Kill the trade war - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
"As the number of cases continue to skyrocket in America, governors and medical professionals are sounding the alarm on shortages of medical supplies and equipment.

These masks and other essential protective medical gear are largely produced in China...We need a lot of these products—and we need them fast.

In a small act of relief, the Trump administration recently approved tariff exemptions for select medical products...Meanwhile, there are other crucial products that are still tariffed.

The trade war has already cost American businesses $46 billion and sent the U.S. manufacturing sector into a tailspin. Pennsylvania lost 8,100 manufacturing jobs..."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/04/04/trade_war_damage_worsened_by_global_health_pandemic__142857.html
By Rancid
SolarCross wrote:https://twitter.com/TruthAbtChina/status/1246482013147869193

Hopefully hose ventilators they sent to NY work. :eek: (see Trump sabotage thread)
By Patrickov
Facemask (and any other protection ware) is a strategic product that simply should not be outsourced in the first place.

I understand how it can be bad to some people, but the Trade War has exposed that China is still weak under its appearance to be strong. This is a massive encouragement to all East Asian people who love freedom and oppose Chinese oppression, so it must continue.

The OP himself admitted elsewhere that China is an oppressor. We need a solution that works and Trade War is partially one of that. Give another one if it has to be scrapped.
By late
Patrickov wrote:
The OP himself admitted elsewhere that China is an oppressor. We need a solution that works and Trade War is partially one of that. Give another one if it has to be scrapped.

I was using that language to make a point. The the poster was trying to have it both ways.

Trade wars are for idiots.

Particularly now, when we are in a severe crisis.

The only option here is to do a better job at managing trade, at least among the sane it is.
late wrote:I was using that language to make a point. The the poster was trying to have it both ways.

The only option here is to do a better job at managing trade, at least among the sane it is.

You would support a trade war if Trump loved Chinese products.

It is hard to take you seriously. Anti-Trumpists are single issue voters. You people have barely a political position other than being anti-Trump.
By SolarCross
Trade wars are better than hot wars. You can't be friends with everyone. Nixon held out the olive branch to the commies there and it was worth a try. 50 years on though I think we do not see the CPC have improved at all. They are just using us to grow in power but they are not any more friendly to us, they may even be more hostile than before. They did not play nice when it came to renewing the lease on Hong Kong for example.. and now this. So.. we will have to choose a side western liberal democracy or the totalitarianism of the CPC.
By late
Istanbuller wrote:
You would support a trade war if Trump loved Chinese products.

It is hard to take you seriously. Anti-Trumpists are single issue voters. You people have barely a political position other than being anti-Trump.

The Modern world is a result of international trade. Which started a few hundred years ago in the Renaissance.

Nobody in my country has supported a trade war in a hundred years. The last one played a role in starting WW2.

There are choices that are sane, and choices that are crazy. You don't need to guess which one this is.
By SolarCross
late wrote:The Modern world is a result of international trade. Which started a few hundred years ago in the Renaissance.

Nobody in my country has supported a trade war in a hundred years. The last one played a role in starting WW2.

There are choices that are sane, and choices that are crazy. You don't need to guess which one this is.

International trade is far older than that lol. Read some history, will you?
By late
SolarCross wrote:
International trade is far older than that lol. Read some history, will you?

The Modern era evolved out of capitalism, which evolved in Renaissance Italy, as a way to manage the risks of international trade.

https://www.amazon.com/Civilization-Capitalism-15th-18th-Century-Set/dp/B001LNQ1TY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=23LSNBAD32C0L&dchild=1&keywords=braudel+civilization+and+capitalism&qid=1586091768&sprefix=brsudel%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-1
People have been trading internationally, with external tribes or nations, since the earliest days of trade. If you looking for the origins of international trade you need to start looking at ancient Sumeria 6000 years ago and work backwards in time from there.
By late
SolarCross wrote:
People have been trading internationally, with external tribes or nations, since the earliest days of trade. If you looking for the origins of international trade you need to start looking at ancient Sumeria 6000 years ago and work backwards.

The Renaissance came out of sophisticated financial instruments developed to manage risk. That made a huge increase in trade practical, and the development of market economies across the continent possible.

If you want to stop looking like a fool, read Wheels of Commerce.
By SolarCross
late wrote:The Renaissance came out of sophisticated financial instruments developed to manage risk. That made a huge increase in trade practical, and the development of market economies across the continent possible.

If you want to stop looking like a fool, read Wheels of Commerce.

:lol: google Dunning Kruger Effect and learn something about yourself.
By late
SolarCross wrote:
google Dunning Kruger Effect and learn something about yourself.

"Braudel has been considered one of the greatest of the modern historians who have emphasized the role of large-scale socioeconomic factors in the making and writing of history.[1] He can also be considered as one of the precursors of world-systems theory. In his works Braudel shows a revolutionary change of focus in the craft and analysis of history from individuals or events to world systems..." Wiki

That's SI, the standard historical interpretation.

Helps if you know a little something, doesn't it?
By SolarCross
If international trade started at least as early as 6000 years ago then a few centuries ago can not be the beginning. Take a break from being a moron please.
By late
SolarCross wrote:
If international trade started at least as early as 6000 years ago then a few centuries ago can not be the beginning. Take a break from being a moron please.

Having lost, you are trying to troll.

You should be used to losing by now...
By SolarCross
late wrote:Having lost, you are trying to troll.

You should be used to losing by now...

You have the sin of hubris. Unearned hubris at that. What you need is a nice Catholic nun to beat the shit out of you.
By Atlantis
No @late, kill the empire and the trade war will go away.

As long as the empire uses bullying, bombing, sanctions, extraterritorial law, piracy, extortion, etc., there will be no peace on this Earth. The empire and not the virus is what is destroying us.

The US is now stealing shipments of medical supplies already payed for by Germany or France from airports in Thailand, Kenya and other places. The US is monopolizing resources even if it does not need them now to deprive those who need them most.

The imperial presidency fucks us just like it fucks US states. Now is the time to secede.
By late
Atlantis wrote:
No @late, kill the empire and the trade war will go away.

One crisis at a time.

I have a strict policy about that.

Instead of civil war, why don't we just vote the monster out of office. Any functional adult,
remember?

We have a Progressive movement now, build on it...
late wrote:
I was using that language to make a point. The the poster was trying to have it both ways.

I said that because I can clearly see that someone seems to have a solution better than trade war. While admittedly I see it good enough, I am interested to see what exactly the "better job at managing trade" thing means.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

[quote='ate"]Whatever you're using, I want a […]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]

When the guy is selling old, debunked, Russian pro[…]

There is, or at least used to be, a Royalist Part[…]