The coming age of ghost towns - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
"FairBluff sits on a coastal plain, one that is increasingly vulnerable to flooding because of the rise in extreme rainfall and severe hurricanes spurred by climate change.

Almost five years ago, Hurricane Matthew flooded downtown Fair Bluff with four feet of water, buckling roads and destroying buildings. Three years ago, Hurricane Florence brought more flooding.

This summer, my colleague Christopher Flavelle traveled to Fair Bluff to see how it was recovering, and the answer is: not well. The high school, the grocery store and other shops never reopened after Matthew. Downtown storefronts sit vacant, with trash strewn about. The only local factory closed, too. The population, about 1,000, fell by half. Al Leonard, a town official, says the town may soon eliminate the police department — as well as his job.

“What started as a physical crisis has become an existential one,” Christopher writes.

Fair Bluff offers a worrisome glimpse into the future. The increasing frequency of extreme weather has left countless towns, in the U.S. and around the world, vulnerable to both physical devastation and economic insolvency.

As the journalist Alexandra Tempus recently wrote for Times Opinion:

We are now at the dawn of America’s Great Climate Migration Era. For now, it is piecemeal, and moves are often temporary. … But permanent relocations, by individuals and eventually whole communities, are increasingly becoming unavoidable."

----

It's only a matter of time before vulnerable cities get abandoned. Houston, Miami, NO, even NYC are all threatened by extreme weather events.

I know what you're thinking. But NYC has pumps running 24/7 to stay dry. If the power goes out for too long, the water will severely damage the cities. It will undermine foundations, damage or destroy infrastructure like the subway. Because NYC is an economic hub, we will try to save it. We might even be able to pull it off, a cost of a trillion or two.

The cost of extreme weather events is rising, what we've been seeing is just a tiny taste of what's coming.

The quote was from a NYT email, but you might be able to see it here:

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.nytimes.com/template/oakv2?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210902&instance_id=39433&nl=the-morning&productCode=NN&regi_id=83759728&segment_id=67884&te=1&uri=nyt%3A%2F%2Fnewsletter%2F090e4ee0-3c35-5bb7-b6c9-0b6b5794e1a4&user_id=d8b76c668d40c76c1bca6d3ffb03e702
It's only a matter of time until much of the US southwest becomes uninhabitable. Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas will be hard hit as water sources dry up and soaring temperatures become deadly for the elderly and medically fragile.
quetzalcoatl wrote:It's only a matter of time until much of the US southwest becomes uninhabitable. Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas will be hard hit as water sources dry up and soaring temperatures become deadly for the elderly and medically fragile.

@quetzalcoatl ;

This is true. These cities were tiny before air conditioning became prevalent, and in a period of decline and regression, might revert to being shadows of their former selves. Reminds me of Dark Ages Old Rome, with cattle milling about in the Forum.

In a period of civilizational decline, roughly 10% of a city's former population usually remains going from previous historical declines.
quetzalcoatl wrote:It's only a matter of time until much of the US southwest becomes uninhabitable. Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas will be hard hit as water sources dry up and soaring temperatures become deadly for the elderly and medically fragile.

Which raises the question. Why do people keep trying to live on these places... Why do they hate cold so fucking much :lol: . I live in FL, I hate it, but my whole family is here. Just walking outside of my temperature-controlled apartment is a chore for me. It is so fucking hot! I enjoyed Montana and Chicago =) Nice weather.
XogGyux wrote:Which raises the question. Why do people keep trying to live on these places... Why do they hate cold so fucking much :lol: . I live in FL, I hate it, but my whole family is here. Just walking outside of my temperature-controlled apartment is a chore for me. It is so fucking hot! I enjoyed Montana and Chicago =) Nice weather.

Chicago weather... Nice? :eh:
wat0n wrote:Maybe, honestly summers are quite humid (but I guess FL is worse) and winter... Jeez.

Well, in FL we have 2 seasons. Summer, and HOT Summer.
And the humidity? You could carve it with a knife.
Stop using ac @XogGyux then you'll acclimatise to the heat and humidity. I used to hate the heat too but after a few months I got used to it and now I dislike the ac.
AFAIK wrote:Stop using ac @XogGyux then you'll acclimatise to the heat and humidity. I used to hate the heat too but after a few months I got used to it and now I dislike the ac.

Heresy, Blasphemy. REPENT SATAN! REPENT!

!!!
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
† † † † † † †
AFAIK wrote:
The last time I visited the UK London was enduring a heat wave. It was the coolest weather I'd experienced in years.

I understand, with nowhere to go, dodging the obvious is all ya got..
A heatwave is when the temp is higher than usual. In the UK an uncomfortable heatwave would be considered chilly by Australians. Sudden changes are dangerous. Sustained conditions are not.
He's a parasite

This is another one: https://www.youtube.com/shor[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 18, Thursday The rise of a canny classroom[…]

Seems like the Left in Western European countri[…]

a good point here, i am sure we all agree on thi[…]