Derek Chauvin Trial - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Imagine if he tried to run after the guilty verdict and the cops in the courtroom and outside didn't stop him because he's one of them? And he was able to flee to Mexico because no cops in the country would stop him. And then the United States burned to the ground.
By Saeko
This is so great. Now every racist piece of shit on here who was peddling that bullshit drug overdose conspiracy theory can stfu, eat shit, get bent finally, fuck.

EDIT: Deal with the fact that your brains are small.
By wat0n
Ah, after reading the Minnesota Statute I found this about second degree murder:

Minnesota Statute wrote:§Subd. 2.Unintentional murders. Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting; or

Normally, a second degree murder refers to intentional homicide, but it seems Chauvin was charged for this one. So I take the above back, it's not that surprising the verdict came back as guilty for this as well.
wat0n wrote:Ah, after reading the Minnesota Statute I found this about second degree murder:

Normally, a second degree murder refers to intentional homicide, but it seems Chauvin was charged for this one. So I take the above back, it's not that surprising the verdict came back as guilty for this as well.

The key to that is "while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense". 3rd degree is doing the same as the 2nd degree but while not committing a felony offense. So was the knee a felony offense. I didn't think it would be, but what do I know i'm no lawyer.
3rd degree murder: "Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years."

Clearly guilty of that.
I don't believe the existing laws were well-suited to apply to a situation like this.

There were too many extenuating circumstances, and it wasn't really such a black & white thing.

This is going to bring up the question of exactly what are police supposed to do to restrain a suspect who is stronger than them, acting erratically, and resisting.

The knee to the neck isn't really that extremely unusual in that sort of situation, and would not have led to death if there were not underlying medical conditions going on.
By wat0n
Unthinking Majority wrote:The key to that is "while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense". 3rd degree is doing the same as the 2nd degree but while not committing a felony offense. So was the knee a felony offense. I didn't think it would be, but what do I know i'm no lawyer.

Good question. I'd say that since Chauvin didn't follow his employer's policies, yes it was. It was not a legitimate use of force.
wat0n wrote:Good question. I'd say that since Chauvin didn't follow his employer's policies, yes it was. It was not a legitimate use of force.

Policy is very, very different than law. Going against policy isn't a felony.
Does anyone else not find it highly unusual and a bit inappropriate for the POTUS and VP to be praising a verdict in a court case? Does that mean if the jury, which included 4 black people, voted non-guilty then justice wasn't served?

Did Biden and Harris sit and witness all of the courtroom testimony to make such an opinion?
NBC interviewed a 31 year old black woman protesting before the verdict hoping for a guilty verdict in front of the MN courthouse was asked if she has been able to watch any of the trial and she said no she hasn't been able to watch any of it because it's too traumatizing and said that she hasn't watched the footage of the murder either because it's too traumatizing and because we shouldn't "normalizing" these incidents. So she has an opinion but she hasn't even seen any of the evidence???

People are so brainwashed with mob mentality, both left and right. The unthinking majority.
Unthinking Majority wrote:NBC interviewed a 31 year old black woman protesting before the verdict hoping for a guilty verdict in front of the MN courthouse was asked if she has been able to watch any of the trial and she said no she hasn't been able to watch any of it because it's too traumatizing and said that she hasn't watched the footage of the murder either because it's too traumatizing and because we shouldn't "normalizing" these incidents. So she has an opinion but she hasn't even seen any of the evidence???

People are so brainwashed with mob mentality, both left and right. The unthinking majority.

Most people form their opinions about pretty much everything without examining any evidence. They just go with their "gut feeling". That doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong, of course. She turned out to be right, in this case. But humans are rationalising animals rather than rational animals.
By wat0n
Unthinking Majority wrote:Policy is very, very different than law. Going against policy isn't a felony.

It can be if we're dealing with law enforcement, since use of force is part of that kind of job.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Does anyone else not find it highly unusual and a bit inappropriate for the POTUS and VP to be praising a verdict in a court case? Does that mean if the jury, which included 4 black people, voted non-guilty then justice wasn't served?

Did Biden and Harris sit and witness all of the courtroom testimony to make such an opinion?

No. They're expressing what the majority of people think: it's a good thing that a cop was held accountable for an unjustified murder. Hopefully this becomes the norm and not the exception.

Chauvin is a murderer. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out that putting your full body weight on someone's neck for 9 minutes will kill them. The entire world saw it, I don't know why this is so hard for you wrap your head around.
By MadMonk
Unthinking Majority wrote:Does anyone else not find it highly unusual and a bit inappropriate for the POTUS and VP to be praising a verdict in a court case? Does that mean if the jury, which included 4 black people, voted non-guilty then justice wasn't served?

Sure, there was outside influence on the justice system in this case. High-profile cases will always have this problem and Chauvin was convicted before the trial started in the eyes of the public. Politicians want to be on the right side of history, desperately chasing the approval of the public.

That being said, fuck Chauvin. If he was drowning I would throw him a kitchen sink attached to his balls.

Chauvin has become the sacrificial lamb even for his fellow officers, where it was really police brutality on trial. Unfair that he had to shoulder all of it himself but again, fuck Chauvin anyway. :)
It turns out that kneeling on someone's neck for 9 minutes in broad daylight is such an obvious example of police murder that even the Chief of Police testified against him. Had there been even the tiniest, realistic excuse they would have stood behind him. But claiming Floyd was walking around with a lethal dose of fentanyl in his system or that the fumes from a nearby car tailpipe were too flimsy for everyone except the biggest racists. They probably didn't even expect it to work, it's just a narrative for bootlickers so they can continue to justify their love of police brutality against non-whites.
By colliric
Special Olympian is correct, and I agree with him.

I don't believe he will get the maximum sentence though, and he will try to appeal it next.
SpecialOlympian wrote:No. They're expressing what the majority of people think: it's a good thing that a cop was held accountable for an unjustified murder. Hopefully this becomes the norm and not the exception.

Chauvin is a murderer. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out that putting your full body weight on someone's neck for 9 minutes will kill them. The entire world saw it, I don't know why this is so hard for you wrap your head around.

Oh I 100% agree he's guilty and is a murderer, that has nothing to do with my point, I'm just saying that a POTUS and VP coming out and saying so boldly their opinion on a court verdict in a homicide is extremely unusual if not unprecedented. I can't think of any other example from at least the last 20 years off the top of my head. I can't personally think of any other example ever, besides maybe a SCOTUS decision, like Gore/Bush in 2000, but that case directly affected the presidency itself.

They can show their support of the process, and urge for more police reform around the country etc, but it's just weird for a POTUS to publicly make an opinion on whether a specific verdict is right/wrong. Anyways, whatevs.
MadMonk wrote:Sure, there was outside influence on the justice system in this case. High-profile cases will always have this problem and Chauvin was convicted before the trial started in the eyes of the public. Politicians want to be on the right side of history, desperately chasing the approval of the public.

That being said, fuck Chauvin. If he was drowning I would throw him a kitchen sink attached to his balls.

Chauvin has become the sacrificial lamb even for his fellow officers, where it was really police brutality on trial. Unfair that he had to shoulder all of it himself but again, fuck Chauvin anyway. :)

I also can't stand Chauvin and he got what he deserved. But I also think he deserves justice. I don't think the verdict should be swayed by public opinion. I don't think people should be made examples of in the court. At least in this case justice prevailed and the jury seemed to make the right call, and hopefully this gives more cops pause before they try this stuff.

The system still has a long ways to go though. More of these things will happen. Power corrupts.
SpecialOlympian wrote:It turns out that kneeling on someone's neck for 9 minutes in broad daylight is such an obvious example of police murder that even the Chief of Police testified against him. Had there been even the tiniest, realistic excuse they would have stood behind him. But claiming Floyd was walking around with a lethal dose of fentanyl in his system or that the fumes from a nearby car tailpipe were too flimsy for everyone except the biggest racists. They probably didn't even expect it to work, it's just a narrative for bootlickers so they can continue to justify their love of police brutality against non-whites.

The unfortunate reality is that had this not been a high-profile case, and the Chief of Police not been under such public scrutiny, he likely would have defended Chauvin. That's what the brotherhood of the Thin Blue Line does. Deny, deny, deny. THIS is what needs to change. Destroy the brotherhood, make everyone accountable, even the Chief. Where are you, mayors of America?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

[quote='ate"]Whatever you're using, I want a […]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]

When the guy is selling old, debunked, Russian pro[…]

There is, or at least used to be, a Royalist Part[…]