America's Reichstag Fire - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By jimjam
Trump's "national emergency" is that he was unable to preen before his "base" and get what he wanted via the time tested democratic system of government in America that was put into place by America's Founding Fathers involving a counter balancing division of power. It has been rather obvious for some time that division of power holds no sway whatsoever with Donald. In fact I seriously doubt that he is intellectually capable of understanding the concept let alone capable of accepting of it. The Reichstag fire was used by the Nazis in 1933 as a phony "emergency" to protect German citizens and cover up the not well hidden agenda of bypassing the established method of government and concentrating all power into the hands of a few.
I actually like this emergency, it's like he declared his presidency is in emergency and everything is burning around him like the Reichstag was, although I'd rather compare him to a balloon in flames and free fall as the Zeppelin was. I wonder if he feels like jumping out sometimes.
I think the wall will not get built because shit will be tied up in the courts. However, he will be re-elected because he will be in process of getting the wall built.

It sucks, but this strategy will work in his favor as far as re-election goes.
Beren wrote:As far as I can judge he's working against his reelection pretty hard.

Disagree 100%. This is firing up his supporters. Couple that with jerrymandering, and the election is his again.

I've been calling it for a while, he will be re-elected. I hope I will be proven wrong.
Rancid wrote:Disagree 100%. This is firing up his supporters. Couple that with jerrymandering, and the election is his again.

I've been calling it for a while, he will be re-elected. I hope I will be proven wrong.

The wall is unpopular in general, so was the shutdown and so is the emergency I guess, now they all stick to him like dog shit sticks to shoe sole, whereas his core supporters won't be enough to get him reelected no matter how fired up they get by this. The most wonderful thing is that the Democrats haven't even done anything so far, maybe they should keep it that way and let him mobilise society against himself spontaneously. The harder he pushes the better.
Beren wrote:The wall is unpopular in general, so was the shutdown and so is the emergency I guess, now they all stick to him like dog shit sticks to shoe sole, whereas his core supporters won't be enough to get him reelected no matter how fired up they get by this. The most wonderful thing is that the Democrats haven't even done anything so far, maybe they should keep it that way and let him mobilise society against himself spontaneously. The harder he pushes the better.

I don't know man, I don't know. Trump seems to find a way. We doubted him from the moment he declared he was going to run for president. Yet, look at where he is now.

The guy is made of Teflon. :lol:

Anyway, I hope you are100% right.
By Beren
Rancid wrote:I don't know man, I don't know. Trump seems to find a way. We doubted him from the moment he declared he was going to run for president. Yet, look at where he is now.

The guy is made of Teflon. :lol:

Anyway, I hope you are100% right.

I actually wonder whether Trump won the election or Hillary lost it. Anyway, it seems to me he means to prepare for a tough primary rather than a general election. Firing up his base like that would make sense in that case.
Rancid wrote:I think the wall will not get built because shit will be tied up in the courts. However, he will be re-elected because he will be in process of getting the wall built.

It sucks, but this strategy will work in his favor as far as re-election goes.

Trump has a floor that comprises his oinking pig base. However, 2016 was pretty low turnout for a presidential election thanks to both candidates being shit. The 2018 midterms were the highest turnout for an off year election in 50 years. Trump's disastrous presidency has energized a lot of voters.

The wall only satisfies his base, which isn't growing or shrinking. It effectively keeps GOP congress members in line but isn't actively increasing the number of people who will vote for him.

If Trump wins in 2020 it will be because the Dems were unable to put forth a viable candidate, not because of the wall. The wall is not popular and the methods Trump is taking to build it are not popular. It's moron bait for his base. It also makes the TV tell him he's a good boy, and the television is his real constituency.

The emergency declaration will also not survive the SCOTUS. Republicans do not want it to survive, because that means the next Democratic president could use the same reasoning to immediately enact something like Medicare for All or the sweeping carbon regulations.
Comrade Donald's definition of a "national emergency" is best defined by Humpty Dumpty who says to Alice, “it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”
SpecialOlympian wrote:Trump has a floor that comprises his oinking pig base. However, 2016 was pretty low turnout for a presidential election thanks to both candidates being shit. The 2018 midterms were the highest turnout for an off year election in 50 years. Trump's disastrous presidency has energized a lot of voters.

The wall only satisfies his base, which isn't growing or shrinking. It effectively keeps GOP congress members in line but isn't actively increasing the number of people who will vote for him.

If Trump wins in 2020 it will be because the Dems were unable to put forth a viable candidate, not because of the wall. The wall is not popular and the methods Trump is taking to build it are not popular. It's moron bait for his base. It also makes the TV tell him he's a good boy, and the television is his real constituency.

The emergency declaration will also not survive the SCOTUS. Republicans do not want it to survive, because that means the next Democratic president could use the same reasoning to immediately enact something like Medicare for All or the sweeping carbon regulations.

@Rancid

Trump will get reelected but for other reasons that you both are spouting.

Trump in simple terms is very lucky. There is just no way for US to fuck up right now or in the forceable future and it doesn't matter what the US does as long as it maintains its currents structure of government.

Currently the technological development and outside situation literally supports what Trump is doing. Trump is probably not smart enough to understand this nor did he see this situation coming but that is the reality. He is lucky. On top of that he is speeding up the whole situation without realising it. He is abusing US position to extort money/benefits out of different countries.

Long story short, there is currently no interest for the US to get engaged with the outside world. The Soviet Union is gone. There is no other power that come close to the US in any category. And US achieved a full Autarky of sorts where it just doesn't need any resources from outside or technology that it doesn't already have. So US can literally shut itself from the world with almost 0 consequences which will save money on the military in the long run so they can keep cutting the taxes.

The international order is not needed for the US anymore. There is no need for it because there is no Soviet Union. There is no need to import oil outside of the US anymore. So why bother protecting it?

10% Of US GDP is related to import/export. 50% of that is linked to Canada and Mexico. If US glasses all of the world besides Mexico and Canada they will only loose 5% of their GDP basically. (A bit more complicated then that but you get the idea)

I hope my pofo friends are all safe from the threat of screaming hoards of Mexican rapists, killers, jay walkers and drug crazed zombies that are presently threatening the very existence of America in one of it's most massive national emergencies in history. We're locked and loaded up in Portland, Maine. The Brown Menace was last reported heading our way through New York. I, personally, am afraid ….. very afraid.
JohnRawls wrote:@Rancid

Trump will get reelected but for other reasons that you both are spouting.

Trump in simple terms is very lucky. There is just no way for US to fuck up right now or in the forceable future and it doesn't matter what the US does as long as it maintains its currents structure of government.

Currently the technological development and outside situation literally supports what Trump is doing. Trump is probably not smart enough to understand this nor did he see this situation coming but that is the reality. He is lucky. On top of that he is speeding up the whole situation without realising it. He is abusing US position to extort money/benefits out of different countries.

Long story short, there is currently no interest for the US to get engaged with the outside world. The Soviet Union is gone. There is no other power that come close to the US in any category. And US achieved a full Autarky of sorts where it just doesn't need any resources from outside or technology that it doesn't already have. So US can literally shut itself from the world with almost 0 consequences which will save money on the military in the long run so they can keep cutting the taxes.

The international order is not needed for the US anymore. There is no need for it because there is no Soviet Union. There is no need to import oil outside of the US anymore. So why bother protecting it?

10% Of US GDP is related to import/export. 50% of that is linked to Canada and Mexico. If US glasses all of the world besides Mexico and Canada they will only loose 5% of their GDP basically. (A bit more complicated then that but you get the idea)

While the US has a large internal market, it doesn't have the autarky you are talking about. The USSR was much bigger yet it wasn't able to compete against the so-called "free world". The US does depend on technology transfers and on raking in global profits via its financial empire and its network of global multinationals. Without that, the US economy would implode.

Regarding technology, the US still has a lead in software and defense largely due to its global reach. Asia is more advanced in electronics and Europe is more advanced in engineering. There is a reason why the US has a deficit in goods trade. And that advance in software and defense technology is at risk too.

Huawei doesn't even need the US market to become the global leader in mobile technology. The Chinese market is enormous and no matter how much pressure Trump tries to impose on other countries, Huawei will likely get into most markets. The US will end up with an inferior technology that is more expensive. Anybody else want to go down that road?

The US prospered in the post-war period because it cooperated with allies. Since Trump has embarked on a course of confrontation, the empire will invariably be damaged. 2 terms are better than 1 to achieve that aim.
Looks like Comrade Donald has his hands full with this Pelosi chick. She is smarter and more experienced than Don and, if she can keep her people in line, she has enough power to fuck him in the ass on a regular basis.

The House voted on Tuesday to overturn President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency on the Mexican border, with just 13 Republicans joining Democrats to try to block his effort to divert funding to a border wall without congressional approval.

“Is your oath of office to Donald Trump or is it to the Constitution of the United States?” Speaker Nancy Pelosi asked her Republican colleagues in a speech on the floor ahead of the vote. “You cannot let him undermine your pledge to the Constitution.” Ms. Pelosi, in a floor speech on Tuesday, listed a number of instances in which House Republicans had objected to Mr. Obama’s use of executive power, vowing that “we are not going to give any president, Democratic or Republican, a blank check to shred the Constitution of the United States.”
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So the new aid package has given Joe Biden some le[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Glad you are so empathetic and self-critical and […]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]