Trump Supports Stacy Abrams Over Brian Kemp - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Now this is funny! :lol:

Dean Obeidallah of CNN wrote:Has hell frozen over? Are pigs now airborne? Has Donald Trump stopped lying?!

Impossible, you might be thinking. Well, consider another impossibility that happened this weekend: I found myself agreeing with something Trump said at his rally Saturday in Georgia.

No, not his laundry list of lies about the 2020 election. It was Trump's remark that having Stacey Abrams as governor of the Peach State would be "better" than current GOP Gov. Brian Kemp.

As shocking as it is for me to agree with the man who allegedly incited the January 6 act of "domestic terrorism" (an accusation he denies), Trump is 100% correct about Abrams. But his comments this weekend weren't about the truth that the political powerhouse, who's the former minority leader for the Georgia House of Representatives, would be excellent in Kemp's position. It was all about his anger at Kemp -- which reveals so much about how dangerous the GOP is to our democracy under Trump's leadership.

In 2018, Trump endorsed Kemp in a hotly contested primary. But two years later, Trump turned on Kemp for the sole reason that the governor refused to join Trump's un-American effort to overturn the 2020 election, choosing to remain more loyal to the US Constitution.

Kemp wasn't the only Republican state official who refused to help Trump subvert the will of voters -- and Trump said as much at his rally in Perry on Saturday as he slammed various politicians, like "terrible lieutenant governor" Geoff Duncan. But it was Kemp who was the focus of the disgraced former President's speech, with Trump calling the governor "disastrous" and repeatedly telling his fans Abrams would be preferable for the job.

Abrams hasn't announced if she's running in 2022. Still, at one point during the rally, Trump said, "Stacey, would you like to take his place? It's OK with me." He also told his adoring fans that "having (Abrams), I think, might be better than having your existing governor, if you want to know the truth -- might very well be better."

On that, Trump is absolutely right. Abrams would be a much, much better governor for the people of Georgia than Kemp, who signed a sweeping voter suppression measure into law earlier this year that not only makes it illegal to provide water or food to people waiting to vote, but alarmingly could pave the way for state GOP officials to overturn election results. Recent reporting by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution also found that Kemp's administration dismissed advice from health experts during the pandemic, was slow to act at the outset and placed economic concerns over protecting residents -- conclusions that Kemp's team has disputed.

This, however, is not the first time Trump has slammed Kemp for not conspiring with him to overturn the 2020 election -- despite three recounts affirming Biden's win. At a December rally in Georgia in advance of the January 5 Senate run-off, Trump trashed Kemp for not assisting him to illegally overturn the election, leading the crowd to boo Kemp. And on the night before the run-off, Trump was back in Georgia, again denouncing Kemp for not joining in his coup attempt. The exiting President vowed that he would be back in the state "in a year and a half, campaigning against your governor."

And just days before Saturday's rally, Trump told a conservative radio host that if somebody ran against Kemp in the primary, "they'd win." He then added more ominous words for Kemp's future prospects: "He's not going to be able to win the general election anyway, because the base isn't going to show up for him."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/26/opinions ... index.html
Last edited by tomskunk on 28 Sep 2021 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
tomskunk wrote:
@late

I gotta ask, how do Trump supporters feel about Trump, supporting Stacy Abrams over Brian Kemp? Are they OK with their Dear Leader doing this?

It's a cult.

The ones that can think already left the party (except for the pros, it's their paycheck). Trump wasn't kidding when he said he could shoot somebody and they wouldn't care.
XogGyux wrote:
Let's be clear, this is an unrealistic match and when it is time, chances are Kemp will be wiped out during primaries by an Uber Trumpian guy. Trump is simply pissed off.
This is how toxic he is for the republican party.

That's been a problem for Republicans for a generation or two. They can't do their job in Congress, even if they know what they are doing and want to...

Because if they do, they'll get primaried by an extreme Right candidate. Now, with Trump, it's gotten worse.
late wrote:That's been a problem for Republicans for a generation or two. They can't do their job in Congress, even if they know what they are doing and want to...

Because if they do, they'll get primaried by an extreme Right candidate. Now, with Trump, it's gotten worse.

Well, this is a self-inflicted wound. They had a thousand opportunities to steer the party away from Trump, during the 2020 election primaries, during the impeachments, when trump finally lost and many many many other opportunities. Now they keep trying to rub themselves on Trump to see what sticks, and one thing is clear, everyone that gets in contact with Trump ends up having their careers ruined or become a laughing stock or both.
tomskunk wrote:@XogGyux @late

I am going to laugh my ass off if Abrams runs and gets elected governor.

Well, she did fairly well, within 1.5%. She was an important figure during the last election, she has gained national notoriety as well. If she decides to run, it is almost guaranteed that she will be the democratic nominee. She has only increased her political grip since then, she has a very decent chance at making it if she goes for it.

:lol: People kill for beliefs all the time. The […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Also, the military-industrial complex isn't as al[…]

:knife: Nobody sanctioned the US for the war in[…]

World War II Day by Day

https://i.ibb.co/ykKYKbM/IMG-0136[…]