Trudeau looks gone, polls predict a landslide Conservative Victory - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Godstud wrote:
:roll: <sigh>You do not know much about Canadians, apparently. Canadian approval ratings are not comparable to US political ones. Canada has more than 2 parties, and so approval ratings in the the 30s to 40s are nothing new, as you do not need over 50% of the population to vote for you, to get into office.

I'm glad Australia didn't copy your version of the Westminster system, since it's way more complicated than the version adopted in Australia and New Zealand.

It's not your two party system that results in those low numbers, it's that combined with the lack of preferential voting and people not getting to vote for the senate. In Australia you do need an absolute majority to govern effectively due to the preference voting system, the fact the PM needs to retain the full support of his party(or he can be directly turfed), the stage governments are frequently hostile(very rarely does the party in federal government also control a majority of States, Australians tend to vote "one in Federal, the other in State.... It works better that way!"), as well as the fact the Senate may be hostile(controlled by the other party). Minority Governments are extremely rare in Australia as a result and usually viewed as a disastrous situation.
It's Canadian politics, @Igor Antunov, whoever wins isn't a big deal as they have to deal with the opposition and cooperate. Our system is pretty good, and since Canadians are pretty moderate, the extreme ideas really don't fly.

I voted NDP last election. The Liberals still won, but with a minority government, which is about what I expected.

No matter who wins this election, it'll be with a minority government. I do no see any majority government happening.
One day Canadians will realise Australia ditched the UK's version of the upper house in favour of a voted in Senate for a reason. Ruling party must take a majority in both houses, or a balance of power deal in one house and a Majority in the other.

Heck NZ went with no Senate whatsoever. Winner of House of Reps takes all there and direct party voting to stop minority government being the norm.

Although Australians are also very moderate, we get to express that in the State/Territory Governments VS Federal Government dynamic instead. With many Australians opting to vote for different parties at different levels of government. Currently the Labor party controls 3 states and both territories while the Liberals control the other 3 in addition to the Federal government.

Ensures Majority governments at both levels are the normal.
Godstud wrote:It's Canadian politics, @Igor Antunov, whoever wins isn't a big deal as they have to deal with the opposition and cooperate. Our system is pretty good, and since Canadians are pretty moderate, the extreme ideas really don't fly.

I voted NDP last election. The Liberals still won, but with a minority government, which is about what I expected.

No matter who wins this election, it'll be with a minority government. I do no see any majority government happening.

Your vote doesn't matter then. Why are we even discussing Canadian elections. :roll:

I suppose it's interesting in how Quebec swings relative to the rest of America's hat. The fiercely nationalistic country within a country concept has always intrigued me, as somebody that fell prey to the ultimate fate of such polities (Yugoslavia-the definition of layered nationalism within nationalism.)
You're as dumb as ever. Of course votes matter. :roll:

Quebec goes its own way and has nothing to do with USA. Quebec is not it's own country, and never was. The referendums on Quebec sovereignty are done with. It's part of Canada, and always will be.

Pretty dumb things that you're saying here. I thought you only said dumbass shit about vaccinations. Go away. :lol:
Godstud wrote:You're as dumb as ever. Of course votes matter. :roll:

Quebec goes its own way and has nothing to do with USA. Quebec is not it's own country, and never was. The referendums on Quebec sovereignty are done with. It's part of Canada, and always will be.

Pretty dumb things that you're saying here. I thought you only said dumbass shit about vaccinations. Go away. :lol:

:lol:

No.
@Igor Antunov Your education on Canada is sorely lacking. You know even less about Canada, than you do about vaccines and other topics. What you believe, and reality, are two very different things.

You post like a child.
Godstud wrote:@Igor Antunov Your education on Canada is sorely lacking. You know even less about Canada, than you do about vaccines and other topics. What you believe, and reality, are two very different things.

You post like a child.

I spent 2 months in Quebec, I have family there. Quebec is not Canada noob. I preach gospel in all things, you will become a believer in time. Salvation awaits.
@Igor Antunov Wow. You spent 2 months in Quebec so now you know everything about it.
Fuck off!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quebec is part of Canada. The matter is settled.

There are still some bigoted idiots who think differently, but they are a distinct minority. We have the same idiots out West who want to separate from Canada. They, like Quebec, want every advantage, and none of the disadvantages... just like what Quebec separatists wanted.

People often say stupid shit to get what they want.

A map of Canada, for uneducated Australians:

I suppose New South Wales isn't part of Australia, either... :roll:
Godstud wrote:I suppose New South Wales isn't part of Australia, either... :roll:

It's Western Australia here that has an active succession movement:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession ... _Australia

I can understand why, because they feel the Eastern states gang up on them in Federal Parliament.

The state to the far left has an active passionate succession movement, because the population feels somewhat underrepresented in the Federal Parliament, located in the ACT, that small liver-like bit surrounded by Igor's state and slightly above mine.

We have the same problem, except it's the big one to the left on our map, rather than the province to the right as it is on yours.
Last edited by colliric on 04 Sep 2021 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Godstud wrote:@Igor Antunov Wow. You spent 2 months in Quebec so now you know everything about it.
Fuck off!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quebec is part of Canada. The matter is settled.

There are still some bigoted idiots who think differently, but they are a distinct minority. We have the same idiots out West who want to separate from Canada. They, like Quebec, want every advantage, and none of the disadvantages... just like what Quebec separatists wanted.

People often say stupid shit to get what they want.

A map of Canada, for uneducated Australians:

I suppose New South Wales isn't part of Australia, either... :roll:

As of 2020, barely. The meme-demic has highlighted the sheer disconnect between the various state governments and Canberra. It is glaringly obvious that the State premiers both within their respective territories and in terms of inter-state relations hold way more practical power than the Prime Minster. On top of that in terms of international relations Western Australia basically does its own thing with Queensland, Victoria and NSW growing increasingly annoyed by foreign relations business meddling from Canberra.

And when it comes to Quebec yes I' am a treasure trove of knowledge.
Last edited by Igor Antunov on 04 Sep 2021 08:06, edited 2 times in total.
Igor Antunov wrote:As of 2020, barely. The meme-demic has highlighted the sheer disconnect between the various state governments and Canberra.

We all know WA is the one most likely to leave first Igor. The feeling of mutual resentment between Morrison and McGowan isn't helping.

When I lived there, they always talked crap about the "wankers from the east taking all of our mining profits away".
colliric wrote:We all know WA is the one most likely to leave first Igor. The feeling of mutual resentment between Morrison and McGowan isn't helping.

When I lived there, they always talked crap about the "wankers from the east taking all of our mining profits away".

It's a very viable independence movement because without the rest of Australia WA per capita would probably be the richest country on earth, by far. As things stand they get milked dry.
Godstud wrote:@Igor Antunov If you don't want to discuss Canadian politics, you can simply... not post here. Duhhh!!!

But you keep summoning me from my lair.

As for American Hat politics, I suspect Trudeau will win - not that it matters. As you yourself said it doesn't matter which party is in power because minority irrelevant government. It's probably why most of Trudeau policies have been establishment. He's always promised and delivered the opposite. His housing promises vs actual actions is most clownish example. The guy is corporate stooge lol. Now he has the audacity to repeat his 'muh affordable housing' shilling despite being the one who allowed it to inflate on his watch.
As a Torontonian with Torontonian friends, I will give my/our opinions and anger the rest of non-Quebec Canada by not giving them unearned attention, and calling it such rather than 'ignoring/forgetting them'.

Trudeau isnt liked. The Liberal party as an idea still is, but currently they are nothing special.

The NDP and Singh are liked in the GTA and have a moderate popularity spike. If national trends match that, and it can translate into votes is.. pushing it IMO. But its shouldn't be ignored. Bob Rae's Ontario NDP rise to power in the 90s after his Liberal predecessor (Peterson, not related to the professor) became unpopular , and Jack Layton's Orange wave at the Liberal expense due to their leaders, are interesting precedents. I can see them getting a lot of protest & "not-Trudeau" votes.

Otoole is odd. Liberals paint him as Liberal Lite so why not vote Liberal instead? I'd call him Progressive-Conservative, but lacking conservative policy and demeanor. I suspect Conservative unity and vote-conscientiousness will minimize (zero) their seats losses to the PPC, but note votes. My gut feeling is the common talking point for Conervative - what little he gains in the middle, he will loose by less Conservatives thoughout the spectrum showing up.

Green party's older policies have been largely adopted by the NDP and Liberals so they have lost their distinction. That they are having a civil war over a domestic issue in Israel, shows to me that the Green core and identity is gone. Their name recognition will continue to gain them protest votes and idealists, but I think their party will fizzle.. and maybe wholly captured too.
Yes, @Thunderhawk, no one is standing out, right now. It'll stay pretty much as a status quo until someone does.

I don't like O'Toole as I think he's a bit of a populist, just like Kenney in AB, and that turned out to be a shit-show.

I might vote for Singh, again. NDP did very well in AB, until idiots bought the populist, Kenney. They're now regretting it.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

On the 17th April 2022 in resonse to @Istanbulle[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving b[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]