America's Overwork Obsession - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
jimjam wrote:America essentially promotes a culture with values that, if followed to a T, will with near certainty drive a person to become mentally ill. I saw this at an early age and said, "Fuck this shit." I then pretended for a couple of decades and dropped out.

I read today that $750,000,000,000 is spent in America on anti anxiety/anti depression treatments/meds.

The one time I visited America, one thing struck me above all else - almost every single advert I saw on TV was for one of two things: dodgy financial products, and anti-depressant medication.

You people are robbing each other, and driving yourselves insane. You're like hamsters spinning around on a fucking wheel....
Potemkin wrote:The one time I visited America, one thing struck me above all else - almost every single advert I saw on TV was for one of two things: dodgy financial products, and anti-depressant medication.

You people are robbing each other, and driving yourselves insane. You're like hamsters spinning around on a fucking wheel....

I had the very same culture shock with adverts when I visited America 8 years ago. I had an unease about the pharmaceutical ads and didn’t know why until I realized back in Australia that no such ads exist.

The dodgey financial advice I experienced more when working at in the U.S in a prison where a TV was on in the sort of cafeteria. Ads selling silver and class lawsuit actions all saying “you may be entitled to compensation”.
Potemkin wrote:The one time I visited America, one thing struck me above all else - almost every single advert I saw on TV was for one of two things: dodgy financial products, and anti-depressant medication.

Too true! I was shocked when I learned that most women carry around pill bottles in their purse. They have aspirin, tylenol, pills for cramps, indigestion, on top of the antidepresants. I never carry pills nor does my mother. I find that horrifying. They collect pills like candy.

I cannot stand those financial commercials. They are so obnoxious and gimmicky.
jimjam wrote:America essentially promotes a culture with values that, if followed to a T, will with near certainty drive a person to become mentally ill. I saw this at an early age and said, "Fuck this shit." I then pretended for a couple of decades and dropped out.

I read today that $750,000,000,000 is spent in America on anti anxiety/anti depression treatments/meds.

Growing up in an American-style suburb, all your neighbors are locked in metal boxes when they glide by you.

This lack of spontaneous interaction ensures that children in USA suburbs grow up socially limited and emotionally damaged. Which makes a lot of money for Big Pharma.

Big Pharma want to give you a needle right at this very moment...

Today, our lives and laws have become an ad for Big Pharm products.

USA! USA! USA!

Rancid wrote:USA! USA! USA!

Our insane schedules and rat-like-routines leave time to type four characters, and copy-paste them.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Wellsy

What kind of dodgey financial advice were you given? Investing in derivatives or something?

More like making pitches to buy good and silver. Buying such things in itself isn’t bad but just because Rosalind capita says so doesn’t mean its worth your while. And they play on fear tactics about the government.
@Wellsy

Well if you want good financial advice, read Benjamin Graham's book "The Intelligent Investor." He was an Englishman who came to America to teach business. He taught Warren Buffet how to invest. "He's a clever fellow" as one Englishman I met in Atlanta once said :lol: .

Yes Chomsky - the Pepsi-Cola professor of Linguis[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

Iran's attack on the Zionist entity, a justified a[…]

No seems to be able to confront what the consequen[…]

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781393888227311712