America child labor loophole. - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
@XogGyux

That's true. For me, I didn't always have some of the same advantages of my fellow college students when I was younger, but I enjoyed my time in the Army. I paid a time debt as well. So when others already have Masters degrees as well as some undergraduate degrees and a few certificates, I am currently earning mine (I am earning my Masters degree now). But I would prefer to do it this way rather than take on student loan debt whereas others already have careers and Masters degrees but have student loan debt. Either way you pay somehow, someway. Nothing is free.
XogGyux wrote:If you have read my posts before, it should not come to you as a surprise that I am a strong advocate of higher education and that I would support/encourage anything that would go towards that goal. However, like I said earlier, I think this is mostly a McNothingburger. I am very skeptic that this would in any way depress the interest of youth to pursue further learning. I don't think anyone ever said "sweet gig, im getting $15 at McDonalds, I can now quit school, get mad cash at McDonalds and cruise until retirement" Furthermore, for minors, the hours are very restricted and for Mcdonalds, they simply won't have decent coverage if a substantial part of their workforce are minors.
Like I said prior, I suspect there is more to the story than transpire here.

Also, working as a teenager is by itself an educational experience as some of the people here who did so can attest. If anything it should be a high school assignment to at least get a summer job/internship.
Politics_Observer wrote:@XogGyux

That's true. For me, I didn't always have some of the same advantages of my fellow college students when I was younger, but I enjoyed my time in the Army. I paid a time debt as well. So when others already have Masters degrees as well as some undergraduate degrees and a few certificates, I am currently earning mine (I am earning my Masters degree now). But I would prefer to do it this way rather than take on student loan debt whereas others already have careers and Masters degrees but have student loan debt. Either way you pay somehow, someway. Nothing is free.

I see money as a "certificate" of "work/value". I create/do something of value for which at some point I will later exchange for something else of value that I either need want. As far as I know, this is the only system likely to work for humans in the time being unless we transition into a post-scarcity world and/or somehow become a quasi-eusocial species (unlikely).
I see nothing wrong with having a "time debt" or even a "money debt" if you got the expected value from it. I am certainly quite content with my arrangement, I have ~1.5-2 years' salary worth of debt for my training, but I will have (hopefully) a long and fulfilling career that I expect to have many multiples higher of my initial cost.
Our system is certainly not perfect, far from it. But, in my mind, fixing it is more of constant tweaks and incremental changes rather than revamping the fabric of society.
Puffer Fish wrote:And you have a problem with that?

(Look, I could see there might be some rare extreme cases of overwork, but in those cases it might be prosecuted as child abuse)

Not everything that goes on on a family farm needs to be regulated.

To the contrary, I think it's good, actually.
@XogGyux

XogGyux wrote:I see money as a "certificate" of "work/value". I create/do something of value for which at some point I will later exchange for something else of value that I either need want. As far as I know, this is the only system likely to work for humans in the time being unless we transition into a post-scarcity world and/or somehow become a quasi-eusocial species (unlikely).

I see nothing wrong with having a "time debt" or even a "money debt" if you got the expected value from it. I am certainly quite content with my arrangement, I have ~1.5-2 years' salary worth of debt for my training, but I will have (hopefully) a long and fulfilling career that I expect to have many multiples higher of my initial cost.

Our system is certainly not perfect, far from it. But, in my mind, fixing it is more of constant tweaks and incremental changes rather than revamping the fabric of society.

I agree.
I had a Saturday job at 14 in the U.K. I worked in a cafe making sandwiches. It was fine and it taught me a lot.
Certainly that I did not want to do a job like that for a living.

Lol this is why I know better than to even try to[…]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]