The Trump Shut Down - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I'm loving this. I just had a sneaking suspicion interest rates weren't going to be the only issue. Democrats taking the House, more rate hikes and a government shutdown and no green lights for China are just what the doctor ordered for me. I wish I had shorted it, but being completely out of the market by the beginning of October is sweet enough for me.
By jimjam
blackjack21 wrote:I'm loving this. I just had a sneaking suspicion interest rates weren't going to be the only issue. Democrats taking the House, more rate hikes and a government shutdown and no green lights for China are just what the doctor ordered for me. I wish I had shorted it, but being completely out of the market by the beginning of October is sweet enough for me.

Oh you are wonderful. BTW who gets all your spectacular wealth after you drop dead?
By Hindsite
Godstud wrote::lol: Could you find a less biased source than the extreme right-wing DailyCaller for your source? :lol:

Most of Trump's fails come from him trying to institute unconstitutional measures, and blaming his incompetence for dealing with his own party, is perfectly justified. Trump's never been a team player.

Political team players are not what we need in this illegal alien problem. We need politicians that will forget about political party politics and fix the stupid immigration laws, which is what President Trump has been requesting for nearly two years now. Have you forgotten that President Obama also used executive orders that were eventually ruled to be unconstitutional by the Supreme Court?
By Godstud
Oh by all means, please show me these unconstitutional executive orders that Obama did. I think you're making up some kind of fucked up justification for Trump doing nasty shit, as usual.

As for your claim about illegal immigration becoming a bigger problem... It's bullshit.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... n-the-u-s/
By One Degree
Godstud wrote:Oh by all means, please show me these unconstitutional executive orders that Obama did. I think you're making up some kind of fucked up justification for Trump doing nasty shit, as usual.

As for your claim about illegal immigration becoming a bigger problem... It's bullshit.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... n-the-u-s/

You really need to think about what those numbers mean. Millions every year. Going up or down a little changes nothing.
jimjam wrote:Oh you are wonderful.

Aw shucks!

In the markets, the trend is your friend--until it's not. Over the long run, you are better off being long the market than short for sure. You are better off staying invested than trying to time the market. However, if you are successful at timing, you can dramatically increase your returns. We got a rocky quarter ahead of us, but I dodged a bullet and there are a lot of great names that are getting much cheaper now. :)

Don't fret too much, jimjam. The market is taking now, because it forecasts a slowing economy 18 months out. The market will bottom out soon, even though the economy is fine. Then, the market will start to rise again even though the economy will start sucking. It's not super intuitive, but it's just a time lag. It's also your best opportunity to get rid of Trump. That's why people like Bill Maher wanted a brutal recession, because he thinks that will get rid of Trump.

jimjam wrote:BTW who gets all your spectacular wealth after you drop dead?

The government already takes most of my spectacular wealth in the form of taxes. So they will not be getting any that isn't lawfully owed to them. I will probably give most of it to the younger generation of my family and provide some to a non-profit drug and alcohol addiction recovery charity. I'm thinking of buying a few more solar panels I don't need so that I can get a tax credit for buying a battery. I still need to get clear on the law on qualifying for the credit.

Hindsite wrote:Political team players are not what we need in this illegal alien problem.

Right. I interpret the phrase "bi-partisan consensus" as "you are going to get fucked over."

Godstud wrote:Oh by all means, please show me these unconstitutional executive orders that Obama did. I think you're making up some kind of fucked up justification for Trump doing nasty shit, as usual.

Obama had the most unanimous rebukes by the Supreme Court of any modern president.

Here is one germaine to the topic of immigration.
For Obama, Supreme Court Defeat Upends a Legacy on Immigration
I just love how the New York Times was spinning for Clinton. :lol:
The Supreme Court’s immigration ruling is a defeat for President Obama but could help Hillary Clinton and the fortunes of Democratic candidates across the country.
But even as Republicans hailed what they called a major victory, Democrats said they believed the ruling would energize a nationwide voter registration drive intended to benefit Mrs. Clinton in her presidential campaign against Donald J. Trump.

The media was wrong then, and it is wrong now.

One Degree wrote:You really need to think about what those numbers mean. Millions every year. Going up or down a little changes nothing.

It's also assuming that illegal aliens fill out US Census forms.
By Godstud
@blackjack21 Defeating something Obama did, does not make it "unconstitutional", so you provided nothing. Nice try, troll. :lol:
By XogGyux
Godstud wrote:@blackjack21 Defeating something Obama did, does not make it "unconstitutional", so you provided nothing. Nice try, troll. :lol:

This guy is hilarious. "Trump is great, the economy is great, but thank god I took my money out of the market in October"
"Trump is the leader we need, as soon as he gets into the white house he will drain the swamp and make america great again... 2 years later Oh nooooo trump cannot do shit despite having republican senate and house because a minority of Democrats got all the power and those appointed by TRUMP HIMSELF are working against him"
Either he is a moron or an incompetent fool. One of the two must be true, if he cannot handle the governing part, he is incompetent, if this is his best "governing" then he is a fool. One of the two must be true and BOTH can (and probably are) true.
If you have so much trust in this moron, put your money where your mouth is and invest it all. Anything short of that and you don't believe the shit that is spurting out of his mouth. Doing otherwise would be unpatriotic as you would not be supporting the very president you think is doing an amazing job. :lol:
By Drlee
I wish I had shorted it, but being completely out of the market by the beginning of October is sweet enough for me.

I am not completely out but I am mostly out. So far so good.

McConnell did not put the house bill up for a vote for three reasons. First, and most important, is that he probably did not have the votes. Why? Reason number two. The wall is a political looser with independents. Less than 1/3 of them want it. Don't think he is not all over the polls. Third. It is a horrible idea. It would be scandalously expensive. It would be an ecological disaster. And it wouldn't work.

But consider this. Suppose they gave Trump his wall. About 25 billion dollars for it. Would that benefit them politically? Well. Clearly with independents and democrats, no. But how about their all-important "base". The wall is popular with 80% of republicans. What about them? Don't they elect republican politicians? Actually not so much. They are only 25% of the electorate. They must have independents and Dixiecrats to win anywhere.

Trump himself probably doesn't really want the wall. He needs it to excite his base. The wall is far more valuable to Trump unbuilt than it ever will be once started. Once building starts there will be no good news for him at all. Just bad press about every setback and every dead rabbit.

McConnell and the republican leadership are faced with another problem though. How to keep Trump off of the ballot in 2020. Giving him victories would not help them do that. It is fairly sure that the republicans will keep the senate in 2020. The thing most likely to knock them off of that fence is having Trump in the White House pulling is silly shenanigans. So, it seems to me, that McConnell did exactly what an establishment republican would do. He went with the votes.

We will see what happens with the democrat control of the house. Trump is in for a shit ton of trouble. If you think he is defensive now, wait until the Dems start releasing documents. As BJ said, Trump could double-down on his populist message and start declassifying documents which could throw establishment types into full blown defensive mode. Any way it comes down though, denying Trump the wall makes total political sense. And in a rare confluence of interests, it makes sense for both parties.

Note to Hindsite. Trump lied to you. He said "Mexico will pay for the wall". Did you not believe him in the first place? Do you think he was lying? If not, do you think he was just stupid in thinking they would? Or do you not care? Are you curious why Trump imported unskilled labor for Mar Lago rather than pay US workers a few extra dollars an hour? I thought not.
By jimjam
Drlee wrote:Note to Hindsite. Trump lied to you. He said "Mexico will pay for the wall". Did you not believe him in the first place? Do you think he was lying? If not, do you think he was just stupid in thinking they would?

I have the perfect solution. Trump could just lie to his supporters, say the wall is already built, they would automatically believe him, it would save us all billions of dollars, then the government shutdown would end. It's a win for all concerned.

blackjack21 wrote:In the markets, the trend is your friend--until it's not. Over the long run, you are better off being long the market than short for sure. You are better off staying invested than trying to time the market. However, if you are successful at timing, you can dramatically increase your returns.

Financial trends are rather obvious and repetitive. The constant is human greed ….. which is predictable. As you say, timing is the challenge. I am laughably conservative with my finances. I left the stock market years ago and have had zero debt for decades. I do watch and attempt to use trends to my advantage but prefer assets that I can closely control such as real estate which has it's own pluses and minuses. I have replaced my share of roofs, furnaces, water heaters and air conditioners down thru the years but have also paid for this shit with rental income. I get to live in a high rent district in Portland, Maine a few minute walk from the ocean for free. My tenant pays for the upkeep. Free. Zero. What most Americans do not seem to grasp is that a dollar saved in the expense column is just as beneficial as ever scrambling for more income. I also used the crash of 2008 to pick ip a place here in Florida which has maybe tripled in value. I even got, not unlike Donald, a tax gift :eek: .

Now …. smoke a fine Cuban cigar and watch the palms sway in the moonlight while hoping that Donald doesn't pop off a few nukes as he goes down the drain.
By Hindsite
Drlee wrote:Note to Hindsite. Trump lied to you. He said "Mexico will pay for the wall". Did you not believe him in the first place? Do you think he was lying? If not, do you think he was just stupid in thinking they would? Or do you not care? Are you curious why Trump imported unskilled labor for Mar Lago rather than pay US workers a few extra dollars an hour? I thought not.

I have address this a long time ago. Trump never meant that he would get a check from Mexico to pay for the wall before it is built like they depicted on that SNL comedy show. Only stupid people would believe that was the case. The wall must be built first before any money directly for the wall can be extracted from Mexico. Trump even said that there were various ways to get the money from Mexico to eventually pay for the wall; and he has already made a trade deal with Mexico and Canada that will benefit us financially. But first he has to borrow the money from the bank (U.S. Congress in this case) if the wall is going to built anytime soon. I believe the wall will eventually be built, because the American people will demand it. Whether it happens while Trump is President, I am not sure because too many people have caught the dreaded Trump derangement syndrome that makes them horrified by anything they think Trump wants to do.
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:Only stupid people would believe that was the case.

Touche! Case dismissed :lol:
By Drlee
The wall must be built first before any money directly for the wall can be extracted from Mexico.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFLOL

Why is that?
By Godstud
The conned never think they are conned, @Drlee.

It's simply stupidity.
By Drlee
All to true Godstud. They simply don't get it.

The other day I got one of those calls from the Fraternal Order of Police, asking for money for their charity. The guy on the phone was affecting a gruff voice. Of course he was not a cop. He was a telemarketer. So I asked him if he is a cop. Of course he said no. So I told him to have a real policeman call me and ask for the money and I would consider it.

My point is that even though these fake charities are all over the news some mental midgets just can't get it through their heads that they have been duped. So I am calling Trump supporters stupid to their faces. No pass for them. Why be nice to them? They are destroying my country. Stupidity and bigotry go hand-in-hand. If you are a Trump supporter you are a racist. It really is as simple as that.
By One Degree
Drlee wrote:All to true Godstud. They simply don't get it.

The other day I got one of those calls from the Fraternal Order of Police, asking for money for their charity. The guy on the phone was affecting a gruff voice. Of course he was not a cop. He was a telemarketer. So I asked him if he is a cop. Of course he said no. So I told him to have a real policeman call me and ask for the money and I would consider it.

My point is that even though these fake charities are all over the news some mental midgets just can't get it through their heads that they have been duped. So I am calling Trump supporters stupid to their faces. No pass for them. Why be nice to them? They are destroying my country. Stupidity and bigotry go hand-in-hand. If you are a Trump supporter you are a racist. It really is as simple as that.

‘Simple’ is definitely descriptive of this post. You are openly embracing your bigotry to criticize bigotry. Talk about stupid. You make it impossible to believe you could care about anyone. Your compassion is exposed as a total sham. You openly admit people must agree with you or you see them as inferior. That is not compassion. That is delusion.
By Godstud
One Degree wrote:You are openly embracing your bigotry to criticize bigotry.
Are you fucking serious? Do you even know what the word bigotry means? Educational professional, my ass!

Disliking bigotry is perfectly normal for rational and sane people.

I feel sad having to explain things to a so-called ex-teacher, but....

Bigot
a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices

When you display this, you are displaying BIGOTRY.

One Degree wrote: Talk about stupid.
Yes, what you said IS stupid.

Disliking people who support Trump despite his lying, lack of ethics, and other actual reasons, is not bigotry. These people are promoting ignorance, racism, and prejudice that is causing problems all over the world.
By One Degree
Godstud wrote:Are you fucking serious? Do you even know what the word bigotry means? Educational professional, my ass!

Disliking bigotry is perfectly normal for rational and sane people.

I feel sad having to explain things to a so-called ex-teacher, but....

Bigot
a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices

When you display this, you are displaying BIGOTRY.

Yes, what you said IS stupid.

Disliking people who support Trump despite his lying, lack of ethics, and other actual reasons, is not bigotry. These people are promoting ignorance, racism, and prejudice that is causing problems all over the world.

Thanks for the laugh. You quote a definition and still can’t figure out it works both ways. Lol
By Godstud
You're trying to alter a definition to suit you. Childish and intellectually dishonest.

An important part of the definition which you like to ignore is this part:

Prejudice
preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

so American traitor Russell Bentley kidnapped and[…]

The dominant race of the planet is still the Whit[…]

I recently heard a video where Penn Jillette (w[…]