SHOCKING: Trump Campaign Bilked Hundreds of Millions From Small Donors Topic Discussion Thread - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
From the NYT. I suggest clicking through and reading it there because it has some images that won't translate well to a copy/paste. I have copied some of the more interesting parts below after the intro.

How Trump Steered Supporters Into Unwitting Donations

Stacy Blatt was in hospice care last September listening to Rush Limbaugh’s dire warnings about how badly Donald J. Trump’s campaign needed money when he went online and chipped in everything he could: $500.

It was a big sum for a 63-year-old battling cancer and living in Kansas City on less than $1,000 per month. But that single contribution — federal records show it was his first ever — quickly multiplied. Another $500 was withdrawn the next day, then $500 the next week and every week through mid-October, without his knowledge — until Mr. Blatt’s bank account had been depleted and frozen. When his utility and rent payments bounced, he called his brother, Russell, for help.

What the Blatts soon discovered was $3,000 in withdrawals by the Trump campaign in less than 30 days. They called their bank and said they thought they were victims of fraud.

“It felt,” Russell said, “like it was a scam.”

[...]

Unlike ActBlue, which is a nonprofit, WinRed is a for-profit company. It makes its money by taking 30 cents of every donation, plus 3.8 percent of the amount given. WinRed was paid more than $118 million from federal committees the last election cycle; even after paying credit card fees and expenses like payroll and rent, the profits are believed to be significant.

[...]

There is another reason Mr. Trump’s refund rates were so high: His campaign accepted millions of dollars above the legal cap, a problem exacerbated by recurring donations. A pianist in New York, for instance, contributed more than 100 times in the months leading up to Election Day, going far past the legal limit of $2,800. She was refunded $87,716.50 — three weeks after Election Day.

[...]

Several bank representatives who fielded fraud claims directly from consumers estimated that WinRed cases, at their peak, represented as much as 1 to 3 percent of their workload. An executive for one of the nation’s larger credit-card issuers confirmed that WinRed at its height accounted for a similar percentage of its formal disputes.

That figure may seem small at first glance, but financial experts said it was a shockingly large percentage, considering that political donations represent a tiny fraction of the overall United States economy.

[...]

While every large-scale campaign winds up accepting and returning some donations above the legal limit, including Mr. Biden’s, the Trump situation stands out. Records show that Mr. Biden’s campaign committee issued roughly $47,000 in refunds larger than $5,000 after Election Day; Mr. Trump’s campaign issued more than $7 million.

Trump officials attributed the excessive donations to enthusiastic supporters and said the surge in postelection complaints was a result of losing the election, not of the recurring donation tactics.

[...]

But for some Trump supporters like Ron Wilson, WinRed is a scam artist. Mr. Wilson, an 87-year-old retiree in Illinois, made a series of small contributions last fall that he thought would add up to about $200; by December, federal records show, WinRed and Mr. Trump’s committees had withdrawn more than 70 separate donations from Mr. Wilson worth roughly $2,300.

“Predatory!” Mr. Wilson said of WinRed. Like multiple other donors interviewed, though, he held Mr. Trump himself blameless, telling The Times, “I’m 100 percent loyal to Donald Trump.”

[...]

Now WinRed is exporting the tools it pioneered during the Trump re-election bid across the Republican Party, presaging a new normal for G.O.P. campaigns.

Today, the websites of various Republican Party committees and top congressional Republicans, including Representative Kevin McCarthy, the House minority leader, and Senator Mitch McConnell, the Senate minority leader, include prechecked yellow boxes for multiple or recurring donations.

It's pretty cool how American conservative thought is dead and its adherents are morons who will gladly be bilked every step of the way. Going forward this will be the new normal for GOP campaigns: sucker people into making recurring donations that may or may not have disastrous consequences because refunding the charge later is basically an interest free loan. Then, if you're popular enough, you can start a PAC where 60% of donations pay off your debt.

Lol it's grifters from top to bottom. Although I wonder if this will continue to the next election cycle. Payment processing is a volume business, and if one tiny player is causing an outsized amount of disputes then WinRed could just be dropped by the major companies.
SpecialOlympian wrote:From the NYT. I suggest clicking through and reading it there because it has some images that won't translate well to a copy/paste. I have copied some of the more interesting parts below after the intro.

How Trump Steered Supporters Into Unwitting Donations

Wow, what an article. Why do Americans tolerate such a corruption system? I don't blame Trump for milking his idiots dry, but to take money out of peoples accounts without their knowledge in the UK is illegal and can get you sent to prison for fraud.

I would like to hope this is an eye opener for Republican donors. Trump (WinRed) has basically pick pocketed your wallet and taken all you cash, put it back and told you the "Mexicans" are not to be trusted. How about not trusting the party that actively steals from you? If they can commit fraud, why not propaganda campaigns? I would like to read what Blackjack, Juilian, Wat0n, Unthinking Majority, Hindsite, Scamp, Annatar or any other PoFo Conservative has to say about this. Go on guys, explain how the brainwashed can justify stealing from your compatriots whilst still blaming the Democrats for everything that is wrong with America right now.
B0ycey wrote:Wow, what an article. Why do Americans tolerate such a corruption system?

Obviously Trump didn't condone this. He loves me, and fights for me. This is just another case of Trump, a tragic hero genius, accidentally surrounding himself with shills and conmen who betrayed MAGA.

B0ycey wrote:I would like to hope this is an eye opener for Republican donors. Trump (WinRed) has basically pick pocketed your wallet and taken all you cash, put it back and told you the "Mexicans" are not to be trusted

Just to be clear, WinRed is the payment processing platform used by GOP candidates. It's the campaigns who send out the emails with the recurring payment option checked and purposely obscured.

WinRed, as a for profit company, doesn't give a shit because they get $0.30 + 3.8% of all donations. Which, lol. A linchpin of the conservative ideological project is skimming $4.10 off of every $100 donation.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Obviously Trump didn't condone this. He loves me, and fights for me. This is just another case of Trump, a tragic hero genius, accidentally surrounding himself with shills and conmen who betrayed MAGA.

Just to be clear, WinRed is the payment processing platform used by GOP candidates. It's the campaigns who send out the emails with the recurring payment option checked and purposely obscured.

WinRed, as a for profit company, doesn't give a shit because they get $0.30 + 3.8% of all donations. Which, lol. A linchpin of the conservative ideological project is skimming $4.10 off of every $100 donation.

So the point is that it's a MAGA and not a WinRed scam?
SpecialOlympian wrote:Obviously Trump didn't condone this. He loves me, and fights for me. This is just another case of Trump, a tragic hero genius, accidentally surrounding himself with shills and conmen who betrayed MAGA.

Well I would say he did condone this actually. He might not have vocally said it, but if the tick box was obscure and more importantly it was an opt out system meaning you automatically have signed up to something, I would say that was even is goal. Anyone who thinks this wasn't a designed scam perhaps hasn't been watching the whole ponzi episode of Donald making shit up for more donations. We all know Donald is only wealthy by the property he owns rather than in any liquid assets. He needs this money to pay off his election loss and all his pissing loans.

Oh yes. The middle men. They have to be paid. Nothing more American than making profit from a donation. I would laugh. But America has literally taken all the worse aspects of Capitalism and put them on turbo charge at the moment. It doesn't mean they never worked with Trump to fleece his rubes for all their worth though. If both are getting paid, we can see why this problem is occuring. :hmm:
How funny that Republicans are happy to be cheated out of their hard earned money and yet they get so angry at Asians for supposedly "stealing our jobs"! How stupid can they be? If Trump is so rich why is be begging for money from donors? Hmmm, does this make sense? :hmm:

To me it's just hogwash. I do not donate to presidential campaigns even if I earned a six-digit income each year.
I saw many news about how ratings of anti-Trump media dumped after his departure. NYT is so desperate for ratings now so it started to fabricate Trump stories again. Here is the real question. Will it be the same now as during Trump's presiency?

Trump boosted traditional media between 2015 and 2020. It was a unique period which traditional media enjoyed ratings in middle of a long period of existence crisis. I don't think traditional media will see something like this again. Journalists think that they won the fight but they will soon realize that they actually ousted themselves.
Beren wrote:So the point is that it's a MAGA and not a WinRed scam?

It's all scams. Scams within scams, fractal scams wherein smaller scams make up larger ones from the micro to the macro level. Conservatism has no intellectual backing at this point and itself is a scam.
B0ycey wrote:Well I would say he did condone this actually.

Yeah I was being sarcastic, but that's how MAGA morons think. Just look at the guy I quoted who got ripped off by the campaign and said "I'm still 100% loyal to Trump he probably just didn't know this was going on."
B0ycey wrote:Wow, what an article. Why do Americans tolerate such a corruption system? I don't blame Trump for milking his idiots dry, but to take money out of peoples accounts without their knowledge in the UK is illegal and can get you sent to prison for fraud.

I would like to hope this is an eye opener for Republican donors. Trump (WinRed) has basically pick pocketed your wallet and taken all you cash, put it back and told you the "Mexicans" are not to be trusted. How about not trusting the party that actively steals from you? If they can commit fraud, why not propaganda campaigns? I would like to read what Blackjack, Juilian, Wat0n, Unthinking Majority, Hindsite, Scamp, Annatar or any other PoFo Conservative has to say about this. Go on guys, explain how the brainwashed can justify stealing from your compatriots whilst still blaming the Democrats for everything that is wrong with America right now.

@B0ycey , I can't speak for any of those other guys, but I'm no ''Conservative'' in the American sense-what do they ''conserve''?-nor am I a fan of Donald Trump.

Certainly, the Democrats are almost the purest distillation of all that is wrong in America, but very close in that estimation are most of their enemies also.

Trump is able to do what he does because he's a fish adapted for the ocean he swims in.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

is it you , Moscow Marjorie ? https://exte[…]

This year, Canada spent more paying interest on it[…]

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachment[…]

On the epidemic of truth inversion

Environmental factors and epigenetic expressions […]