Federal Government Confirms Nearing Apocalypse -- it's very hard to dismiss this. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
7 min. long.
We need to do something about climate change NOW! Cenk Uygur and Ana Kasparian, hosts of The Young Turks, break it down. JOIN THE HOME OF PROGRESSIVES: https://go.tyt.com/Bfz-Ue6nA_w

Read more here:
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/a...

"On Friday afternoon, the U.S. government published a major and ominous climate report. Despite being released on a holiday, when it seemed the smallest number of people would be paying attention, the latest installment of the National Climate Assessment is, as told to my colleague Robinson Meyer, full of “information that every human needs.”

Read: A grave climate warning, buried on Black Friday

The report traces the effects climate change has already wrought upon every region of the United States, from nationwide heat waves to dwindling snowpacks in the West. In blunt and disturbing terms, it also envisions the devastation yet to come.

The document’s dire claims, backed by 13 federal agencies, come frequently into conflict with the aims of the administration that released it. Where the Trump administration has sought to loosen restrictions on car emissions, the report warns that vehicles are contributing to unhealthy ozone levels that affect nearly a third of Americans. Whereas the president has ensured that the United States will no longer meet the goals outlined in the Paris Agreement on climate change, the report says that ignoring Paris could accelerate coral bleaching in Hawaii by more than a decade."

the link:
It is quite obvious that the human race is not entering …… it has entered a very serious and dangerous period. To combat global warming in any meaningful way will require some very significant and basic changes in how we do business. ie. ditch coal and embrace wind/solar power. Such changes will interrupt some extremely profitable business' capacity for making profits. Unsurprisingly these business's do not wish to see their profits endangered. Unfortunately I see love of money trumping (pun :lol: ) any altruistic action by the human race's leadership until the situation becomes so dire that it (surprise!) interferes with profits. Whether or not humans smarten up soon enough to not kill the goose that is laying the golden egg is strictly a roll of the dice at this point. Me? I'm 74 and will most likely miss seeing the shit hit the wall. But ….. like it or not …. this is the biggest game in town.

this hopeful sign just in: The G20 members agreed on a 31-point communiqué that reaffirmed their commitment to the Paris climate accord, even as the United States reiterated its decision to pull out of it.

“All countries except the U.S. backed conclusions reaffirming the Paris Agreement and its full implementation,” Laurence Tubiana, the former French climate negotiator and now head of the European Climate Foundation, said in a statement.
jimjam wrote:It is quite obvious that the human race is not entering …… it has entered a very serious and dangerous period. To combat global warming in any meaningful way will require some very significant and basic changes in how we do business. ie. ditch coal and embrace wind/solar power. Such changes will interrupt some extremely profitable business' capacity for making profits. Unsurprisingly these business's do not wish to see their profits endangered. Unfortunately I see love of money trumping (pun :lol: ) any altruistic action by the human race's leadership until the situation becomes so dire that it (surprise!) interferes with profits. Whether or not humans smarten up soon enough to not kill the goose that is laying the golden egg is strictly a roll of the dice at this point. Me? I'm 74 and will most likely miss seeing the shit hit the wall. But ….. like it or not …. this is the biggest game in town.

this hopeful sign just in: The G20 members agreed on a 31-point communiqué that reaffirmed their commitment to the Paris climate accord, even as the United States reiterated its decision to pull out of it.

“All countries except the U.S. backed conclusions reaffirming the Paris Agreement and its full implementation,” Laurence Tubiana, the former French climate negotiator and now head of the European Climate Foundation, said in a statement.

What do you expect the result to be of this agreement? Do you honestly believe these elitists have any intentions of doing anything other than taxing and requiring the lower classes to tolerate more hardship? They won’t do anything to make a difference. Just distract you into paying more for nothing while they consolidate more centralized control.
One Degree wrote:What do you expect the result to be of this agreement? Do you honestly believe these elitists have any intentions of doing anything other than taxing and requiring the lower classes to tolerate more hardship? They won’t do anything to make a difference. Just distract you into paying more for nothing while they consolidate more centralized control.

Our generation is going to leave one big fucking lethal mess for the next generation and you are wining on and on about elitists while, at the same time, sucking up to Donald … the quintessential elitist. I don't have any kids to apologize to. Do you?

But, then, your boy has put the issue of global warming forever in it's right place by exposing the alternative fact that the whole idea is a Chinese fabrication. (Aren't you even a little bit ashamed for believing such abject nonsense?)
jimjam wrote:Our generation is going to leave one big fucking lethal mess for the next generation and you are wining on and on about elitists while, at the same time, sucking up to Donald … the quintessential elitist. I don't have any kids to apologize to. Do you?

But, then, your boy has put the issue of global warming forever in it's right place by exposing the alternative fact that the whole idea is a Chinese fabrication. (Aren't you even a little bit ashamed for believing such abject nonsense?)

I never gave an opinion on Trumps statement about China, so it is dishonest to accuse me of a position I have never claimed.
What good does it do to ‘get all worked up’ over climate change when there is no indication anyone in power intends to do anything significant?
I, like many who are truly concerned about the environment, have little hope of these politicians being sincere. To support Democrats politics because of climate change is to abandon all hope. They aren’t offering anything significant, just platitudes for votes that distract you from demanding real change.
Try to justify their position on immigration to Europe and the US with battling climate change? They are contradictory. There is no sincerity in either position. Just manipulation for votes.
One Degree wrote:I never gave an opinion on Trumps statement about China, so it is dishonest to accuse me of a position I have never claimed.

I apologize. I was of the apparently incorrect opinion that you agreed with everything emanating from your man's mouth.
Forget politics if you are able. Humankind is obviously killing the goose that is laying the golden egg in the name of greed and short term gain. What would you do about the problem? Anything or the nothing that our Great Leader proposes? I guarantee you #1 the shit will hit the fan sooner or later.
jimjam wrote:I apologize. I was of the apparently incorrect opinion that you agreed with everything emanating from your man's mouth.
Forget politics if you are able. Humankind is obviously killing the goose that is laying the golden egg in the name of greed and short term gain. What would you do about the problem? Anything or the nothing that our Great Leader proposes? I guarantee you #1 the shit will hit the fan sooner or later.

We must stop immigration. We must reduce our population. We must reduce international trade through greater self sufficiency. We must reduce our militaries. We must reduce air travel.
All of these can be reintroduced when our population drops below 2 billion imo. They are emergency measures due to our current population.
Ever heard of Bjørn Lomborg? Here's his take on the media reaction to the US global warming report:

The media got it all wrong on the new US climate report

Activists tend to exaggerate the impacts of climate change while underestimating the costs of tackling it. The reception to the new US climate assessment was instructive. The report largely attempts to remain soberly scientific, and follows the even more careful global report by the United Nations’ climate-science panel, known as the IPCC.

Sadly, accurate science doesn’t make for good television; predicting the end of times does.

Among many others, widely quoted climate scientist Michael Mann talked up the report to NPR and CNN, saying its predictions are already borne out in today’s “unprecedented weather extremes.”

Actually, the assessment, and science, tell a different story. “Drought statistics over the entire contiguous US have declined,” the report finds, reminding us that “the Dust Bowl era of the 1930s remains the benchmark drought and extreme heat event.”

On flooding, the assessment accepts the IPCC’s finding, which “did not attribute changes in flooding to anthropogenic [human] influence nor report detectable changes in flooding magnitude, duration or frequency.”

Even more dramatic was CNN’s headline, screaming that “climate change will shrink [US] economy” by 10 percent, a figure also repeated on The New York Times front page.

Actually, the UN’s climate scenarios envision US GDP per capita will more than triple by the end of this century, so this 10 percent reduction would come from an economy 300 percent larger than it is today. A slightly smaller bonanza, in other words.

But the 10 percent figure is itself dodgy. It assumes that temperatures will increase about 14 degrees Fahrenheit by the end of the century. This is unlikely. The US climate assessment itself estimates that, with no significant climate action, American temperatures will increase by between 5 and 8.7 degrees. Using the high estimate of 8.7 degrees, the damage would be only half as big, at 5 percent.

But even the 8.7-degree warming estimate is unrealistically pessimistic. This stems from an extreme high-emission scenario that expects almost the entire world to revert to using massive amounts of coal: a five-fold increase from today.

That, in turn, assumes a much higher amount of fossil fuels than are plausibly available for use, according to one study. Another study likewise found the scenario “exceptionally unlikely.”

So, even a 5 percent reduction in the size of the American economy only follows from picking unlikely worst-case scenarios.

Moreover, two-thirds of the purported 10 percent damage to the economy comes from just one category: heat deaths.

While it is true that more people die when it is unusually hot, it is not true that lives are shorter in hotter places. That’s because people adapt. And studies of migrants show people do so very quickly, within weeks.

Conjecturing that the temperature-mortality relationship in the US would remain constant over a century is ludicrous. This assumes that even if temperatures were to increase by 14 degrees, people would die in masses, ignoring the fact that people have been shown to adjust over time to temperature changes. Then, too, over the 80 years until 2100, people can make many additional changes that reduce this risk, from getting air conditioners to changing how they build structures.

So, the well-reported idea that warming will shrink the economy by 10 percent disregards huge economic growth, assumes twice the damages of the worst-case temperatures the report itself expects and even then only finds such high costs stemming almost exclusively from easily preventable heat deaths.

While activists overstate the costs of climate change, they suggest its reversal is simply a matter of political will. In fact, there are significant costs to climate action: It often involves replacing relatively cheap, efficient fossil fuels with still-uncompetitive green-energy sources.

Climate economist William Nordhaus has shown that a globally coordinated and gradually increasing carbon tax could cut temperature rises to 6.3 degrees from 7.4 at a cost of $20 trillion in lost productivity, but more than pay for itself by lowering climate costs.

Yet this requires a very well-designed, coordinated global policy. In the real world, climate policies are typically less effective and much costlier.

Nordhaus shows that more ambitious policies like the Paris Agreement target of 3.6 degrees would cost some $134 trillion, much more than the associated climate benefits. Such prescriptions for climate change are worse than the disease.

Yes, we need to speed up the transition from fossil fuels by investing in green R&D. Even so, reporting on climate change needs to be grounded in reality. Exaggeration is understandable but dangerous, because it risks wasting resources on the wrong policy answers, and gives ammunition to those who would ignore this real challenge.
Steve_American wrote:@Doug64,
Yes, it is easy to find reports like that.
The problem is they are wrong.
MMT will make the cost seem trivial.
The US GDP will not grow that large by 2100.
There are not real resources enough to do that.

That predicted 300+ percent growth in GDP is in the same report that predicts a possible 10% decline--IOW, the report predicts that at worst the US GDP will only grow by 270+ percent instead of 300+.
One Degree wrote:when our population drops below 2 billion

I'm not sure what this means. Who's population is 2 billion? Earth is 7.6 billion.

Eauz wrote:Climate change has been happening for over 4 billion years. People need to accept that we won't always be living the same life forever. Animals change and evolve, so should humans.

I never cease to be astounded at the level of denial about the magnitude of the poison and pollution humans are bequeathing future generations. Not only do animals change and evolve, they go extinct. (are humans not animals :?: )I guess people need to accept that they will poison themselves into extinction.

Global warming is just one of many things humans are doing to destroy the planet and commit planet wide genocide.
Globally, millions of metric tonnes of plastic waste enter the ocean each year. In 2010, for example, between 4.8 million and 12.7 million metric tonnes of plastic hit the water. That’s equivalent to dumping a garbage truck of plastic into marine waters every minute.

Alarmingly, production of single-use plastic, like grocery bags, contributed nearly 40 per cent of total plastic production in 2015. Many end up in our oceans.

jimjam wrote:I'm not sure what this means. Who's population is 2 billion? Earth is 7.6 billion.

I never cease to be astounded at the level of denial about the magnitude of the poison and pollution humans are bequeathing future generations. Not only do animals change and evolve, they go extinct. (are humans not animals :?: )I guess people need to accept that they will poison themselves into extinction.

Global warming is just one of many things humans are doing to destroy the planet and commit planet wide genocide.
Globally, millions of metric tonnes of plastic waste enter the ocean each year. In 2010, for example, between 4.8 million and 12.7 million metric tonnes of plastic hit the water. That’s equivalent to dumping a garbage truck of plastic into marine waters every minute.

Alarmingly, production of single-use plastic, like grocery bags, contributed nearly 40 per cent of total plastic production in 2015. Many end up in our oceans.

The earths.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]