretched private sector,” Mr. Shepherdson said.

Instead of crying about it, Mr. Shepherdson, should be doing something by supporting President Trump in his trade war with China. The World Trade organization is supposed to settle trade disputes and they don't seem to be doing anything. The world can't allow China to continue stealing companies intellectual property without them eventually taking over all trade and no one can fight back without a military war. Certainly, you must prefer Trump's trade war with China over a military war with China.
When he isn’t raving about how the deep state is conspiring against him, Donald Trump loves to boast about the economy, claiming to have achieved unprecedented things. As it happens, none of his claims are true. While both G.D.P. and employment have registered solid growth, the Trump economy simply seems to have continued a long expansion that began under Barack Obama. In fact, someone who looked only at the past 10 years of data would never guess that an election had taken place.

The link between the trade war and agriculture’s woes is obvious: America’s farmers are deeply dependent on export markets, China in particular. So they’re hurting badly, despite a huge financial bailout that is already more than twice as big as the Obama administration’s auto bailout. (Part of the problem may be that the bailout money is flowing disproportionately to the biggest, richest farms.)

The Trumpist trade warriors, it turns out, missed two key points. First, many U.S. manufacturers depend heavily on imported parts and other inputs; the trade war is disrupting their supply chains. Second, Trump’s trade policy isn’t just protectionist, it’s erratic, creating vast uncertainty for businesses both here and abroad. And businesses are responding to that uncertainty by putting plans for investment and job creation on hold.

So the tweeter in chief has bungled his way into a Trump Slump, even if it isn’t a full-blown recession, at least so far. It’s clearly going to hurt him politically, notably because of the contrast between his big talk and not-so-great reality. Also, the pain in manufacturing seems to be falling especially hard on those swing states Trump took by tiny margins in 2016, giving him the Electoral College despite losing the popular vote.

So what will come next? Trump being Trump, it’s a good bet that he’ll soon be denouncing troubling economic data as fake news; I wouldn’t be surprised to see political pressure on the statistical agencies to report better numbers. Hey, if it can happen to the National Weather Service, why not the Bureau of Economic Analysis (which reports, by the way, to Wilbur Ross)?

And somehow or other this will turn out to be another deep-state conspiracy, probably orchestrated by George Soros.
jimjam wrote:So what will come next? Trump being Trump, it’s a good bet that he’ll soon be denouncing troubling economic data as fake news; I wouldn’t be surprised to see political pressure on the statistical agencies to report better numbers. Hey, if it can happen to the National Weather Service, why not the Bureau of Economic Analysis (which reports, by the way, to Wilbur Ross)?

And somehow or other this will turn out to be another deep-state conspiracy, probably orchestrated by George Soros.

Yeah, why not?
Well, without actually looking it up, i'd say every president could potentially claim to have achieved a record high on the Dow Jones shock exchange, but only one could argue that he reduced the deficit and the debt. 3 times: Bill Clinton (D).
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:Yeah, why not?

What is your opinion of Franklin D. Roosevelt?

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]