Covid is just the beginning - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
"A year into the pandemic, many others are joining Meschler at the door — an exodus fueled by burnout, trauma and disillusionment. According to a Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation poll, roughly 3 in 10 health-care workers have weighed leaving their profession. More than half are burned out. And about6 in 10 say stress from the pandemic has harmed their mental health.

It’s not just the danger they’ve endured, they say. Many talked about the betrayal and hypocrisy they feel from the public they have sacrificed so much to save — their clapping and hero-worship one day, then refusal to wear masks and take basic precautions the next...Many traced their disillusionment to how the pandemic exposed and magnified the broken parts of America’s health-care system.

“You look at staffing, preparedness, what the priorities were for many hospitals during the crisis, and it’s clear the industry is driven by profits rather than well-being of patients or health workers,” Meschler said from his home in Louisville, Colo. “It makes you question the whole system.”

Even before the pandemic, America was facing a loomingshortage of doctors and nurses. Additional losses to the medical workforce could spell dire consequences for U.S. health care."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/22/health-workers-covid-quit/
"the industry is driven by profits rather than well-being of patients or health workers"

Always has been. Always will be. And government regulation will only increase the number of people who profit from pain and suffering.
I would be more sympathetic if we were talking about India here.

Covid is the beginning of what exactly? I think we're almost at a point where we just need to start getting on with life (within the US at least). Once the first round of vaccines get out, what else is there to do? We'll all just take yearly jabs, and be done.

Meh, those jobs will be filled if those people quit.

Honestly it's hard to feel bad for these people in my book. I know I sound like a dick, but whatever. The health care workers I know, are not disillusioned with their professions. They are not thinking of quitting, and they don't feel slighted by the general public's willingness to stop wearing masks. They're just getting on, and doing their job.

Further, this whole 6 in 10 say the pandemic has harmed their mental health. I think that's in line with the general public anyway.

What do they want, exactly? Experts in this field are starting to call for ending mask requirements outdoor, are they claiming that's wrong?
We'll all just take yearly jabs, and be done.

Finally! You have embraced your inner Brit. Heh heh heh.... :excited:
Rancid wrote:
Covid is the beginning of what exactly?

It's not easy filling medical professions, why do you think we have so many Docs with weird names?

Your optimism is misplaced. The Boomers will place increasing demands on the health care system, as they age. Health care had a retention problem BEFORE covid, a lot of hospitals were short staffed then. It's about to get a lot worse.

And there is a good chance the rate at which novel diseases show up will increase.
libertasbella wrote:
"the industry is driven by profits rather than well-being of patients or health workers" Always has been.

Always will be.

No, medicine didn't used to be big business.

It isn't in countries with good national health care systems. Doesn't have to be that way here.
late wrote:why do you think we have so many Docs with weird names?

Racist!!

Anyway, then offer more paths to citizenship to those that come here to study medicine and want to stay in the US. Done!

Potemkin wrote:Finally! You have embraced your inner Brit. Heh heh heh.... :excited:

FUCK!
Rancid wrote:
Anyway, then offer more paths to citizenship to those that come here to study medicine and want to stay in the US. Done!

Ouch, you just stepped into some brown, soft and messy.

That won't happen, we could import more doctors. But what about the nurses, problems even worse with them.
late wrote:That won't happen, we could import more doctors. But what about the nurses, problems even worse with them.

Dude, like 50% of nurses in the US are Filipino. Let's just go get some more!
Rancid wrote:
Dude, like 50% of nurses in the US are Filipino. Let's just go get some more!

If you've noticed, people are a but touchy over immigration issues of late.

I don't care if we import nurses, but that's not going to be enough to fix the problem.
late wrote:
If you've noticed, people are a but touchy over immigration issues of late.

I don't care if we import nurses, but that's not going to be enough to fix the problem.

ok
late wrote:...Many traced their disillusionment to how the pandemic exposed and magnified the broken parts of America’s health-care system.

“You look at staffing, preparedness, what the priorities were for many hospitals during the crisis, and it’s clear the industry is driven by profits rather than well-being of patients or health workers,” Meschler said from his home in Louisville, Colo. “It makes you question the whole system.”

Even before the pandemic, America was facing a loomingshortage of doctors and nurses. Additional losses to the medical workforce could spell dire consequences for U.S. health care."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/22/health-workers-covid-quit/

The capitalist system sets up people to not care about one another. And then "greed" and strategic regulations are supposed to make everything sugar-coated and golden brown.

From poison, sugar is supposed to rise up.

That the health care systems is a scam to concentrate income into the rentier class's tiny unwrinkled hands... is a built-in atrocity that pushes consumption and inequality higher.

Eventually, the small people "who know nothing" will kill the rentier class. What other options do they have since the rentier class doesn't listen to them, and practices atrocities on them while putting human survival at risk.

Beggaring millions of people into homelessness and prisons... is what the USA has done really well.

If you want more doctors, you have to look at other models like Cuba.
late wrote:If you've noticed, people are a but touchy over immigration issues of late.

A lot of countries cop students a break by not charging med students ridiculous fees to study. Reduce your costs and more Americans will study. After all well paid jobs are desirable.
Stormsmith wrote:
A lot of countries cop students a break by not charging med students ridiculous fees to study. Reduce your costs and more Americans will study. After all well paid jobs are desirable.

That's a good idea, but we're not set up to dramatically expand med students. We ought to, of course, but it would take time, and I'm pretty sure we won't.

We could get more nurses, but that would require making the job more desirable. We had a serious retention problem with nurses before Covid, now it's worse. They need better pay, and better working conditions. That's going to require us to focus on nursing issues, and I haven't noticed that being even talked about in the corridors of power. Of course, something could be going on behind the scenes, but if there is, I am not aware of it.
late wrote:That's a good idea, but we're not set up to dramatically expand med students. We ought to, of course, but it would take time, and I'm pretty sure we won't.

We could get more nurses, but that would require making the job more desirable. We had a serious retention problem with nurses before Covid, now it's worse. They need better pay, and better working conditions. That's going to require us to focus on nursing issues, and I haven't noticed that being even talked about in the corridors of power. Of course, something could be going on behind the scenes, but if there is, I am not aware of it.

I disagee. Registered nurses, in the main are well paid compared to the it McDonald's contemporaries. When you "import" nurses, odds are high that the taxpayers of that country are footing the education bill which is tacky. Americans are frequently claiming to be the wealthiest country on the globe with an exemplary medical system. If everyone else can manage it, surely you can too.
Always has been. Always will be. And government regulation will only increase the number of people who profit from pain and suffering.

Garbage. I offer as proof.....the rest of the world.

Libertards make me tired.
Stormsmith wrote:I disagee. Registered nurses, in the main are well paid compared to the it McDonald's contemporaries. When you "import" nurses, odds are high that the taxpayers of that country are footing the education bill which is tacky. Americans are frequently claiming to be the wealthiest country on the globe with an exemplary medical system. If everyone else can manage it, surely you can too.

You missed late's point entirely.

What he suggests is that, with our current political leadership, we are not going to improve any social programs, including medicine. "We" are going to let them rot in order to transfer more wealth to the already rich.

Our current "leadership" is 100% corporate profit. Our presidents are competing for speaking fees at giant corporations when their time (as corporate whore president) is over, and they can comfortably collect the legal bribes they "earn" through corporate-friendly policies.

Normal people are kidding themselves (and wasting time) by playing along with the current corrupt leadership, as these corporate-whores continue to strip our societies bare with low-taxes-for-rich, austerity-for-normals, and transfer of income from poor to rich. They really don't care about the harm they do, because they're used to getting away with murder because of commercial media zombiehood on the part of the average person, and the repressive work of intelligence agencies.

People in North America are used to turning a bline eye to their decomposing streets, as their "leaders" continue to build new highways and roads that will never be maintained either.

Likewise with pollution. Corporations pollute more then ever (as do car drivers), but they have happy green-memes in commercial media to live by - instead of actual policies that might cost a corporation a dollar or two.

► Show Spoiler

We've only just begun to die
War state and promises
Austerity and we're on our way
We've only begun

Before the rising sun, we leave
So many miles to drive
Congested roads full of bankrupt proles
And yes, we've just begun

Receive new normals that are new to us
Watching the ads along the way
Best friends are the TV and the Internet