"Russia is the ghost of America's christmas future" - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
B0ycey wrote:
For an OP, you haven't really addressed the book.

There is a vague reference to the Republicans destroying democracy and that America will be run by psychopaths. So what exactly is in the book that says that? Quote it if you feel like. Or just explain why the Republicans are going to ruin democracy if you want to do it that way.

But actually provide some context. Because where I am sitting, the Republican SCOTUS rejected the Republican candidates appeal that the election was rigged, that the few idiots that entered the Capitol hadn't a clue what to do next and are heading to jail, the Republicans disowned them and condemned their actions, the Army didn't align to Trump in any way shape or form and Trump left office when Biden was swore in anyway. Those aren't actions of a party rejecting democracy. Those are actions that the legal framework works and even a sore loser won't enact a coup despite his ponzi.

It's not about the book, it's about the thought.

As I pointed out already, I've been doing that for years. Which party is pushing voter suppression tactics and laws, both federally and in many states? Which party's Senate Majority Leader refused to even have a confirmation hearing for a SCOTUS nominee under a Democratic President? Which party is renowned for its gerrymandered Congressional Districts? Which party's President (along with a whole bunch of Congressional reps and Senators) went as far as inciting a riot/insurrection/coup to try to overturn a democratic election? And which party's former prez is STILL asserting that the election was 'stolen'? (It wasn't, btw)

Which ignores all the crap Republicans have pulled since the Jan 6 coup attempt... Since you are ignoring the news, here's some relevant history:
https://acoup.blog/2021/01/15/miscellanea-insurrections-ancient-and-modern-and-also-meet-the-academicats/
late wrote:It's not about the book, it's about the thought.

The book is the OP. There is even a link. The thought is barely a line. Although it was pointless in any case. There is no push from the Republicans to destroy US democracy and many are very pro the constitution and even more patriotic than Democrats on that regard anyway. What is happening though is two parties that don't trust each other. So we have to cypher though all this BS you peddle which you have for no reason because of your partizan bias for one party. I am not American and perhaps more Democrats leaning given the affiliation each party represents is more to my thinking and as such I don't have a bias. Given that I don't have an interest to be partizan I will tell you how it is and am more accurate than you on this regard it seems.

As I pointed out already, I've been doing that for years. Which party is pushing voter suppression tactics and laws, both federally and in many states? Which party's Senate Majority Leader refused to even have a confirmation hearing for a SCOTUS nominee under a Democratic President? Which party is renowned for its gerrymandered Congressional Districts? Which party's President (along with a whole bunch of Congressional reps and Senators) went as far as inciting a riot/insurrection/storming/whatever to try to overturn a democratic election? And which party's former prez is STILL asserting that the election was 'stolen'? (It wasn't, btw)

Right, let's go right to the beginning shall we. Right back when Trump was elected. The Democrats didn't accept that result and then we had four years of Mueller. Not that I think collusion between Russia didn't happen, although I doubt it changed the result so perhaps it was a wasted witch-hunt. So the Democrats started the fight as it happened. Then we had Harris say that she wouldn't take any vaccine under the Trump administration, Pelosi basically throwing her toys out in congress every other week, turning up for a haircut during lockdown I might add. We had something like fifty government shut downs because they couldn't agree on fiscal responsibility with the GOP, Biden complaining about Trumps border policy and the copying it when the numbers crossing the border became too high and then talk of stacking the SCOTUS because Gunsberg died a few months early. Also both parties practice gerrymandering so that isn't exactly a Republican led policy. However the Republican Party tend to benefit from it more due to Democrats living more in high density areas. Which then leads to voter ID. It isn't anti democratic to demand ID when voting. However given the practice penalises the poor, it shouldn't be surprising both parties are on the opposite side on the issue. Had it penalise the rich, they would be on different sides of the debate I guess.

But even if we accept that Trump didn't accept the vote and nor did his supporters, his supporter had the chance to stage a coup and ultimately took selfies. Perhaps because the insurrection was merely a protest and only good fortune got them into the Capitol anyway. They now await prosecution and those who have already been to court have denounced Trump anyway. How do you expect democracy to fall when the insurgents don't have a plan of action? As for Trump, when he lost the election, his failure to accept the result had nothing to do with democracy and everything to do with paying for his election loss. It was a ponzi. His supporters would pay Trump to take his case to court (the legal framework) and in return they got Guilaini for free sweating out his hair gel. Would a serious Trump who thought he could win reelection by over turning four States, hire such a fool who set up press conferences in front of dildo shops? I doubt it. And I doubt it given he left office once Biden was swore in and then moved his ponzi to an election campaign that I don't see him running in.
B0ycey wrote:
The book is the OP. There is even a link. The thought is barely a line.

There is no push from the Republicans to destroy US democracy and many are very pro the constitution and even more patriotic than Democrats on that regard anyway.

The thought is the title of this thread. Which means it's the topic, which is obvious.

Patriots don't attack Congress.
late wrote:The thought is the title of this thread. Which means it's the topic, which is obvious.

Patriots don't attack Congress.

The title of the thread is ambiguous and frankly doesn't say much. Although it should be said that Republicans did condemn the riot which was a small faction of Trump delusionists, Trump asked them to go home anyway and now nobody wants to be part of them... including Trump. But what I cannot grasp is that you are so partizan that you think these people who had the opportunity to stage a coup and ultimately didn't was the moment in history that the great United States was about to fall and you are going to turn into Russia now. That isn't going to happen. There is still going to be elections and whoever loses are going to claim foul play. There won't be foul play of course. But that is what happens when you have two parties that don't trust each other and domestic affairs are fraying the system.
B0ycey wrote:
The title of the thread is ambiguous and frankly doesn't say much.

Although it should be said that Republicans did condemn the riot which was a small faction of Trump delusionists

Trump asked them to go home anyway and now nobody wants to be part of them... including Trump.

But what I cannot grasp is that you are so partizan that you think these people who had the opportunity to stage a coup and ultimately didn't was the moment in history that the great United States was about to fall and you are going to turn into Russia now.

That isn't going to happen. There is still going to be elections and whoever loses are going to claim foul play. There won't be foul play of course. But that is what happens when you have two parties that don't trust each other and domestic affairs are fraying the system.

IOW, you didn't understand it. It's not complicated.

Republican politicians, for the most part, wound up supporting the traitors, or just avoided the topic as much as they could.

Republicans are right now trying to subvert elections so that they will always win. That's the potential christmas future the title refers to...

Actually, there is foul play going on as we speak, with their skullduggery headed for the courts.
@late

The Republicans are so good at subverting elections they somehow still lost the last election when they had the sitting president. :lol:

The truth is both parties are guilty of gerrymandering and voter ID is down to state law. There is nothing anti democratic about asking for ID to vote, although where you sit on the issue depends on the party you support. That isn't to say the Republicans won't do every nasty trick to bend the rules to their favor, only that the Democrats will do the same tricks. There will still be elections happening for the foreseeable election cycles. Nonetheless at this moment in time you are sounding the same BS the Trumpist did when they lost the last election. Claim the other side is guilty of fraud without providing anything of substance. Sometimes you just have to say, we have an electoral committee and we should just trust that the system works don't you think.
B0ycey wrote:[usermention=41202]

@late[/usermention]

The Republicans are so good at subverting elections they somehow still lost the last election when they had the sitting president.

The truth is both parties are guilty of gerrymandering and voter ID is down to state law.

There is nothing anti democratic about asking for ID to vote, although where you sit on the issue depends on the party you support. That isn't to say the Republicans won't do every nasty trick to bend the rules to their favor, only that the Democrats will do the same tricks. There will still be elections happening for the foreseeable election cycles. Nonetheless at this moment in time you are sounding the same BS the Trumpist did when they lost the last election. Claim the other side is guilty of fraud without providing anything of substance. Sometimes you just have to say, we have an electoral committee and we should just trust that the system works don't you think.

Since the Supreme Court ripped the guts out of the VRA it's been a constant fight, there are always multiple court cases going.

But after Trump lost, they went absolutely nuts, introducing over 400 measures to mess with voting. The Dems have nothing like that. And they want to clean up elections, Republicans want to make sure they never lose.

https://twitter.com/narrative_hole/status/17808380[…]

It is not an erosion of democracy to point out hi[…]

@FiveofSwords , when do you plan to call for a r[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

There are intelligent and stupid ways to retain p[…]