Trump's D-Day 75th anniversary speech - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
First off, I want to say that I'm not a fan of Trump in basically all ways. I'm still astounded that so many Americans seem to think that this nimble minded, imbecile is somehow what our country needs.

That being said, his D-Day speech was absolutely incredible.

It was a 27 minute speech that covered a vast amount of intimate detail involving many names and events that were all part of what took place before, during and after D-Day.

But not only was the content of the speech astounding, but he somehow managed to deliver this entire masterpiece without looking at a single note card.

It leaves me wondering how it is even possible. Seriously. How is it that Trump managed to deliver such a speech? When does he have time in between Twitter posts, to practice and memorize this whole thing?

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem possible.

There must have been an earpiece.

Have you heard the speech? There's a link below so you can watch it. To make it faster to watch, you can click the settings wheel in the lower right corner of the video and speed it up to 1.75.

Listen to this speech and tell me how he did this on his own, from memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSX7X4ynWKs
There was no earpiece that I could see. I'm pretty familiar with in-ear monitors, and he sure didn't have one of those.

You should probably just accept that the guy is smart. He's smart, and thoughtful and precise in his words when he chooses to be, and he did his country proud today.

Those who write him off as an "imbecile" and the truly ignorant ones...
The "note card" (which is now usually in the form of video / PowerPoint slides) is possibly behind the camera. And his speed of speech leaves plenty of time of reading / thinking. Not to mention the video is out-of-his-focus for about half the time.

Not that I am discrediting him, but "him being smart" is only one of the possibilities to me.

Of course, we ourselves should try to achieve this for real, no matter how others do or do not.
Good grief.

If you look to the left and right of him you will see two white panels. These are teleprompters. They are scrolling the speech for him to read. He did well because he read a speech that others wrote for him word for word.

There is nothing wrong with this. Every president does it. (Obama did it very little of it but he was the exception.) Anyway. President Trump would be much better off if he did this every time. He would not go off topic and say needlessly bothersome things. Speech writers have helped on just about every major presidential speech. They are a fixture in the West Wing.

Some very important writers have been presidential speechwriters. Ben Stein, Peggy Noonan, John McLaughlin, William Safire, Pat Buchanan, and Peter Robinson have all been speechwriters. Trumps people, in their usual way, refuse to identify specifically who his speechwriters are but he has some on the official payroll.

So he was not having a special moment. He was delivering a prepared speech that he and others wrote. Even if he didn't write any of it himself he still gets credit for it. He obviously approved and delivered it fairly well.
Drlee wrote:So he was not having a special moment. He was delivering a prepared speech that he and others wrote. Even if he didn't write any of it himself he still gets credit for it. He obviously approved and delivered it fairly well.

Libs are funny.

Barack Obama was the king of the teleprompter, and idiot libs lauded every word that drooled out of his mouth whenever he gave a speech. I even remember one idiot CNN hag once calling an Obama speech "magical and masterful".

And all he did was read.

It just goes to further demonstrate the unbridled hypocrisy of the left. When their side does it it's "magical" but when a conservative does it "He was not having a special moment."

Some folks throw ignorance around like confetti...
BigSteve wrote:Libs are funny.

Barack Obama was the king of the teleprompter, and idiot libs lauded every word that drooled out of his mouth whenever he gave a speech. I even remember one idiot CNN hag once calling an Obama speech "magical and masterful".

And all he did was read.

It just goes to further demonstrate the unbridled hypocrisy of the left. When their side does it it's "magical" but when a conservative does it "He was not having a special moment."

Some folks throw ignorance around like confetti...

Liberal or not, people like to designate a hero to follow. It's just that some in America do this to Obama while some others do this to Trump.
Patrickov wrote:Liberal or not, people like to designate a hero to follow. It's just that some in America do this to Obama while some others do this to Trump.

Oh, no doubt. But as a Trump supporter, I can easily acknowledge that Obama was a masterful orator. He used a teleprompter, but that doesn't dissuade my opinion.

Trump uses one and delivers a magnificent speech and it's because his memory is foggy and he tweets too much.

I swear to God, if Donald Trump walked on water the idiot left would question whether or not he could swim...
BigSteve wrote:There was no earpiece that I could see. I'm pretty familiar with in-ear monitors, and he sure didn't have one of those.

You should probably just accept that the guy is smart. He's smart, and thoughtful and precise in his words when he chooses to be, and he did his country proud today.

Those who write him off as an "imbecile" and the truly ignorant ones...

Any hope that Donald once had of being viewed as an intelligent guy has simply flown out the window. He has said far too many things that are not true....regardless if he said those things on purpose or from ignorance.

You don't get to be wrong that many times and still be a smart guy.

I've seen Donald speak many times. I keep waiting for him to say something intelligent; you know, like something that proves he actually has some intellectual depth beyond your typical surface-thinker.

Here's Donald's brand of intelligence: We need to stop the criminals. When the criminals come, they break the law and bad things happen. We need to stop the bad things from happening because it's bad for us, all of us and our country. Believe me, I know more about bad things than probably anybody.

That's about as deep that Donald gets on any subject whatsoever.

So please, spare me the bullshit about him being a smart guy.

Drlee wrote:Good grief.

If you look to the left and right of him you will see two white panels. These are teleprompters. They are scrolling the speech for him to read. He did well because he read a speech that others wrote for him word for word.

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't notice the panels and even if I did I wouldn't have known what they're for.

I did a lot of speeches when I was in college. One does not memorize a speech like that and just roll it off the top of your head....especially a knucklehead like Donald. He looked brilliant. I knew something was wrong.

A memory palace would be required to memorize such a speech, but Donald doesn't have the time to do this.
Gravy wrote:So please, spare me the bullshit about him being a smart guy.

Well, at least he spared us the second coming of Clinton.

Think about it, how fucking stupid is she that she lost to a reality television star??

:lol: :lol:
Think about it, how fucking stupid is she that she lost to a reality television star??

Think about the 17 other republican candidates who lost to a reality TV star.

Trump one for two reasons. Masterful Gerrymandering and the people who voted for him. Hillary has no personal responsibility for Trumps win. Millions of more people voted for her than for him.

If you are looking for why Trump is president it is because we do not have the concept of one-person-one-vote in the US. We have people whose votes count as much as 20 times more than other people's votes.
Drlee wrote:Think about the 17 other republican candidates who lost to a reality TV star.

Trump one for two reasons.

I really don't think you have any right to call anyone stupid...

If you are looking for why Trump is president it is because we do not have the concept of one-person-one-vote in the US. We have people whose votes count as much as 20 times more than other people's votes.

Don't like the system? Change it. But whining about it only makes you look pathetic...
@BigSteve

I am in favor of the electoral college and I think it's a good idea and necessary. It allows states with lower population to still have a voice. But I do think the electoral college needs reform and is not working as intended. For example, there are state laws that FORCE electors to vote a certain way. In my view, part of the reason why electoral college was put in place as a check against the possibility of somebody like Trump getting elected as President.

Electors chosen should have a Master's degree in American history, World history or public policy and should be anonymous and remain secret to where nobody knows who they are. State laws should not be allowed that would FORCE electors to vote a certain way. However, the popular vote should come into consideration with the electors though other factors should also be considered. Given that they would not be FORCED to vote a certain way by state law and nobody know who they are, this would enable the electoral college to act as a check against demagogues who whip up the people by appealing to their fears and prejudices to get elected and establish a dictatorship.

Part of the reason why the founding fathers put the electoral college in place was not just merely to assure that states with lower population also have a voice but as a check against a future possible demagogue who would whip up people to support them based on appealing to fears and prejudices rather than who was best qualified to be President. They recognized the danger such demagogues would pose to our republic and thus was one of the reasons why the electoral college was put in place. The problem came when state laws were enacted to FORCE electors to vote a certain way. Why have an electoral college if state law would FORCE them to vote a certain way anyway and if they can't be anonymous?
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 07 Jun 2019 19:40, edited 2 times in total.
I really don't think you have any right to call anyone stupid...

Who did I call stupid? There were many I could easily call stupid but who did I call stupid? :roll:

Don't like the system? Change it. But whining about it only makes you look pathetic...

Whining? Who is whining? I am a republican and the inequities in the vote favor my party. My own vote counts much more than any vote in California. Why would I mind that?

If you want to hear me whine let me talk about how the true conservatives lost control of my party and turned it over to a bunch of anti-intellectual borderline fascists masquerading under the conservative label.

BigSteve wrote:Don't like the system? Change it. But whining about it only makes you look pathetic...

It's not whining. It's called explaining.

Steve, you represent everything that's wrong with Trump supporters.

Here's another nugget of brilliance that came from the guy you voted for today:

"NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago. They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part)," Trump tweeted."

Yeah....because everybody knows that the Moon is a part of Mars. Or did he mean something else? What exactly DID he mean?? Does this guy actually think that the Moon is somehow orbiting Mars or something?
Drlee wrote:
So he was not having a special moment. He was delivering a prepared speech that he and others wrote. Even if he didn't write any of it himself he still gets credit for it. He obviously approved and delivered it fairly well.

He could cure cancer and you wouldn't call it a special moment. At least he doesn't deliver plagiarized speeches.
Gravy wrote:It's not whining. It's called explaining.

Steve, you represent everything that's wrong with Trump supporters.

Yes, please explain to me something I learned all about in school 40 years ago...

Here's another nugget of brilliance that came from the guy you voted for today:

"NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago. They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part)," Trump tweeted."

Yeah....because everybody knows that the Moon is a part of Mars. Or did he mean something else? What exactly DID he mean?? Does this guy actually think that the Moon is somehow orbiting Mars or something?

I have no idea, as I didn't hear the quote. Perhaps he did mean something else...
Some threw open the gates of Nazi concentration camps to liberate Jews.

That sounds like a filthy Jewish supremacist lie. Roosevelt's unconditional surrender demand consigned hundreds of thousands if not millions of Jews, along with millions if not tens of millions of non Jews to certain death, those Jews that did mange to survive were left to the capricious mercy of the Communist genocider Joseph Stalin. Was there even one majority Jewish concentration camp that was liberated by the Western allies?

American exceptionalism and Jewish Zionist supremacism have become inextricably combined. Hence the need to create the myth of the Jews as the primary victims of the Nazis when they were only a fraction of the hundreds of millions of who suffered under Nazi tyranny. And the Americans as their great liberators. If the Americans had joined the war in September 1939, then the whole Nazi empire could have been stopped before it had hardly got started. Certainly France and the low countries would not have fallen.
He could cure cancer and you wouldn't call it a special moment.

No sport. His job is to go to the D-Day remembrance and deliver the sentiments of our nation. It was a special moment. If you look behind him you will see what the moment was about. All of those very old heroes who faced unspeakable horror on that beach are what is special on this day. Not Donald. His speech was written to honor them. Not him. Was it a blockbuster speech that will be written into the history books? Of course not. It was just a decent, serviceable and appropriate speech that accomplished his purpose.

But your comment points out a serious problem with Trump supporters. They are so hungry for him to just get through something without screwing the pooch that any noncontroversial outcome is seen as brilliant. Did he do that here? Well sort of. The speech was fine. Calling members of congress names and politicizing the trip with the graves of our fallen soldiers as a backdrop was a disaster. Since you have ignored that I will tell you how he could have made the trip a win. When asked about political stuff with the cemetery as a backdrop he should have sternly said to the interviewer, "This is not the time nor the place for partisan politics. Speaker Pelosi, myself and the rest of the American delegation are here to honor our brave service men who fought and died here." Now THAT would have gotten my strongest praise. And that is precisely what GWB and Reagan and Ford and Nixon and Clinton and Obama, would have done.

But what did Pelosi do when, with the same cemetery in the background she was asked about the president? She said, "With all due respect to your question, I am not here to talk about impeachment". Now which of the two made the right decision? You tell me. Trump who used the occasion of the remembrance of the death of thousands of Americans to fire political shots at his opponents or Pelosi who reminded the reporter what she was there to do? I think the answer is obvious.

At least he doesn't deliver plagiarized speeches.

Doesn't he? Well his wife certainly does.
BigSteve wrote:Yes, please explain to me something I learned all about in school 40 years ago...

If you learned it 40 years ago in school, you can now acknowledge your own ignorance when you said Hillary is stupid for losing to a reality television star when in fact she actually won the votes of the majority of Americans.

Gravy wrote:Here's another nugget of brilliance that came from the guy you voted for today:

BigSteve wrote:I have no idea, as I didn't hear the quote. Perhaps he did mean something else...

He did, but in the process has managed to make himself look like an idiot once again. He's actually really good at making himself look stupid.

You don't remember he was selling presidential tr[…]

He is even less coherent than Alex Jones. My gu[…]

The safe zones are not safe. Misusing humanitarian[…]

The photo in the article showing tunnels supposed[…]