Cousin to chaos - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
It occurs to me this isn't just a chaotic situation, this is like one of those old fashioned chase sequences in the movies where everyone is going every which way in ways impossible in real life.

Perhaps unfortunately, this is real life, and I've got too many ways things are crazy. The possible variations you can get from a situation depends on the starting conditions.

Chess starts with 32 open squares, Go starts with close to 400. "The estimated number of possible board configuration is 10¹²º in chess which is astronomical but Go has around 10¹⁷⁴. It may not seem a lot more than chess's 10¹²º but it is actually 1 million trillion trillion trillion trillion more configurations than chess!"

Point is.. we have Corvid 19, election interference from other countries, corrupt politics (which is corrupting voting, mostly in Republican controlled states), and more.

The Olympics may be cancelled. If the CDC slams the hammer down, that is also going to interfere with the mechanics of the election. No campaign rallies, no door to door volunteer campaigning. Hell, we just might need to print a lot more absentee ballots.

That would set off a recession.

If we have to quarrantine a major city, we don't have a plan to feed them.

To be blunt, I'm old, screw the politics, I don't want to get taken out by a virus because Trump is a corrupt buffoon.

Charleston is flooded, and the mayor is wishing the Dems were getting serious about climate change.

IOW, we have more going on than we can handle. Potentially, a lot more.

Here's hoping we get lucky, because smart we ain't.
By SolarCross
I would not worry overmuch about coronavirus. Sure it is highly infectious and potentially fatal, but it is just one of a million different ways you could die in the next few weeks. Whatever happens you are going to die eventually and every day that passes brings you closer to it. On balance death is probably a mercy anyway. I certainly look forward to not having to do stuff anymore.

Death is the ultimate freedom that not even the commies can steal from you.
By Wulfschilde
I think Covid is overblown but no one will be getting that message from the media. They love a good crisis, especially if it might make Trump look bad. So people will only hear the absolute worst things.

I think this will all be over in a month.
By late
Point is, we have a lot of pigeons that could come home to roost.

It's not just Corvid 19, it's Corvid 19 interacting with other problems we have.
By Drlee
@Wulfschilde I think Covid is overblown but no one will be getting that message from the media. They love a good crisis, especially if it might make Trump look bad. So people will only hear the absolute worst things.

Go to the library and look at the Chinese newspapers from the 27th of January. Its now a month later. How is the supposed fear mongering by the press working out?

This is a really bad bug. Really really bad. Early research does not point to its getting better in the summer. It is not the flu. In the US essentially nobody is in charge of it.
Wulfschilde wrote:I think Covid is overblown but no one will be getting that message from the media. They love a good crisis, especially if it might make Trump look bad. So people will only hear the absolute worst things.

Even if it is true, contacting it is nothing to be played with. Stay alert and do the necessary precautions, otherwise we risk being tools of whoever we don't support, be it the Government or the Opposition.
SolarCross wrote:I would not worry overmuch about coronavirus. Sure it is highly infectious and potentially fatal, but it is just one of a million different ways you could die in the next few weeks. Whatever happens you are going to die eventually and every day that passes brings you closer to it. On balance death is probably a mercy anyway. I certainly look forward to not having to do stuff anymore.

Death is the ultimate freedom that not even the commies can steal from you.

We're working on this unfortunate oversight, Comrade Cross. Our Commissar of Automation Services even now is finalizing plans to upload the conscious minds of reactionaries into modules that can be be used to drive tractors and operate machinery. It looks to be much cheaper than AI's. But we are not cruel. You will get a year off your 10000 subjective-year sentence for every task increment you accomplish!
By SolarCross
quetzalcoatl wrote:We're working on this unfortunate oversight, Comrade Cross. Our Commissar of Automation Services even now is finalizing plans to upload the conscious minds of reactionaries into modules that can be be used to drive tractors and operate machinery. It looks to be much cheaper than AI's. But we are not cruel. You will get a year off your 10000 subjective-year sentence for every task increment you accomplish!

I think there were some commies that did exactly that in one of Ken MacLeod's novels, iirc The Stone Road* or something like that, one of the Star Fraction novels anyway. I think at least part of the appeal of communism is exactly it is an ideological means to bring back slavery. Christianity was the ideological means for banning slavery, so it makes sense that an anti-christian ideology would be needed to bring it back. I think in the end it is redundant though now, because almost certainly AIs will be cheaper, a lot cheaper. I think the chances are that any kind of slavery of humans, even the sophisticated type proposed by Ken MacLeod will not be more economical than AIs or even paying a wage to a human. So the only reason for bringing back slavery would exactly just to be cruel because it does not even make sense for a miser.

* The Stone Canal
By quetzalcoatl
SolarCross wrote:I think there were some commies that did exactly that in one of Ken MacLeod's novels, iirc The Stone Road* or something like that, one of the Star Fraction novels anyway. I think at least part of the appeal of communism is exactly it is an ideological means to bring back slavery. Christianity was the ideological means for banning slavery, so it makes sense that an anti-christian ideology would be needed to bring it back. I think in the end it is redundant though now, because almost certainly AIs will be cheaper, a lot cheaper. I think the chances are that any kind of slavery of humans, even the sophisticated type proposed by Ken MacLeod will not be more economical than AIs or even paying a wage to a human. So the only reason for bringing back slavery would exactly just to be cruel because it does not even make sense for a miser.

* The Stone Canal

Ken McCleod is great.

The link and quote has been posted. As well as l[…]

Nobody is trying to distract from the humanitarian[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Again: nope. Putin in Feb 2022 only decided ... […]

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]