The System is Fundamentally Broken AOC says.... - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#14987137
Rancid wrote:The purpose of the salaries is so that they don't start taking bribes.

You don't want to pay them shit.

Then again, they're taking bribes anyway! :lol:


It is time to start spanking these corrupt politicians Rancid.

They need to get their asses burned badly and their finances examined with a magnifying glass.
#14987147
Tainari88 wrote:
It is time to start spanking these corrupt politicians Rancid.

They need to get their asses burned badly and their finances examined with a magnifying glass.


You are 100% right, if it were somehow possible to basically expose every single source these slimly politicians get their money from. I think it would really help voters understand their political candidates much better.
#14987156
Just dig hard on every single source of income and expenditure of theirs both personal and public and trace it to its source. I heard it is very challenging to do so because the law allows the corporations to hide everything with the full force of the unethical law behind it. It is amazing people are not outraged at all this crap!!
#14987158
Tainari88 wrote:Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez takes on what is wrong with Washington DC style politics:


She barely scratched the surface. One thing she forgot to mention is the big back-end payoffs they get for their service to corporate capitalism after they leave electoral politics that come in the form of lucrative lobbying and consulting jobs, millions of dollars for paid speeches, multi-million dollar book and tv deals, highly paid sinecures in academia, crony nepotistic land deals and job offers for children and spouses, etc etc etc. The back-end is the big post-electoral cash out and it's all perfectly legal institutionalized corruption.

A benefice or living is a reward received in exchange for services rendered and as a retainer for future services. The Roman Empire used the Latin term beneficium as a benefit to an individual from the Empire for services rendered. Its use was adopted by the Western Church in the Carolingian Era as a benefit bestowed by the crown or church officials.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benefice



How does one change such a broken system? Any suggestions?


Something like a non-compete contract might work for post electoral quid pro quo. The politicians seeking office could enter into a binding contract with a legal entity created by their constituents that restricts them to government work only for no less than 30 years after they leave office.
#14987165
Democrats refused to stand when President Trump said that America would never be a socialist country.


Thank God.

I can see that I have to educate you about our constitution. Our constitution does not preclude the US becoming socialist. The democrats believe in our constitution but republicans don't. Republicans say that the US is inherently a capitalist country. They do not act like it however. They spend like drunken sailors on borrowed money. They enact programs that take money from you and me and give it to other people. These are the things they condemn as "socialist". Of course you do not know what socialist is. So how about this. Before you troll again how about googling what socialist means and then get someone to explain it to you using small words.
#14987173
Drlee wrote:Thank God.

I can see that I have to educate you about our constitution. Our constitution does not preclude the US becoming socialist. The democrats believe in our constitution but republicans don't. Republicans say that the US is inherently a capitalist country. They do not act like it however. They spend like drunken sailors on borrowed money. They enact programs that take money from you and me and give it to other people. These are the things they condemn as "socialist". Of course you do not know what socialist is. So how about this. Before you troll again how about googling what socialist means and then get someone to explain it to you using small words.

There is a difference between capitalism that uses social safety nets like Social Security and Medicare for the aged and Socialism that calls for the government to control everything.

What Happens When Democrats Use Too Many Socialist Policies To Run A State?

Examining How the Left ruined California.



Shortly after he took office, California's Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom unearthed an unprecedented new health care agenda for his state, aimed at offering dramatically more benefits to illegal immigrants and protecting the embattled Affordable Care Act, which a federal judge recently struck down as unconstitutional.
#14987175
Hindsite wrote:Socialism that calls for the government to control everything.
And with this statement you remove all doubt that you know nothing about what Socialism actually is.

Socialism
- a political and economic theory of social organization which advocates that the means of production, distribution, and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole.

- policy or practice based on the political and economic theory of socialism.
#14987187
Godstud wrote: And with this statement you remove all doubt that you know nothing about what Socialism actually is.

Socialism
- a political and economic theory of social organization which advocates that the means of production, distribution, and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole.

- policy or practice based on the political and economic theory of socialism.

Godstud, I totally agree that it would be nicer if people stuck to old definitions like super glue. The thing is they don't. So, when some right wing nut job says "Socialism will ... ." You really have no idea what he meant by that. Unless you get to see the fine print.
For example, to me looking back Pres. Obama was a Dem sell-out. Literally everything he did helped the top 10% or 1%. Even the ACA wasn't single-payer and will make the 1% richer. He bailed out the criminals who ran the big banks and left the little people swinging in the wind. They lost their houses, when he didn't spent even 10% of the money Congress appropriated for the purpose of helping homeowners, IIRC. Etc. Etc.
. . . And yet, he was called a socialist or even communist. By you know who.
#14987188
Steve_American wrote:Literally everything he did helped the top 10% or 1%.
Few will dispute that. The ACA, however, was not there to help the top 10%.

Steve_American wrote:Even the ACA wasn't single-payer and will make the 1% richer.
:eh: How? Please provide a source for this claim that providing more poor people with insurance coverage will make rich people richer.

Steve_American wrote:. . . And yet, he was called a socialist or even communist. By you know who.
Yes. Most Americans don't know what Socialism or Communism is. They're quite ignorant on the matter beyond what they've been brain-washed into thinking, over the last 60+ years.
#14987194
Godstud wrote:And with this statement you remove all doubt that you know nothing about what Socialism actually is.

Socialism
- a political and economic theory of social organization which advocates that the means of production, distribution, and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole.

- policy or practice based on the political and economic theory of socialism.

The "community as a whole" actually means the government officials. Capitalism allows for individual ownership and control.
#14987195
Hindsite wrote:The "community as a whole" actually means the government officials.
False. You're been properly brain-washed, I see. :knife:

Community is made up of individuals, who often want the same things. You forget that in your thoughtless worship of unregulated capitalism(a purely economic system that doesn't work to help people, only individuals).
#14987197
Godstud wrote:False. You're been properly brain-washed, I see. :knife:

Community is made up of individuals, who often want the same things. You forget that in your thoughtless worship of unregulated capitalism(a purely economic system that doesn't work to help people, only individuals).

Venezuela tried socialism. It resulted in a lot of unhappy poor individuals under a dictatorship. Under capitalism the USA has a lot of happy rich individuals and many happy well off individuals with fewer poor individuals.
#14987199
@Godstud,
I don't need a source. I claim it is self-evident that the 1% own most all of the stock of the medical insurance comps. [either directly or indirectly] that everyone must now buy a policy from.
Medicare for all ends all that. Also, while we are at it we should let the Medicare Admin. force big pharma to sell it drugs at a much lower price. I'm not sure how this impacts mom & pop drug stores. We would not want to force them all out of business. It's not their fault that big pharma are greedy fuckers.
#14987201
Steve_American wrote:@Godstud,
I don't need a source. I claim it is self-evident that the 1% own most all of the stock of the medical insurance comps. [either directly or indirectly] that everyone must now buy a policy from.
Medicare for all ends all that. Also, while we are at it we should let the Medicare Admin. force big pharma to sell it drugs at a much lower price. I'm not sure how this impacts mom & pop drug stores. We would not want to force them all out of business. It's not their fault that big pharma are greedy fuckers.

Medicare for all would also ruin Medicare. Big pharma is not going work hard to make new drugs if they are not going to get rewarded for their efforts. That is just common sense.
#14987220
Hindsite wrote:Venezuela tried socialism.
It's not socialist if you have a dictator. :lol: Venezuela's problems are linked to Capitalism and a single resource economy(oil), that got hard hit in 2015. It's good to actually research something before just name-dropping. It wasn't Socialism, that caused the problems.

What Are the Causes of Venezuela’s Economic Crisis?
https://www.historyhit.com/what-are-the ... ic-crisis/

Steve_American wrote:I don't need a source. I claim it is self-evident that the 1% own most all of the stock of the medical insurance comps.
I don't need a source to dismiss your claim, as the ramblings of a conspiracy theorist then, right? ;)

Since when do insurance company stocks go up when you get more insured at cheaper rates? That would cause insurance stocks to drop, which is why ACA is unpopular amongst the 1%ers. It's pretty "self-evident".

Hindsite wrote:Medicare for all would also ruin Medicare.
How? That's like saying the Universal Healthcare doesn't work, when it clearly does.

Hindsite wrote:Big pharma is not going work hard to make new drugs if they are not going to get rewarded for their efforts.
They do in many other countries where they have the equivalent of Medicare, so your argument is simply foolish.

Hindsite wrote:That is just common sense.
No. It is nonsense. It is not borne out in reality, either.
#14987234
While I agree in part with Steve The American that the wealthy benefit some from the ACA because it off-loads their responsibility to provide affordable health care to their employees, it is equally true that it does not go far enough. A single payer system is far more effective and far more affordable.

RE Big Pharma. The argument that they will stop producing drugs if they cannot charge extortionate prices for them doe not explain why drugs that cost $X in the US cost less than half that amount in Canada and the UK. And in the case of the Hep C drugs, in Africa they cost less than 1% of what they cost here.

Perhaps the US is funding drug research for the whole world and some might say that is OK but not me. We have a law precluding the federal government from negotiating drug prices. That is criminal.
#14987373
Americans say that a lot, but I rarely hear about proposals on how to change the system, at least not from politicians (other than "vote for me and things will change").


The problem is that the politicians who would have to change the rule are completely owned by the money pharma gives them. Our tradition of bribes under the guise of campaign contributions by corporations is very sad.
Pro and Anti EU - The Arguments

I think Steve_American point is about like the EU[…]

Why I am a Materialist Christian

@Victoribus Spolia , Just wanted to note, make[…]

https://youtu.be/typ2pl2L47k His best movie so far[…]

Making water potable is simple, even a Muslim cou[…]